Spring has sprung. Get out and shoot your Henry

44 mag suppressor

here is a place to discuss anything related to Henry
MF1991
Tenderfoot
United States of America

44 mag suppressor

Post by MF1991 » Wed Jan 19, 2022 7:57 am

Looking for some insight. Recently purchased a Henry x in 44 mag been looking to get my first suppressor. Before I bought the 44 I was looking at getting a dead air nomad for my 300 blk out. But now I want something I can use for both can’t decide between 3 the dead air primal when it’s available on silencer shop the silencerco hybrid 46 the or the griffin bushwacker 46. I do like that the bushwacker 46 is serviceable so 22 is a option through it too but not a deal breaker. Just not too many people comparing them and figured I’d come here and ask for opinions thanks again.
0 x

JEBar
Town Marshal / Deputy Admin
United States of America

Re: 44 mag suppressor

Post by JEBar » Wed Jan 19, 2022 8:10 am

first, welcome to our forum, happy to have you join us .... do hope you will feel free to read and post often .... what model of Henry do you have .. :?: .. some are more comparable with suppressors than others .... I don't use a suppressor so I can't make any recommendations

be sure to follow this link ===> [b][u][color=#FF0000]http://henryriflef ... r][/u][/b] .... by doing so you can add your Henry to our community's total
1 x

MF1991
Tenderfoot
United States of America

Post by MF1991 » Wed Jan 19, 2022 9:48 am

Thank you glad to have joined too. I have the Henry model x in 44 magnum
0 x

JEBar
Town Marshal / Deputy Admin
United States of America

Post by JEBar » Wed Jan 19, 2022 12:01 pm

as you know, the new X model comes threaded so any standard suppressor of your choice should work with it .... I'm looking forward to seeing the recommendations that will most certainly be coming
1 x

fortyshooter
Ranch Foreman
United States of America

Post by fortyshooter » Wed Jan 19, 2022 3:14 pm

Well I'm waiting on my Fed.paperwork to come thru on a silencer from Central Silencer and in the 9th month now.
Silencer is the Banish 45 and will work on any caliber 45 and lower for pistol cartridges. It's going on the .45 ACP HiPoint carbine.
Don't have any of the X Henry rifles but this one should work fine on one.
1 x

wingnut
Cowhand
United States of America

Post by wingnut » Sun Jan 23, 2022 3:09 pm

MF1991 wrote:
Wed Jan 19, 2022 7:57 am
Looking for some insight. Recently purchased a Henry x in 44 mag been looking to get my first suppressor. Before I bought the 44 I was looking at getting a dead air nomad for my 300 blk out. But now I want something I can use for both can’t decide between 3 the dead air primal when it’s available on silencer shop the silencerco hybrid 46 the or the griffin bushwacker 46. I do like that the bushwacker 46 is serviceable so 22 is a option through it too but not a deal breaker. Just not too many people comparing them and figured I’d come here and ask for opinions thanks again.
First of all, I’ll address the 46’s… These are built for up to 458 cal rifles such as the 45-70 thru the 458 Win mag. These cans will be rather large, heavy and so are the accessories. Unless you are planning to add an X or other in 45-70, no need to look there.
Your 44 mag X can be covered by most cans rated for 45 ACP, 45 Colt etc. and many are serviceable. Though large for caliber and way overkill, they can be used for 22 rimfire rifles, they would overwhelm a 22 pistol in size.
The BO is rated at a much higher pressures than are pistol cans. Therefore, I would not shoot it in a pistol can. However, for any high powered rifle or handgun 30 cal or less, I’d recommend the Harvester 30 (though not automatic rated). It is serviceable, light and has many accessories. It would not overwhelm a 22 rimfire pistol much. YMMV.
2 x
You're born & you die. In between you get to shoot a bunch guns. Kind of sums up life to me. - Colorado Bob

DsGrouse
Cattle Driver
United States of America

Post by DsGrouse » Sun Jan 23, 2022 7:35 pm

I have had 10 cans, my first my aac pilot died from use. I run 8 Dead Air cans. 4 Ghost M's, 1 mask, 1 Sandman TI, 1 odessa 9mm and one Nomad 30. My 10th can is a 45 cal form 1, Titanium tube, first 3 stainless baffles last 4 are Ti. It will handle any 45 cal rifle round out there.

