Ranch Foreman
United States of America

Re: Henry Quality?

Post by fortyshooter » Fri Mar 04, 2022 7:05 pm

ol'pole wrote:
Fri Mar 04, 2022 10:10 am
Travlin wrote:
Fri Mar 04, 2022 8:22 am
A gunsmith could help him by installing a new barrel. If you spent big $$$ on a new vehicle how would you feel if you had to put a new engine in it and pay for it yourself? I wonder if this has happened because "The Man" is no longer president of H.R.A. I hate to think that H.R.A. will become the new remlin as for as quality of their rifles and shotguns. Those of you that have followed the Remington/Marlin story know what I mean.
All of this was going on with Anthony at the helm and running the company, he didn't care, all he wanted was the money.
On 1/24 I had a 1/2 hour telephone conversation with Andy W the new prez of Henry and I asked him why Henry's 'color case hardening' scratches so easily. I was told by AW that Henry doesn't do traditional bone and charcoal CCH but he claims that they case harden the receivers and use a dipping process for color, I guess like dying eggs for Easter. I liken that to going to a jewelry store buying what your told is a diamond and getting a cubic zirconium. I think that's called FRAUD. What is the cost of dipping the receiver $5-10 and they charge almost $2oo for the CCH upgrade, I finding this is typical for them, like the old used car salesman, guarantee the car is in perfect condition and it doesn't last as he said.
The old adage applies when dealing with Henry "Let the buyer beware" :o No wonder they give you a lifetime warranty, you will probably need it.
Unless Henry is cutting cost now they used to ship CCH receivers to Tyler Gunworks for real color case hardening process. The two Henrys I have with CCH look beautiful. You can compare it with a Uberti and tell the difference.
3 x

leverjc
Cattle Driver
United States of America

Post by leverjc » Fri Mar 04, 2022 9:56 pm

BigAl52 wrote:
Fri Mar 04, 2022 10:47 am
Do they not give you a choice of your money back?

I thought I said that they gave me a total reimbursement and gave me a new rifle also. I bought it because I heard about their quality and just wish what I heard was accurate, a year and a half, multiple range trips and five barrels and I still have a substandard rifle.
0 x

markiver54
Deputy Marshal
United States of America

Post by markiver54 » Fri Mar 04, 2022 10:09 pm

leverjc wrote:
Fri Mar 04, 2022 9:56 pm
BigAl52 wrote:

I thought I said that they gave me a total reimbursement and gave me a new rifle also. I bought it because I heard about their quality and just wish what I heard was accurate, a year and a half, multiple range trips and five barrels and I still have a substandard rifle.
Doesn't make any sense!
I think your case is an anomaly.
0 x
I'm your Huckleberry

Vaquero
Ranch Boss
United States of America

Post by Vaquero » Sat Mar 05, 2022 8:54 am

PJM wrote:
Fri Mar 04, 2022 12:53 pm
Based on what I am reading, I will probably limit my H's to the 2 I have. No problems with my cch 30-30 or my ss .44 mag. I did raise issue of shallowness of rifling on the .44. It is very accurate though, in spite of it. Henry best beware of Ruger at least as far as lever guns are concerned.
I totally agree about Ruger,
and like you doubt I'll own more Henrys than the 3, I presently have.
Nothing wrong with these, but they haven't made anything lately that trips my trigger other than the 38-55.
But it comes with that gawdy, carved up stock, 🤮 and I would prefer a longer barrel also.

RP
1 x
Monte Walsh "You have No idea how little I care". :lol:

Ain't No Apologies for My Temperament :shock:
Si vis pacem, para bellum
H001, H006, H012

Vaquero
Ranch Boss
United States of America

Post by Vaquero » Sat Mar 05, 2022 9:07 am

markiver54 wrote:
Fri Mar 04, 2022 10:09 pm
leverjc wrote:
BigAl52 wrote:

Doesn't make any sense!
I think your case is an anomaly.
Mark, what really pissed me off about them, a couple years back when the mag tube tore loose from the barrel mount.
I sent it to them to fix, well they replaced the barrel and the mag tube, because they had changed all that up, and
I guess they didn't have any old stock. No biggie as they got that fixed and back to me quite promptly.
BUT, when I called the day after I received it, to ask which twist rate barrel they used ,😡 well they had no F******k'n clue.
Totally unacceptable in my book.
Then he tries to tell me how to figure it out.
Told him I knew how to do it, but just thought that a reputable company would archive something like that.
I guess not, and they lost a lot of my respect right there.

RP
0 x
Monte Walsh "You have No idea how little I care". :lol:

Ain't No Apologies for My Temperament :shock:
Si vis pacem, para bellum
H001, H006, H012

markiver54
Deputy Marshal
United States of America

Post by markiver54 » Sat Mar 05, 2022 9:35 am

All of these problems are unfortunate. I guess my thinking is, that Henry does make a quality firearm and don't regret my purchaces at all.
I'll bet you can be sure that ALL the major manufacturers have had their issues. Nothing is perfect. I'm not dis-crediting some issues....just sayn'
Companies are run by Human Beings, and we all know about them! :roll: :lol:
1 x
I'm your Huckleberry

BigAl52
Forum Ambassador
United States of America

Post by BigAl52 » Sat Mar 05, 2022 9:42 am

leverjc wrote:
BigAl52 wrote:

You did and they made you hole plus gave you a rifle. I understand the frustration time spent with 5 barrels and the new rifle but at least you are only out the time you spent with the barrels.
3 x
Don't worry about getting older and still doing stupid stuff. You'll do the stupid stuff as always, only much slower. Hold my beer and watch this.......

H001T .22LR
H001T .22LR MONUMENT VALLEY
H003T PUMP .22LR
BBS .41 MAG
SS .357
SIDE GATE 38-55

JVogler
Cowhand
United States of America

Post by JVogler » Sat Mar 05, 2022 9:15 pm

Having a bad experience leaves a bad taste in one's mouth. All my handguns came Ruger even the ones I traded to get a Henry Big Boy Brass 357. I became my older brothers mentor as far as guns were concerned. He bought a Ruger SP101 8 shot 22 lr because I had one. His fired 5 rounds, on the 6th round it locked up and could not be fired. Had to be sent back to Ruger twice before it was right. Poor workmanship for a new purchase, it took several weeks to get it back. He said no more Rugers.
1 x

markiver54
Deputy Marshal
United States of America

Post by markiver54 » Sat Mar 05, 2022 9:27 pm

JVogler wrote:
Sat Mar 05, 2022 9:15 pm
Having a bad experience leaves a bad taste in one's mouth. All my handguns came Ruger even the ones I traded to get a Henry Big Boy Brass 357. I became my older brothers mentor as far as guns were concerned. He bought a Ruger SP101 8 shot 22 lr because I had one. His fired 5 rounds, on the 6th round it locked up and could not be fired. Had to be sent back to Ruger twice before it was right. Poor workmanship for a new purchase, it took several weeks to get it back. He said no more Rugers.
Evidence of problems beyond Henry. Thanks for the report JV to help keep things in perspective! 👍
0 x
I'm your Huckleberry

Travlin
Cowboy

Post by Travlin » Sat Mar 05, 2022 9:51 pm

I have a friend who has the Ruger 101 in .22 and the first time he shot it I had to help him get the cylinder open. It went back to Ruger and it turns out the barrel cylinder gap was too tight . They fixed it in short order and now it works as it should have to begin with.
0 x