New Side Gate in the House

here is a place to discuss anything related to Henry
BatterDipt
Tenderfoot
United States of America

New Side Gate in the House

Post by BatterDipt » Thu Mar 18, 2021 9:40 pm

So the quick version is:
I've been wanting another Henry for a while, and I figure in these times I better get one more before "whatever" happens. I make a phone call to Bob's Army and Navy Store to see if they have any Henrys in stock and they say they have a 45-70. A co-worker of mine has one and he really likes it, so I think- why not. I tell them I'll be over in an hour to buy it, I grab cash from the jar and head out. It's a 45 minute drive to Bob's and on the way there I start thinking - I'm a lucky guy. I already have 3 Henrys and other guns, I don't another. So now I convince myself that I'm going to skip the new gun purchase, and today's ride is just an "ammo run" so see what I can stock up on. So a few blocks before I get to Bob's is Grice Gun Shop. It's PA's largest family gun store, and I know from other visits this year, sometimes they have ammo, sometimes they have nothing. I stop and run in and feel lucky as I see plenty of 9mm and 40SW ammo and grab a box of each and get in line at the cash register. I swear I'm ready to leave with just ammo...

And then I hear one salesman ask another - should he unbox these new Henrys and put them in the display or just leave them boxed..... Holy Schmoly! I get out of line and go over to the counter and see three boxes and ask what kind . Two Golden Boys, and a Steel 44 side gate. I ask how much for the 44 and he looks on the computer and says 825. I start shaking.., It's the Holey Grail... The Unicorn... The 44.... The gun that other lucky people found. The gun I never even hunted for because I assumed I'd be wasting my time. Ring it up and add a box of ammo!
So now I have four. I swear this is the last one ;) ;) I notice on the inspection tag that it is only one month old.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
8 x
Tom M. Central PA (for now) H012G 44Mag H006M Big Boy 357, H004M 22Mag, H001.

JEBar
Town Marshal / Deputy Admin
United States of America

Re: New Side Gate in the House

Post by JEBar » Thu Mar 18, 2021 11:28 pm

congrats on coming home with a Henry 44 Mag .... ours has proven to be a truly fine rifle .... it handles well, is very accurate, has a smooth action and it fun to fire .... I'm really looking forward to following your range reports and use impressions as you become better acquainted with yours ... be sure to follow the link below to where you can add your collection to our community's total

http://henryrifleforums.com/viewtopic.p ... 92#p165492
1 x

GFK
Cowboy
United States of America

Post by GFK » Fri Mar 19, 2021 7:33 am

Nice find! Good for you. Hope you enjoy it. I noticed that the screw for the loading gate is nicked. Just a word of advice, ensure that it stays snug. If it is like my Marlins, which I am sure that it is, the loading gate can interfere with cycling, if it becomes loose. That is one of the reasons that I ended up with a Henry. The Marlin that I have started to not cycle smoothly. I found the loading gate screw was loose. After snugging the screw, all was well, for a moment.

To ensure that this would not be an issue in the future, I snugged the screw a little more. Snap! The screw broke, the down side of the Marlin (seem screws of a metal alloy are used: probably to cut down cost). Anyway, after calling Marlin for a replacement screw, I went looking for a backup rifle (another Marlin, probably). Then, I saw this nice look rifle setting in a case, it was a Henry 30-30. It was priced $200 more than what I paid for the the Marlin, which I was looking for an inexpensive rifle when I bought the Marlin. I was just getting into hunting. And, I did not want to spend too much money on a firearm and find out that I was not to crazy about hunting. By the way, I do enjoy it. The Henry looked well made.

The rifle had a date of 2015, and that was in 2017. So, I figured that I had some time to think about it. I went and ran an errand. On the way back home, I thought: the rifle may have been sitting there for me. So, I decided that I would buy it, if it was still there on my way back. It was, and I did. I am still pleased with my purchase.

Henrys seem to be more solid than Marlins, which will probably out last a Marlin. Yet, both will probably out last me. So, snapping a screw may not be an issue. But, I would just keep it snug, if it all be the same. Since Ruger has taken over Marlin, it has posted previous owner manuals for Marlins. I noticed that the older manuals note to keep the screw for the loading gate snug, which is not noted in the manual I received. However, it does note to check all screws after use.