So, let's focus on a couple of things. Most 45 cal cans are meant for 45 caliber Pistol rounds. The few you mentioned are rated for rifle rounds, true centerfire rifles, and may not give you the best performance on a lever gun using 44 mag.

Are you going to shoot centerfire rifle rounds of 357 or larger? Then yeah look at those three. If not, then I recommend looking at a solid pistol caliber can, solid 22lr can, and a solid rifle can. I like my Ghost m's. 3 live on SBR's 9,40,45acp one lives on a pistol. They handle those situations well.

If you are going to broaden your horizon in the world of cans and shoot 223/308 out of that 45 caliber rifle can, then you will not likely be happy.

You can shoot 223/308 out of the 45 cal rifle-rated cans. But the sound deadening, and the tone will be off. You are better off looking at a dedicated can for 223/308, 45 caliber rifle or pistol rounds, and a 22lr can.

Why do I recommend 3 cans? First 22lr cans are simply the best, hands down, they are the most enjoyable of any can. The centerfire pistol cans work admirably well in a pinch but are never as good as a dedicated 22lr can. Again that first-round pop, overall sound mitigation, and tone will be off.

Second, the centerfire pistol cans have good performance across most pistol calibers. a 45 can be a couple of decibels louder than a 9mm can when shooting sub bore caliber bullets through it. It will provide significant sound reduction for all rounds fired.

Third, a dedicated rifle can make shooting rifles for extended periods of time very pleasant. you have upwards of a 30% reduction in recoil, 20 decible point reduction in all supersonic rounds, and in many cases, when timed correctly, a more consistent group.

So with three solid cans, you can shoot longer, more accurately, and with less hearing damage than any other day of long shooting.

As for what cans?
While I have dead air cans, I bought them buy one get one free a few years back. I can honestly say I like the keymo mount system a lot. I also am partial to Dead Air's trilug mount as all my SBR PCC's are using trilugs. I am running a Sico 45 acp trilug mount on my form 1 can mounted to my bnt ghm 45.

Aside from the mounts, I can honestly say any modern can, designed within the last 10 years will be phenomenal. It won't make guns silent, guns with cans are still louder than jet engines. Even when fired with sub-sonic rounds. They do make the noise more bearable after long hours of shooting, the recoilless, and overall shooting a pleasure.

A couple of things to note. They put gas back into the guns action, all guns, nearly all cans. The cleaning regimen will need to speed up, usually every 200 rounds or so. When firing centerfire pistols with cans, you will get gas in the face. It is less with short/K configuration cans, but you will get it smack dab up your nose and in your eyes. Make sure you wear glasses always.
1 x

MF1991
Tenderfoot
United States of America

Post by MF1991 » Mon Jan 24, 2022 7:21 am

wingnut wrote:
Sun Jan 23, 2022 3:09 pm
MF1991 wrote:
Wed Jan 19, 2022 7:57 am
First of all, I’ll address the 46’s… These are built for up to 458 cal rifles such as the 45-70 thru the 458 Win mag. These cans will be rather large, heavy and so are the accessories. Unless you are planning to add an X or other in 45-70, no need to look there.
Your 44 mag X can be covered by most cans rated for 45 ACP, 45 Colt etc. and many are serviceable. Though large for caliber and way overkill, they can be used for 22 rimfire rifles, they would overwhelm a 22 pistol in size.
The BO is rated at a much higher pressures than are pistol cans. Therefore, I would not shoot it in a pistol can. However, for any high powered rifle or handgun 30 cal or less, I’d recommend the Harvester 30 (though not automatic rated). It is serviceable, light and has many accessories. It would not overwhelm a 22 rimfire pistol much. YMMV.
Thanks for the reply. I think I’m probably gonna go that route. Looking at the rugged obsidian 45. I do have a 45-70 marlin 1895sbl but it is not threaded and probably not planning on doing so because it’ll take a good gunsmith to do so.
0 x

