Spring has sprung. Get out and shoot your Henry

Side gate vs tube feed

here is a place to discuss anything related to Henry
GtownGeorge
Tenderfoot
United States of America

Side gate vs tube feed

Post by GtownGeorge » Sat Apr 02, 2022 9:36 pm

I wanted a lever action, looked at Henry, Rossi and Marlin. Bought a Henry Big Boy Steel in 357 for 2 reasons. First reason was its a Henry, second reason it was tube feed. This was B4 Henry added the side gate. My neighbor has a Rossi and he said your fingers will wear out before you are done shooting. I wish I had known Henry was going to add the side gate as I can see the advantage of one when you may need a quick reload.

Now the big question and I think I know the answer but I have to ask. Can you add a side gate?
0 x
Henry Big Boy Steel 357
Ruger Wrangler
Ruger PCC
Ruger Blackhawk 357
RIA 1911 9mm
RIA M200
CZ 455 combo (22/17hmr)
Marlin 60

Vaquero
Ranch Boss
United States of America

Re: Side gate vs tube feed

Post by Vaquero » Sun Apr 03, 2022 8:13 am

Congrats on the new Henry, and No to the question. Sorry.

I've never understood why the Henry didn't have the side loading gate the whole time.🤔
The tube loading only has one advantage in my opinion, and that is ease of unloading and that's it.
I do own a pair of CF Henrys that are tube load only, and it's fine and I wouldn't sell either just to get a side gate.
But then again Henry doesn't offer the 41 in a side gate model.😡

RP
0 x
Monte Walsh "You have No idea how little I care". :lol:

Ain't No Apologies for My Temperament :shock:
Si vis pacem, para bellum
H001, H006, H012

GFK
Cowboy
United States of America

Post by GFK » Sun Apr 03, 2022 8:30 am

Congratulations on your Henry! You should be fine with the tube load. I have Marlins and a Henry. I find myself trying to be careful when loading the Marlins. I don't want to scratch the receiver. To me, the advantage of a loading gate is not taking the firearm out of service to reload. In a shoot out, that may come in handy. Practice shooting or hunting, not so much. If need be, a round can always be loaded in the chamber. At any rate, happy shooting!
1 x
Actions speak louder than words (Matthew 7:16-20).

DsGrouse
Cattle Driver
United States of America

Post by DsGrouse » Sun Apr 03, 2022 9:14 am

For me i plan on shooting suppressed most of the time. Because of that side gate is a must. As for loading the side gate, I load one half way, and use the next round to push the first fully into the tube. I only seat the final round in the tube with my fingers.
0 x

GunnyGene
Drover
United States of America

Post by GunnyGene » Sun Apr 03, 2022 9:34 am

Vaquero wrote:
Sun Apr 03, 2022 8:13 am
Congrats on the new Henry, and No to the question. Sorry.

I've never understood why the Henry didn't have the side loading gate the whole time.🤔
The tube loading only has one advantage in my opinion, and that is ease of unloading and that's it.
I do own a pair of CF Henrys that are tube load only, and it's fine and I wouldn't sell either just to get a side gate.
But then again Henry doesn't offer the 41 in a side gate model.😡

RP
Lever guns, especially the Henry, were designed to replace muzzle loaders during the Civil War era, not to compete with early 1900's box mag designs or AR's, so we shouldn't expect them to do what they were never designed for. :) If a fast reload is required, I'd suggest carrying at least one revolver in the same caliber as the rifle, which was common during that unpleasantness back then and still is today. For me that's a .41 mag Henry and a Ruger NMBH. If that ain't enough, I guess I'd just be lunch. :)
0 x
Bellum Omnium Contra Omnes is rapidly becoming a reality (11/2023). Para Bellum.

Luv the lever
Cowhand
United States of America

Post by Luv the lever » Sun Apr 03, 2022 12:24 pm

GFK wrote:
Sun Apr 03, 2022 8:30 am
Congratulations on your Henry! You should be fine with the tube load. I have Marlins and a Henry. I find myself trying to be careful when loading the Marlins. I don't want to scratch the receiver. To me, the advantage of a loading gate is not taking the firearm out of service to reload. In a shoot out, that may come in handy. Practice shooting or hunting, not so much. If need be, a round can always be loaded in the chamber. At any rate, happy shooting!
I didn’t buy a brass side gate because the scratches would drive me crazy and always use the tube. At the range a couple weeks ago my buddy shot it and felt the need to reload using the gate and scratched it. AR’s are for quick loading, most long semi autos and bolts only have 4-6 round mags that take longer to load than a tube does so I don’t understand how so many feel the need to side gate. Personally? Both are better than only 1 way to load.

I do get the issue with suppression.
0 x

Cattle Driver
Australia

Post by 220 » Sun Apr 03, 2022 4:52 pm

If side gate option is available I would go with it without hesitation.
All my pistol cal levers I have reduced loads for small game and the ability to quickly and easily top off the mag and chamber a reduced load is lost with tube loading.
Also find myself topping up the mag on the run with 30/30 & 45/70 when bombing mobs of hogs Just not possible without a side gate.
2 x

Rifletom
Deputy Marshal
United States of America

Post by Rifletom » Sun Apr 03, 2022 5:36 pm

I can only add this: I no longer hunt, so, no need for loading "fast' thru the side gate. No one is chasing me, so, tube feed is fine for me. I get that some prefer the side gate, no problem, it's a preference. My two Henry's[.357 & .45 Colt] are tube feed. They are fine for my needs, which is desert plinking.
0 x

Conax
Cowhand
United States of America

Post by Conax » Sun Apr 03, 2022 8:29 pm

I've had Marlins but the Henry only came with the tube. At first it seemed awkward. I don't pull the tube clear out, I rest the rifle upside down on the bench, pull the tube out to clear the opening, drop in the rounds and close it. I suppose in combat the side gate would be handy, but so would magazines and a gas operated semi.
My fingers never get sore or pinched and loading is probably quicker for me through the tube.
I would buy either type if I liked the rifle. I have an SKS that is supposed to be easy to load with clips, but I find it easier (but slower) to load it one by one.
Thank goodness for relaxed, fun shooting.
2 x

DsGrouse
Cattle Driver
United States of America

Post by DsGrouse » Sun Apr 03, 2022 8:36 pm

Conax wrote:
Sun Apr 03, 2022 8:29 pm
I have an SKS that is supposed to be easy to load with clips, but I find it easier (but slower) to load it one by one.
Thank goodness for relaxed, fun shooting.

There is something to this. When shooting at an indoor range I never load my magazines full up anymore. My eyes need a break from the front sight in the ranges dimn light. So, I load 2, 3, or maybe if I feel spunky 5. I find I am far more accurate, faster, and end up with less eyes strain if I give my self that bit of rest between those few rounds.
1 x