Spring has sprung. Get out and shoot your Henry

single shot in 350 legend feedback

here is a place to discuss anything related to Henry
deerwdr
Tenderfoot
United States of America

single shot in 350 legend feedback

Post by deerwdr » Tue Aug 03, 2021 11:06 am

I am looking for experience and feedback with Henry single shot rifles. I'm looking at the idea of a 350 legend, but I'm not sure Henry barrels deliver the accuracy I'm used to. What have you found with the single shot variety of Henrys?

Thanks
1 x

Shakey Jake
Drover
United States of America

Re: single shot in 350 legend feedback

Post by Shakey Jake » Tue Aug 03, 2021 11:19 am

Accuracy depends on what you want in a rifle. I'm sure it's satisfactory for hunting. I've always steered people to this video about accuracy because it's explained so well. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q2qxTc30A2c
Jake
0 x

PJM
Cattle Driver
United States of America

Post by PJM » Tue Aug 03, 2021 7:37 pm

Love my SS .44mag. Shot some nice groups with it Carries real light in the woods. If you want moa accuracy, go with a bolt action. I personally would not favor the 350 legend as it is a rimless cartridge which headspaces on the case mouth. As a result overall length and crimping are very precise, if you plan to reload. If I was to buy a second SS it would be in .308, a very reliable and versatile cartridge.
3 x

BigAl52
Forum Ambassador
United States of America

Post by BigAl52 » Tue Aug 03, 2021 9:15 pm

I have a SS in 357 and its accurate enough for me. Will it shoot hole in hole? No but Ive got great groups out of it at 50 and 75 yards. I think sometimes people expect way to much. These guns arent bench rest guns they retail for 450.00. Shooting over to counter ammo is a crap shoot sometimes as there is times when a gun just doesnt like certain ammo. If you reload you can tailor a load to your gun and usually get some pretty good accuracy. Sure once in a while you will get a gun that just shoots everything acceptable. I havd a interest in the 350 legend at one point but like PJM mentions headspacing on the casemouth isnt something I want to deal with. I would do a 357 max before I would do the legend. But thats just me. YMMV
1 x
Don't worry about getting older and still doing stupid stuff. You'll do the stupid stuff as always, only much slower. Hold my beer and watch this.......

H001T .22LR
H001T .22LR MONUMENT VALLEY
H003T PUMP .22LR
BBS .41 MAG
SS .357
SIDE GATE 38-55

deerwdr
Tenderfoot
United States of America

Post by deerwdr » Sat Aug 07, 2021 10:56 am

I guess my question was specifically about the single shot Henry barrels and their accuracy. I can find one in a 350 legend nearby but I'd like to know from your experience how they shoot. I really don't want to give up on this BBX and take the loss until I shoot a few more types of AMMO. But I want a back up plan.

With every rifle I've owned, every one, after trying 2 or 3 types of ammo ( at the most), I am satisfied using a scope set at 7 or 9 power, shooting in a lead sled on a bench at 100 yards with 2 inch groups. Every rifle I've owned. From a Marlin 30-30 , 7MM Rem Mag, 30-06 and a few others. I want to use this $800 Henry as a 50-75 yard gun with iron sights. But before I set it up with a peep sight combo or better bull horn and post sights, I want to know how it shoots. I want to know what the gun can do--not necessarily me. So while I am not impressed with any rifle shooting 2 " groups at 50 yards, I'd settle for that. But I won't take it in the woods with 4" groups from a bench at 50 yards. I'm including a recent sight in picture of the last two rounds I shot at 100 yards with a new 350 legend out of a $625 Ruger American. The Ruger barrel is crazy!

Another question, have any of you gotten good results shooting Buffalo Bore ammo. They make two that are short enough to cycle in this BBX and it may be the only thing I can get. I bought a box of cowboy 44 special the other day to try. I'll shoot anything if it flies straight
350 legend at 100 Yards_lead sled_ on a bench resize.jpg
Not sure what happened but it loaded sideways ? Who knows
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
0 x

BigAl52
Forum Ambassador
United States of America

Post by BigAl52 » Sat Aug 07, 2021 12:39 pm

I usually shoot 5 shots for group. Your Ruger looks like it shoots good and likes that ammo. As far as the Henry SS go I have not read or experienced any dissatisfaction with the barrels. They did have issues with the trigger and hammer pull which they have now addressed. Mine is great after the recall. In closing I will just say that Anthony guarantees you will be satisfied and has a lifetime warranty. If you dont like how it shoots send it back for correction or a refund.
"So while I am not impressed with any rifle shooting 2 " groups at 50 yards, I'd settle for that." Not sure I understand this comment maybe there is a typo there.

As far as Buffalo Bore ammo goes you just need to try it and see. There loads are hot. Some guns like it some dont. Like I mention shooting factory ammo is trial and error. Try some Hornady FTX.
0 x
Don't worry about getting older and still doing stupid stuff. You'll do the stupid stuff as always, only much slower. Hold my beer and watch this.......

H001T .22LR
H001T .22LR MONUMENT VALLEY
H003T PUMP .22LR
BBS .41 MAG
SS .357
SIDE GATE 38-55

Shakey Jake
Drover
United States of America

Post by Shakey Jake » Sat Aug 07, 2021 12:45 pm

My question is why a Henry when you've got the Ruger Amercian unless it's just that you don't want to use a scoped rifle.
Jake
1 x

deerwdr
Tenderfoot
United States of America

Post by deerwdr » Sat Aug 07, 2021 1:44 pm

At 50 yards from a bench, I get 1”-2” groups with sabots from my slug gun from a bench, so a rifle that only groups at 2” from that distance is poor in m6 opinion. The law changed 5his year where I hunt from shotgun only to straight wall cartridges. The ruger will be scoped up. I bought the 44 Henry after getting caught up in the marketing and my plan was to use it with iron sights when I’m in tight spots, deep brush and cover. I don’t do drives bu5 if I ever did, I’d prefer iron sights. But I assumed the Henry would be fine for any hunting.
0 x

Kissmybrass
Cattle Driver
United States of America

Post by Kissmybrass » Mon Aug 09, 2021 12:59 pm

"Hunt with a Henry" on YouTube is an excellent resource.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tdpqkd9MOX4
0 x
H010G 45-70
H006M Big Boy Classic .357
Sig 320 XCompact
S&W 686 Plus 5"
Rem 870 Tac

John E Davies
Cattle Driver
United States of America

Post by John E Davies » Mon Aug 09, 2021 3:12 pm

A pretty two shot group means nothing. I actually shoot the best groups, by far, when I only shoot once….😬

Shoot five, then you will actually have an idea of the gun’s true potential. But weird things happen, one day you may do great, another time it is like, what the heck is happening? The best group I ever shot was ten rounds of .22 LR Mini Mag 36 gr in 5/8” at 50 yards, from a CZ 453 Varmint (single set trigger, woohoo). It must have been a complete accident, because typical groups for me were 1 to 2 inches. I saved the target tho, and put it in my log binder. Where I am getting is, you can pick and choose groups, what matters most is consistency - how often you can get “good enough results.

John Davies
Spokane WA
1 x