here is a place to discuss anything related to Henry
GFK
Cowboy
United States of America

Re: Henry Quality?

Post by GFK » Fri Mar 04, 2022 6:35 am

leverjc wrote:
Thu Mar 03, 2022 9:06 pm
The whole barrel looks like those pics. The first 20 or so rounds it shoots ok but the more I shoot the worse the accuracy gets. The good news is the misses for last 20 shots at the silhouettes I can blame on the rifle. lol I just can't deal with Henry anymore, I just wish Winchester or Uberti were more available.
I can understand. You should not have to. But, do you think that a gunsmith could help?
0 x
Actions speak louder than words (Matthew 7:16-20).

Travlin
Cowboy

Post by Travlin » Fri Mar 04, 2022 8:22 am

A gunsmith could help him by installing a new barrel. If you spent big $$$ on a new vehicle how would you feel if you had to put a new engine in it and pay for it yourself? I wonder if this has happened because "The Man" is no longer president of H.R.A. I hate to think that H.R.A. will become the new remlin as for as quality of their rifles and shotguns. Those of you that have followed the Remington/Marlin story know what I mean.
2 x

ol'pole
Cowhand
United States of America

Post by ol'pole » Fri Mar 04, 2022 10:10 am

Travlin wrote:
Fri Mar 04, 2022 8:22 am
A gunsmith could help him by installing a new barrel. If you spent big $$$ on a new vehicle how would you feel if you had to put a new engine in it and pay for it yourself? I wonder if this has happened because "The Man" is no longer president of H.R.A. I hate to think that H.R.A. will become the new remlin as for as quality of their rifles and shotguns. Those of you that have followed the Remington/Marlin story know what I mean.
All of this was going on with Anthony at the helm and running the company, he didn't care, all he wanted was the money.
On 1/24 I had a 1/2 hour telephone conversation with Andy W the new prez of Henry and I asked him why Henry's 'color case hardening' scratches so easily. I was told by AW that Henry doesn't do traditional bone and charcoal CCH but he claims that they case harden the receivers and use a dipping process for color, I guess like dying eggs for Easter. I liken that to going to a jewelry store buying what your told is a diamond and getting a cubic zirconium. I think that's called FRAUD. What is the cost of dipping the receiver $5-10 and they charge almost $2oo for the CCH upgrade, I finding this is typical for them, like the old used car salesman, guarantee the car is in perfect condition and it doesn't last as he said.
The old adage applies when dealing with Henry "Let the buyer beware" :o No wonder they give you a lifetime warranty, you will probably need it.
2 x
I love my country but I fear my government

GFK
Cowboy
United States of America

Post by GFK » Fri Mar 04, 2022 10:46 am

Travlin wrote:
Fri Mar 04, 2022 8:22 am
I can understand. Actually, I paid to have an engine rebuilt twice, within a year (once in California then in Florida). Due to the 3,000 miles distance, I chose to try again. The second time was better. But, I do understand your point. I was just wondering what would be the best way to move forward, with the least amount of frustration. To me, it seem like you got a freebie, for your troubles? If I read your post correctly, you got a refund and a rifle? If so, almost anything that you do is to the positive, including selling it. If your cost into the rifle is a barrel, that may not be too bad? Me, I might would think about replacing the barrel.
Last edited by GFK on Sun Mar 06, 2022 12:02 pm, edited 3 times in total.
0 x

BigAl52
Forum Ambassador
United States of America

Post by BigAl52 » Fri Mar 04, 2022 10:47 am

Do they not give you a choice of your money back?
0 x
Don't worry about getting older and still doing stupid stuff. You'll do the stupid stuff as always, only much slower. Hold my beer and watch this.......

H001T .22LR
H001T .22LR MONUMENT VALLEY
H003T PUMP .22LR
BBS .41 MAG
SS .357
SIDE GATE 38-55

Shakey Jake
Drover
United States of America

Post by Shakey Jake » Fri Mar 04, 2022 11:16 am

Correct me if I'm wrong but didn't someone post that Henry farmed out the manufacture of the barrels? Seems like I remember that.
Jake
0 x

Shakey Jake
Drover
United States of America

Post by Shakey Jake » Fri Mar 04, 2022 11:17 am

leverjc wrote:
Thu Mar 03, 2022 7:31 pm
This is what my fifth bore on my BBS looks like.

IMG110101-014123F.JPG[attachment=0]IMG110101-014201F.JPG
That's horrible. Maybe I should borescope mine.
Jake
0 x

PJM
Cattle Driver
United States of America

Post by PJM » Fri Mar 04, 2022 12:53 pm

Based on what I am reading, I will probably limit my H's to the 2 I have. No problems with my cch 30-30 or my ss .44 mag. I did raise issue of shallowness of rifling on the .44. It is very accurate though, in spite of it. Henry best beware of Ruger at least as far as lever guns are concerned.
1 x

GFK
Cowboy
United States of America

Post by GFK » Fri Mar 04, 2022 3:51 pm

Well, Henry is still an option for me. From buying firearms over the past several years, I have learned that it is best to inspect them, like most things that I buy. Things are made by people, and some people do a better job than others. Good, bad or ugly, we are subject to the work of others.
1 x

markiver54
Deputy Marshal
United States of America

Post by markiver54 » Fri Mar 04, 2022 6:00 pm

Something does not seem right here. ( this thread, that is ). I have never heard of anyone so disgruntled with Henry. Not doubting anyone here, just stating based on my own experience. I have three with no issues. Sorry to those who have had a bad experience. I, personally, would buy another tomorrow.
3 x
I'm your Huckleberry