Spring has sprung. Get out and shoot your Henry

Henry missing a great opportunity?

here is a place to discuss anything related to Henry
fortyshooter
Ranch Foreman
United States of America

Henry missing a great opportunity?

Post by fortyshooter » Fri Feb 11, 2022 8:47 am

Why can't they offer a couple of options on the lever rifle line like threaded barrel on their Big Boy pistol caliber carbines.
Some folks like the look of the classic straight stock wood and steel/brass type rifle along with the octagonal barrel and might like a silencer without
having to get the X version. Would save the hassle of finding a gunsmith and tearing a new rifle down and might save you some bucks.

Would love to have my .45 Carbine with the option to do so but the tube loader complicates that. So going to have it done to my .45 Rossi Ranch Hand.
0 x

JEBar
Town Marshal / Deputy Admin
United States of America

Re: Henry missing a great opportunity?

Post by JEBar » Fri Feb 11, 2022 10:55 am

there is no doubt that Henry is missing a great many opportunities .... there is a large number of calibers they could add, several different barrel lengths, a good number of different stock materials available, etc .... while they most certainly have a winning formula, they also clearly have a well researched vision for their future .... adding a side loading gate, the X series with a threaded barrel option, the Long Ranger Line are but a few examples .... I suspect that the demand for their rifles has them pretty well maxed out but history says that over time they will continue to expand their lines
2 x

Headhog
Cowboy
United States of America

Post by Headhog » Fri Feb 11, 2022 11:43 am

JEBar wrote:
Fri Feb 11, 2022 10:55 am
there is no doubt that Henry is missing a great many opportunities .... there is a large number of calibers they could add, several different barrel lengths, a good number of different stock materials available, etc .... while they most certainly have a winning formula, they also clearly have a well researched vision for their future .... adding a side loading gate, the X series with a threaded barrel option, the Long Ranger Line are but a few examples .... I suspect that the demand for their rifles has them pretty well maxed out but history says that over time they will continue to expand their lines
^^^^^^
Excellent commentary. One of the biggest mistakes in the manufacturing game is getting whipped around by customer demands and trying to satisfy everyone. A smart manufacturer knows they have to carefully pick and choose their next production changes that will produce the best long term return on their investment.

Paul
2 x

fortyshooter
Ranch Foreman
United States of America

Post by fortyshooter » Fri Feb 11, 2022 2:50 pm

Well they already have the barrels threaded for the X line. Just a matter of sending some down the line!

Ruger does special offerings with their larger distributors.
0 x

tcpip95
Wrangler
United States of America

Post by tcpip95 » Sat Feb 12, 2022 1:14 am

I just went through this on my Henry Classic (H024), but in 45-70. I had my gunsmith thread the barrel and put a Terminator muzzle brake on it. I always wanted a Henry lever action 45-70 in a brass receiver, but the thing really kicks my butt due to a shoulder that recently had major surgery. He did a fantastic job on it; I’ve got $1,800 in the rifle ($2,700 if I add in the Leupold VX-5HD Firedot scope). I don’t mind it; I’ve got something I’ve always wanted. Sure wish they’d have offered it on my rifle though.

Here's the rifle with all the work done. I had the front sight moved due to the muzzle brake installation, and had him tap and install the brass front sight. I also had the rear buckhorn sight removed. I've ordered the dovetail blank to put in there.

Here you can see the Skinner Peep Sight in brass. That is the Leupold VX-5HD 1-5x24 Firedot reticle.

Here's a look at the Terminator Muzzle Brake and the brass front sight. He had to move the front sight back about an inch.

It's now just the way I want it.
Last edited by tcpip95 on Tue Feb 15, 2022 1:16 pm, edited 3 times in total.
2 x

JEBar
Town Marshal / Deputy Admin
United States of America

Post by JEBar » Sat Feb 12, 2022 10:37 am

tcpip95 wrote:
Sat Feb 12, 2022 1:14 am
He did a fantastic job on it; I’ve got $1,800 in the rifle ($2,700 if I add in the Leupold VX-5HD Firedot scope). I don’t mind it; I’ve got something I’ve always wanted..
to me that's the most important thing
0 x

tcpip95
Wrangler
United States of America

Post by tcpip95 » Mon Feb 14, 2022 5:01 pm

Do any of these "Tribute Edition" .22 rifles make sense? They have 14 different flavors, and 3 more in the "Patriot Series". Still more in the Big Boy Series. I wonder how many they actually sell?

Having said that, I think the Steel Wildlife Edition Side Gates are beautiful - especially the 45-70. I can't say enough good things about the Steel Wildlife rifles. Perfect calibers, worthy of hanging over a fireplace or in a showcase.

I think all the .22s Tribute Edition stuff comes across as Mickey Mouse - to me it cheapens the brand. They've got a decent story, continue to follow the lines of the high quality lever action rifles, and don't be afraid to expand out but do it in a fashion that doesn't dilute brand.

Sorry, I just don't get it.
0 x

markiver54
Deputy Marshal
United States of America

Post by markiver54 » Mon Feb 14, 2022 5:12 pm

I can't help but feel that too much diversity of their manufacturing could possibly compromise quality. I personally like good 'ol Henry precision manufacturing. When most people hear Henry, it raises an eyebrow. If I want something more tactical or just plain different, then I will find it elsewhere. I'm actually surprised they even came out with the X model.
3 x
I'm your Huckleberry