Leather Stock cuff question

here is a place to discuss anything related to Henry
Marinus
Tenderfoot
United States of America

Leather Stock cuff question

Post by Marinus » Wed Sep 28, 2022 11:47 pm

Hello!
I own an All Weather 45/70. I’m about to add a nice leather cuff to the buttstock with ammo loops. Here’s my question: can I leave this thing on my rifle while stored in my safe? Or will it cause problems due to moisture? I can’t find any solid info on this topic.
Thanks!
0 x

BrokenolMarine
Ranch Foreman
United States of America

Re: Leather Stock cuff question

Post by BrokenolMarine » Thu Sep 29, 2022 2:04 am

If the other firearms in your safe aren't corroding, I'd say you are good to go. The all weather has a weather resistant stock, correct? The walnut stock has been stained with a weather resistant coating. My vote would be that as long as the leather doesnt get soaked, you should be fine.

However, I would be cautious of long term storage of ammunition in the loops. i would recommend rotating the rounds by shooting and replacing them on a regular basis. This is the policy I had in place for my officers when I was a firearms instructor for our department, and what I taught in Concealed Carry classes. The leather can cause corrosion of the brass casing over time. It takes a while, but when you clean the rifle, if nothing else, prior to storage, remove the rounds and wipe them down, inspect them, then replace them in the loops.

Happy Shooting.
3 x
You can tell a lot about the character of a man...
by the way he treats those who can do nothing for him.

Marinus
Tenderfoot
United States of America

Post by Marinus » Thu Sep 29, 2022 2:19 am

BrokenolMarine wrote:
Thu Sep 29, 2022 2:04 am
If the other firearms in your safe aren't corroding, I'd say you are good to go. The all weather has a weather resistant stock, correct? The walnut stock has been stained with a weather resistant coating. My vote would be that as long as the leather doesnt get soaked, you should be fine.

However, I would be cautious of long term storage of ammunition in the loops. i would recommend rotating the rounds by shooting and replacing them on a regular basis. This is the policy I had in place for my officers when I was a firearms instructor for our department, and what I taught in Concealed Carry classes. The leather can cause corrosion of the brass casing over time. It takes a while, but when you clean the rifle, if nothing else, prior to storage, remove the rounds and wipe them down, inspect them, then replace them in the loops.

Happy Shooting.
Thanks for the reply. That’s more or less what I was thinking as well. Nothing in the safe is corroding at all. We live in Alaska and it’s pretty dry here. I’ll keep that advice in mind about the brass.
And yes, the stock is finished with a weatherproof finish. It’s very nice.
0 x

GunnyGene
Drover
United States of America

Post by GunnyGene » Thu Sep 29, 2022 6:02 am

As for ammo in the loops, it's not a problem with properly tanned leather. As long as you get one that is vegetable tanned you're good. That said veg tanned leather is more expensive than the chem tanned leather. DiamondD is one of the premier gunleather makers and only uses Hermann Oak veg tanned leather. I'm a long time customer of Diamond D, and never had a problem with any kind of corrosion or damage to guns or ammo. Btw, Diamond D is in Wasilla, AK. Not far from Anchorage. :)

Diamond D: https://www.diamonddcustomleather.com/pages/faq

Hermann Oak video

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9OYcmbOLnuY
1 x
Bellum Omnium Contra Omnes is rapidly becoming a reality (11/2023). Para Bellum.

Marinus
Tenderfoot
United States of America

Post by Marinus » Thu Sep 29, 2022 10:41 pm

GunnyGene wrote:
Thu Sep 29, 2022 6:02 am
As for ammo in the loops, it's not a problem with properly tanned leather. As long as you get one that is vegetable tanned you're good. That said veg tanned leather is more expensive than the chem tanned leather. DiamondD is one of the premier gunleather makers and only uses Hermann Oak veg tanned leather. I'm a long time customer of Diamond D, and never had a problem with any kind of corrosion or damage to guns or ammo. Btw, Diamond D is in Wasilla, AK. Not far from Anchorage. :)

Hermann Oak video

Thanks! I’ve seen their products and I’m familiar with their reputation. They’re about 30 minutes from my house. I actually purchased from an eBay seller from Ukraine. His product is really nice and affordable as well, but it took almost two months to get here due to their war.
0 x

Marinus
Tenderfoot
United States of America

Post by Marinus » Fri Sep 30, 2022 12:26 am

Here’s the leather I just put on. Pretty sexy.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
0 x

BrokenolMarine
Ranch Foreman
United States of America

Post by BrokenolMarine » Fri Sep 30, 2022 12:57 am

Looks great. 8-)
0 x
You can tell a lot about the character of a man...
by the way he treats those who can do nothing for him.

GunnyGene
Drover
United States of America

Post by GunnyGene » Fri Sep 30, 2022 12:40 pm

Marinus wrote:
Thu Sep 29, 2022 10:41 pm
GunnyGene wrote:
Thu Sep 29, 2022 6:02 am

Hermann Oak video

Thanks! I’ve seen their products and I’m familiar with their reputation. They’re about 30 minutes from my house. I actually purchased from an eBay seller from Ukraine. His product is really nice and affordable as well, but it took almost two months to get here due to their war.
Ok. Btw, how do like that Holosun? Thought about getting one for a pistol I have.
0 x
Bellum Omnium Contra Omnes is rapidly becoming a reality (11/2023). Para Bellum.

Marinus
Tenderfoot
United States of America

Post by Marinus » Fri Sep 30, 2022 4:05 pm

GunnyGene wrote:
Fri Sep 30, 2022 12:40 pm

Ok. Btw, how do like that Holosun? Thought about getting one for a pistol I have.
I like it a lot. The battery shouldn’t wear out any time soon due to the solar panel, it’s got shake-awake, and the green reticle is adjustable and really nice. I was getting great accuracy with it within a few minutes of installing it.
0 x

GunnyGene
Drover
United States of America

Post by GunnyGene » Fri Sep 30, 2022 4:18 pm

Marinus wrote:
Fri Sep 30, 2022 4:05 pm
GunnyGene wrote:
Fri Sep 30, 2022 12:40 pm

I like it a lot. The battery shouldn’t wear out any time soon due to the solar panel, it’s got shake-awake, and the green reticle is adjustable and really nice. I was getting great accuracy with it within a few minutes of installing it.
Thanks. :)
0 x