MF1991
Tenderfoot
United States of America

Post by MF1991 » Mon Jan 24, 2022 7:28 am

DsGrouse wrote:
Sun Jan 23, 2022 7:35 pm
I have had 10 cans, my first my aac pilot died from use. I run 8 Dead Air cans. 4 Ghost M's, 1 mask, 1 Sandman TI, 1 odessa 9mm and one Nomad 30. My 10th can is a 45 cal form 1, Titanium tube, first 3 stainless baffles last 4 are Ti. It will handle any 45 cal rifle round out there.

So, let's focus on a couple of things. Most 45 cal cans are meant for 45 caliber Pistol rounds. The few you mentioned are rated for rifle rounds, true centerfire rifles, and may not give you the best performance on a lever gun using 44 mag.

Are you going to shoot centerfire rifle rounds of 357 or larger? Then yeah look at those three. If not, then I recommend looking at a solid pistol caliber can, solid 22lr can, and a solid rifle can. I like my Ghost m's. 3 live on SBR's 9,40,45acp one lives on a pistol. They handle those situations well.

If you are going to broaden your horizon in the world of cans and shoot 223/308 out of that 45 caliber rifle can, then you will not likely be happy.

You can shoot 223/308 out of the 45 cal rifle-rated cans. But the sound deadening, and the tone will be off. You are better off looking at a dedicated can for 223/308, 45 caliber rifle or pistol rounds, and a 22lr can.

Why do I recommend 3 cans? First 22lr cans are simply the best, hands down, they are the most enjoyable of any can. The centerfire pistol cans work admirably well in a pinch but are never as good as a dedicated 22lr can. Again that first-round pop, overall sound mitigation, and tone will be off.

Second, the centerfire pistol cans have good performance across most pistol calibers. a 45 can be a couple of decibels louder than a 9mm can when shooting sub bore caliber bullets through it. It will provide significant sound reduction for all rounds fired.

Third, a dedicated rifle can make shooting rifles for extended periods of time very pleasant. you have upwards of a 30% reduction in recoil, 20 decible point reduction in all supersonic rounds, and in many cases, when timed correctly, a more consistent group.

So with three solid cans, you can shoot longer, more accurately, and with less hearing damage than any other day of long shooting.

As for what cans?
While I have dead air cans, I bought them buy one get one free a few years back. I can honestly say I like the keymo mount system a lot. I also am partial to Dead Air's trilug mount as all my SBR PCC's are using trilugs. I am running a Sico 45 acp trilug mount on my form 1 can mounted to my bnt ghm 45.

Aside from the mounts, I can honestly say any modern can, designed within the last 10 years will be phenomenal. It won't make guns silent, guns with cans are still louder than jet engines. Even when fired with sub-sonic rounds. They do make the noise more bearable after long hours of shooting, the recoilless, and overall shooting a pleasure.

A couple of things to note. They put gas back into the guns action, all guns, nearly all cans. The cleaning regimen will need to speed up, usually every 200 rounds or so. When firing centerfire pistols with cans, you will get gas in the face. It is less with short/K configuration cans, but you will get it smack dab up your nose and in your eyes. Make sure you wear glasses always.
Thank you for the reply the more I read up on it and the more people I talk to say the same thing you did to just get dedicated caliber cans a 30 cal can a 22 can and a 45 can for the 44. So I think that I’m gonna just go this route.
0 x

fortyshooter
Ranch Foreman
United States of America

Post by fortyshooter » Tue Jan 25, 2022 5:27 pm

Don't you have to have seperate Fed. paperwork for each silencer? That would be 600 bucks for the stamps plus the wait?

10 "cans" ? How many years did that take?
0 x