At any rate, happy shooting!
Last edited by GFK on Sat Mar 20, 2021 10:16 am, edited 2 times in total.
3 x
Actions speak louder than words (Matthew 7:16-20).

BigAl52
Forum Ambassador
United States of America

Post by BigAl52 » Fri Mar 19, 2021 8:23 am

If you are thinking this will be the last one and hang around here much you will get another one. Congrats on this one now you can figure out which one you need next.
3 x
Don't worry about getting older and still doing stupid stuff. You'll do the stupid stuff as always, only much slower. Hold my beer and watch this.......

H001T .22LR
H001T .22LR MONUMENT VALLEY
H003T PUMP .22LR
BBS .41 MAG
SS .357
SIDE GATE 38-55

BatterDipt
Tenderfoot
United States of America

Post by BatterDipt » Fri Mar 19, 2021 8:40 am

GFK- you got me scared and I had to examine the gun again, There's no nick on the screw, It is a camera flash reflection of some excess factory gun oil. Anyway, the action of this one feels smoother that my brass 357.
I now regret not buying a Marlin 336 last year back when every sporting shop had them on sale as doorbuster specials including a scope.

Take care!
2 x
Tom M. Central PA (for now) H012G 44Mag H006M Big Boy 357, H004M 22Mag, H001.

GFK
Cowboy
United States of America

Post by GFK » Fri Mar 19, 2021 11:44 am

BatterDipt wrote:
Fri Mar 19, 2021 8:40 am
GFK- you got me scared and I had to examine the gun again, There's no nick on the screw, It is a camera flash reflection of some excess factory gun oil. Anyway, the action of this one feels smoother that my brass 357.
I now regret not buying a Marlin 336 last year back when every sporting shop had them on sale as doorbuster specials including a scope.

Take care!
Hi BatterDipt,

No need to be scared. It may be just the reflection of the light. Below is what I was referring to. Nonetheless, I think you should be fine. My main point was to check the screws after each use. I do have a 336W (with a scope), and the issue happened in 2017. I have not had an issue since. If I do, the Henry is standing ready for action. But, I suspect your Henry will be ready for action, in most cases. Like anything, take care of it, and it will take care of you. I think my Henry is built like a tank. But, the Marlin is not built to withstand much abuse. Being the case, they both shoot fine. Yet, I think the Henry may absorb more of the recoil (due to being slightly heavier). Therefore, I seem be more consistent with it. Nevertheless, enjoy your new rifle!

I was at a LGS yesterday. And, I was looking in the casing where I spotted the Henry at. The owner typically keep rifles in the case that may be priced more than average ($1,000-$2,000 range). No, I did not pay that much for the Henry, I think in was around $725 or so. Anyway, I spotted a Winchester. It looked fairly nice. But, I had told myself I had enough firearms for now. Even so, I do not have a Winchester. I have looked at a couple before. A new seemed heavy and, a used one did not cycle smoothly. So, I left them where they were. Still, that new one yesterday looked nice. However, I just do not want to look at it. But, I may pick it up one day, just to see how it feels. I seem to have a thing for lever actions. It may be from watching a lot of cowboy movies, as I was growing up?

Henry-44.png
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by GFK on Fri Mar 19, 2021 7:15 pm, edited 2 times in total.
1 x
Actions speak louder than words (Matthew 7:16-20).

Centaur
Cowhand
United States of America

Post by Centaur » Fri Mar 19, 2021 4:30 pm

Very nice rifle. When I bought my H010B a couple of weeks ago, the store had several 44 side gates. Maybe we are seeing some availability of unicorns. Now, if the ammo/reloading situation would just straighten out.
0 x

Ernie
Cowboy
United States of America

Post by Ernie » Fri Mar 19, 2021 5:39 pm

Congratulations on the new 44. I stopped in at my LGS this afternoon and they have NO Henrys. Been 10 weeks since I placed an order for a 357 but nothing yet.
0 x

fortyshooter
Ranch Foreman
United States of America

Post by fortyshooter » Fri Mar 19, 2021 6:50 pm

Interesting that some large dealers don't have any of the most common caliber Henry side gate rifles yet they pop up at other less known shops.

Congrats on that new 44 Henry!
0 x

Headhog
Cowboy
United States of America

Post by Headhog » Fri Mar 19, 2021 7:08 pm

Nice find at a very fair price. Enjoy!

Paul
0 x