here is a place to discuss anything related to Henry
BigAl52
Forum Ambassador
United States of America

Re: Moving up from 22LR

Post by BigAl52 » Tue May 17, 2022 11:28 pm

Nice rifle rich. Congrats hope you enjoy the single shot
1 x
Don't worry about getting older and still doing stupid stuff. You'll do the stupid stuff as always, only much slower. Hold my beer and watch this.......

H001T .22LR
H001T .22LR MONUMENT VALLEY
H003T PUMP .22LR
BBS .41 MAG
SS .357
SIDE GATE 38-55

GFK
Cowboy
United States of America

Post by GFK » Wed May 18, 2022 6:57 am

220 wrote:
Tue May 17, 2022 10:56 pm
markiver54 wrote:
Tue May 17, 2022 2:39 pm
Very nice! Congratulations.
My BBS 357 likes 50 yards. Someone please correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe I read that the tragectory naturally rises some in the arc before falling which would explain better results farther away. Have fun with it!
No
From the moment it leaves a barrel a bullet is dropping it is always an arc with the amount of drop increasing as velocity drops.

Sights are always higher than the bore and angle slightly down in relation to the bore. If they were parallel to the bore the bullet would leave the barrel below the sights and then get progressively lower than the sights the further it travels.
Angling the sights slightly down means when they are level the barrel is slightly elevated, in other words the bullet always leaves the barrel being fired upwards in relation to the sights, The arc of the bullet means it will cross the sight line twice after it leaves the barrel in most cases.

So bullet is always dropping but sights give the impression it rises before it drops because they are not parallel with the barrel.
Think about open sights, you raise the rear sight to increase the sight in distance, raising the rear sight means you need to elevate the barrel further to align the front and rear sight, you are doing nothing to the bullet but you are increasing the angle it is fired at in relation to the sights.
It seems to me that we may all be referring to the line of sight. Things do come back to earth. I am not a long range shooter. But, knowing how a bullet travels is how some shoot out to 1000 yards. Maybe, others words could have been used. Yet, the idea was present: the bullet will travel pass the POA twice, or there will be an arc with respect to line of sight.
1 x
Actions speak louder than words (Matthew 7:16-20).

zara_puppy
Cowhand
United States of America

Post by zara_puppy » Thu Jun 09, 2022 11:12 pm

I got a .357 Single Shot last year just before deer season. Took two nice deer with it (and another with a Henry Single Shot .243). Point is the .357 is a fun critter to shoot. And being a Single Shot you’ll save ammo and possibly become a better shot.

And the others are right - the bullet passes through the line of sight twice. So if you set your sights to hit the center of the target at 100 yards the charts say you’ll be 1.5” high at 50 yards. So at about 30+ yards you’d be at the center of the target.

So if you set your sights like that and hunt white tails - there’s no guess work. Put the sights on the boiler room and squeeze the trigger. These figures are for standard “magnum” loads. Don’t know that I’d shoot a critter farther than 100 yards with a .357.

If you got it for plinking and target work, well, you made an outstanding choice. It’s just a super fun rifle. You’ll be able to bust clay pigeons at 100 yards all day long.
2 x