Just got a new Henry

here is a place to discuss anything related to Henry
Gundogblue
Tenderfoot
United States of America

Just got a new Henry

Post by Gundogblue » Sun Apr 18, 2021 11:23 pm

Hi all,
I’m pretty new here, been a member for a little while but mostly just lurking until now. I just got back from the reloading section, the very nice guys there got me straight on the bore diameter of my new .357 Big Boy. This is my fourth leeeever gun, I have a Henry Golden Boy, an 1894 Marlin in 44 mag, and an 1892 Winchester (Moruku) in .45 Colt so I wanted a Big Boy in .357 to round out the collection. I got it at the gun show in Indy today, she was dirty and stiff, but I got her all cleaned and lubed and now she’s not quite as stiff but she still needs to be shot in.
I was really lookin her over and I could be wrong here, but her action looks a whole lot like my 1894 Marlin. The instructions doesn’t say how to field strip her but I’d almost be willing to bet it’s the same as the Marlin. Position the bolt half way between the ejection port, unscrew the lever and take it out and pull the bolt out of the reciever, at least that’s what it looks like to me. If that’s the case it’ll make cleaning her a breeze, and I much prefer cleaning from the breech if it’s possible. The fit and finish is flawless, and the dark walnut really sets off the brass receiver, but she’s heavy, and seems very well built. Im really excited about her, I’m gonna get things in the reloading dept set up tomorrow and I’ll be shootin her by Tuesday.
Paul
0 x

BigAl52
Forum Ambassador
United States of America

Re: Just got a new Henry

Post by BigAl52 » Sun Apr 18, 2021 11:29 pm

Welcome Paul and yes thats how the Henry’s break down for cleaning. Just make sure you dont lose the ejector clip under the bolt when you pull it out the rear.
0 x
Don't worry about getting older and still doing stupid stuff. You'll do the stupid stuff as always, only much slower. Hold my beer and watch this.......

H001T .22LR
H001T .22LR MONUMENT VALLEY
H003T PUMP .22LR
BBS .41 MAG
SS .357
SIDE GATE 38-55

Gundogblue
Tenderfoot
United States of America

Post by Gundogblue » Sun Apr 18, 2021 11:54 pm

Wow, now that’s some great news, easy cleaning, and cleaning from the breech is a much safer procedure, my new Henry’s getting better all the time! I dearly love my 1982 Winnie, but I won’t take it apart I’ve heard too many horror stories about getting them back together if your not familiar with the procedure, so at the end of shootin season I take her to the local smith for a complete tear down and cleaning. But even still I clean her after each shootin session and it takes a long time to get in there with cotton swabs, and even then ya can’t get her as clean as when they’re apart. Are there any things I should watch out for with the Big Boys?
Thanks,
Paul
0 x

JEBar
Town Marshal / Deputy Admin
United States of America

Post by JEBar » Mon Apr 19, 2021 8:55 am

delighted to see you on the open forum and am looking forward to your coming post .... be sure to follow the link below to where you may add your Henry to our community's total

http://henryrifleforums.com/viewtopic.p ... 94#p168894
0 x

Shakey Jake
Drover
United States of America

Post by Shakey Jake » Mon Apr 19, 2021 10:02 am

Welcome from the Land of Sugar! Glad you're happy with your purchase!
Jake
0 x

fortyshooter
Ranch Foreman
United States of America

Post by fortyshooter » Mon Apr 19, 2021 10:48 am

You will like shooting the .357 Henry. I shoot .357 Mag and .38 Specials thru mine and it is a very nice all around shooter.
On your 1892 Winchester.... closest thing I have to that is my Rossi Ranch Hand which is a cut down version of a 1892 and I have had it apart several times. You have to take those apart right out the box to deburr and smooth the sliding parts. After that they are slick running.

Enjoy that new Henry BB 357!
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
0 x

Rifletom
Deputy Marshal
United States of America

Post by Rifletom » Mon Apr 19, 2021 11:53 am

Agree with what forty said; you're really going to enjoy that .357 rifle. Range report when you can.
0 x