Spring has sprung. Get out and shoot your Henry

More Newbie questions...

here is a place to discuss anything related to Henry
geezerjohn
Tenderfoot
United States of America

More Newbie questions...

Post by geezerjohn » Thu May 06, 2021 9:36 pm

...and keep in mind this (009X) is not just my first Henry, but also my first lever action. (I’m not counting the Daisy 1894 I received back in 1959:)

Q1 - WHAT BREAKS OR WEARS OUT??? I have parts/spring/repair kits set up for many of my pistols and ARs, and would like to do the same for the 30-30.

Q2 - I know there aren’t many - but are there any good Henry smiths out there? Names/links? (I know - the Catch 22 is that the really good smiths have a really long wait:(

Q3 - I’ve waited this long to get a Henry because I wanted the side gate - but boy is that gate a SOB to load (at least in 30-30)!!!! What gives? I watch vids and folks can generally load fast - not FAST, but not as slow as me:). Gate spring is quite strong - and more than a few sharp edges in there! Am I just a wimp (I’m not - really. 6’5” and 270#). But I swear I can load faster with the magazine tube. I know somebody makes a faster/lighter gate for Marlins, but I can’t find one for the X Henrys.
Any and all help greatly appreciated:)

geezerjohn
0 x

GFK
Cowboy
United States of America

Re: More Newbie questions...

Post by GFK » Fri May 07, 2021 1:48 pm

geezerjohn wrote:
Thu May 06, 2021 9:36 pm
...and keep in mind this (009X) is not just my first Henry, but also my first lever action. (I’m not counting the Daisy 1894 I received back in 1959:)

Q1 - WHAT BREAKS OR WEARS OUT??? I have parts/spring/repair kits set up for many of my pistols and ARs, and would like to do the same for the 30-30.

Q2 - I know there aren’t many - but are there any good Henry smiths out there? Names/links? (I know - the Catch 22 is that the really good smiths have a really long wait:(

Q3 - I’ve waited this long to get a Henry because I wanted the side gate - but boy is that gate a SOB to load (at least in 30-30)!!!! What gives? I watch vids and folks can generally load fast - not FAST, but not as slow as me:). Gate spring is quite strong - and more than a few sharp edges in there! Am I just a wimp (I’m not - really. 6’5” and 270#). But I swear I can load faster with the magazine tube. I know somebody makes a faster/lighter gate for Marlins, but I can’t find one for the X Henrys.

geezerjohn
First, welcome. As for Q1 and Q2, I would consider them a non-issue. Henry stands behind the product for life. Q3, I don't have a Henry with a loading gate. But, I have two Marlins. I noticed that the loading gates freeed up as time went on. If it has rough edges, you could probably take it out and smooth the edges. Use something very fine. I think I used 600 grit, when I smoothed some parts in my Marlin.

This site has some aftermarket parts for lever actions: https://rangerpointstore.com/. You may find something that you may like. Yet, I think Henry is the main source for parts.

At any rate, happy shooting!
0 x
Actions speak louder than words (Matthew 7:16-20).

geezerjohn
Tenderfoot
United States of America

Post by geezerjohn » Fri May 07, 2021 5:17 pm

The Ranger Point Store you link to has the non-Henry loading gates I referred to.

For those with Marlins and X series Henrys - are the gates close enough to possibly interchange?
And are the loading gate SPRINGS similar in dimensions? Was wondering if I could purchase a spring from them to drop tension on my X?

Plan C might be to purchase a HENRY loading gate spring from the factory, and alter it to drop the tension?

As usual - any & all assistance/suggestions would be greatly appreciated:)

geezerjohn
1 x

JEBar
Town Marshal / Deputy Admin
United States of America

Post by JEBar » Fri May 07, 2021 6:34 pm

geezerjohn wrote:
nothing really stands out as an item that has to be replaced very often .... in some cases a simple call to customer service will result in them sending you a part for free

geezerjohn wrote:
as has been noted, Henry's lifetime warranty providing quality repair service in a reasonable time period at no charge most of us choose to let them handle any issues we can't handle ourselves .... for up grades or modifications, a private gunsmith is order .... we have friend who is an outstanding gunsmith .... we have had him smooth out the trigger pull on our rifles .... for that type of work you need to find someone who really knows what he's doing

geezerjohn wrote:
none of our Henry rifles have a side loading gate .... I don't recall reading of many issues with them
0 x

fortyshooter
Ranch Foreman
United States of America

Post by fortyshooter » Fri May 07, 2021 7:30 pm

In most cases the loading gate is made of pre-bent spring steel. I believe on my Rossi I placed a thin shim washer under it so the screw didn't pull it down all the way. I don't own a side gate Henry to check this out though.
0 x

BigAl52
Forum Ambassador
United States of America

Post by BigAl52 » Fri May 07, 2021 8:33 pm

Take a wooden dowel and excise the loading gate it will probably loosen up some.
0 x
Don't worry about getting older and still doing stupid stuff. You'll do the stupid stuff as always, only much slower. Hold my beer and watch this.......

H001T .22LR
H001T .22LR MONUMENT VALLEY
H003T PUMP .22LR
BBS .41 MAG
SS .357
SIDE GATE 38-55

GFK
Cowboy
United States of America

Post by GFK » Fri May 07, 2021 9:17 pm

geezerjohn wrote:
Fri May 07, 2021 5:17 pm
The Ranger Point Store you link to has the non-Henry loading gates I referred to.
You could also give them a call. They seem to be nice people. Who knows, they may have something in the works or give you some ideas.
0 x
Actions speak louder than words (Matthew 7:16-20).

geezerjohn
Tenderfoot
United States of America

Post by geezerjohn » Fri May 07, 2021 9:25 pm

GFK wrote:
Fri May 07, 2021 9:17 pm
geezerjohn wrote:
Fri May 07, 2021 5:17 pm
You could also give them a call. They seem to be nice people. Who knows, they may have something in the works or give you some ideas.
I have some feelers out to see how similar the Marlin & Henry gates are. More to follow:)
0 x