Henry's new single shots
JEBar
Town Marshal / Deputy Admin
United States of America

Re: Recieved H015 back from recall

Post by JEBar » Fri Oct 16, 2020 4:30 pm

Team Roper wrote:
Fri Oct 16, 2020 3:11 pm
Now there is a cartridge that I have always admired. That ought to be a real shooter with a bedding and trigger job.

comparing a 300 Winchester and 300 Weatherby is kind of like comparing a 308 and 30-06 .... while they are similar, the Weatherby is a bit stronger .... ours is shown below .... it is a Remington 700 BDL (shown below) built during the first year Remington offered the 300 WBY .... out of the box ours was the hardest kicking rifle I've ever fired .... I couldn't stand to fire it enough at a single sitting to sight in a scope .... many folks here have 45-70's and they can attest that when firing dangerous game level ammo, a 45-70 hard kick with ammo packing 50 +/- gr of powder .... 300 WBY ammo is loaded with 85 +/- gr .... the good news for us is, after some serious mods designed to reduce felt recoil, my wife who can't stand the recoil of a model 94 30-30, has fired it .... sending a 180 gr Nosler Accubond bullet down range with a muzzle velocity of 3200 fps, it shoots flat and delivers a wallop at long distances .... needless to say, its fully capable of taking game at distances I am not capable of shooting
Attachments
180907 002 profile 001.jpg
180907 002 profile 001.jpg (67.94 KiB) Viewed 3297 times
0 x

Team Roper
Cowhand
United States of America

Post by Team Roper » Fri Oct 16, 2020 5:02 pm

JEBar wrote:
Fri Oct 16, 2020 4:30 pm
Team Roper wrote:
Fri Oct 16, 2020 3:11 pm
Now there is a cartridge that I have always admired. That ought to be a real shooter with a bedding and trigger job.

comparing a 300 Winchester and 300 Weatherby is kind of like comparing a 308 and 30-06 .... while they are similar, the Weatherby is a bit stronger .... ours shown below is ours .... it is a Remington 700 BDL (shown below) built during the first year Remington offered the 300 WBY .... out of the box ours was the hardest kicking rifle I've ever fired .... I couldn't stand to fire it enough at a single sitting to sight in a scope .... many folks here have 45-70's and they can attest that when firing dangerous game level ammo, a 45-70 hard kick with ammo packing 50 +/- gr of powder .... 300 WBY ammo is loaded with 85 +/- gr .... the good news for us is, after some serious mods designed to reduce felt recoil, my wife who can't stand the recoil of a model 94 30-30, has fired it .... sending a 180 gr Nosler Accubond bullet down range with a muzzle velocity of 3200 fps, it shoots flat and delivers a wallop at long distances .... needless to say, its fully capable of taking game at distances I am not capable of shooting
Oh yes, a Rem 700 too. My first rifle after the Nam was a Rem 700 in 06. Very accurate shooters. I shot a 300 Weatherby from a Weatherby rifle that a friend of mine bought for Brown Bear back in the 70's. Back then I wasn't recoil sensitive like I am now. I didn't have the nerve damage then either, lol. I sold my 338 mags because I just couldn't take the beating anymore.
0 x
Army Paratrooper
173 rd Airborne Brigade, 2nd/503 rd. Airborne Infantry, Vietnam 66-67, point man, tunnel rat
combat jump 2/67
82 nd Airborne Div. 1st/505th Airborne Infantry, Vietnam, 68, Sniper
jumped with the Army Parachute Team, The Golden Knights.

JEBar
United States of America

Post by JEBar » Fri Oct 16, 2020 5:44 pm

Team Roper wrote:
Fri Oct 16, 2020 5:02 pm
Back then I wasn't recoil sensitive like I am now. I didn't have the nerve damage then either, lol. I sold my 338 mags because I just couldn't take the beating anymore.
all too well understood .... back in the 60's, 70's and even into the 90's I could fire hard kicking long guns .... my Ithaca model 37 featherweight slug gun had a very harsh recoil but I shot it often .... back in '09 a heart issue requiring blood thinning meds drastically reduced my tolerance for recall .... a single round fired from hard kicking rifle or shotgun would leave me with a badly bruised shoulder .... I've never owned or fired a 338 and doubt I could stand shooting one today .... over the years I've wanted 2 very different rifles .... one capable of dropping large game a great distances and one capable of taking on an elephant hunt .... as noted, they are wants, by no stretch of the imagination needs .... the 300WBY filled the first and a Henry 45-70 filled the second .... even though the chance of me ever going on a hunt where either would be required, I've spent a good bit of money upgrading them both .... and NO, I've never regretted spending a penny on improving them .... I'm in the process of coming up with a Cowboy Action (low recoil) round for the 45-70 and can't rule out eventually doing so for the 300WBY
0 x

Team Roper
Cowhand
United States of America

Post by Team Roper » Fri Oct 16, 2020 7:16 pm

JEBar wrote:
Fri Oct 16, 2020 5:44 pm
Team Roper wrote:
Fri Oct 16, 2020 5:02 pm
Back then I wasn't recoil sensitive like I am now. I didn't have the nerve damage then either, lol. I sold my 338 mags because I just couldn't take the beating anymore.
all too well understood .... back in the 60's, 70's and even into the 90's I could fire hard kicking long guns .... my Ithaca model 37 featherweight slug gun had a very harsh recoil but I shot it often .... back in '09 a heart issue requiring blood thinning meds drastically reduced my tolerance for recall .... a single round fired from hard kicking rifle or shotgun would leave me with a badly bruised shoulder .... I've never owned or fired a 338 and doubt I could stand shooting one today .... over the years I've wanted 2 very different rifles .... one capable of dropping large game a great distances and one capable of taking on an elephant hunt .... as noted, they are wants, by no stretch of the imagination needs .... the 300WBY filled the first and a Henry 45-70 filled the second .... even though the chance of me ever going on a hunt where either would be required, I've spent a good bit of money upgrading them both .... and NO, I've never regretted spending a penny on improving them .... I'm in the process of coming up with a Cowboy Action (low recoil) round for the 45-70 and can't rule out eventually doing so for the 300WBY
Let me know what you come up with for the 45-70 for a soft shooting round. I started to head that way with my Marlin Guide Gun but keep playing with my deer loads. I shoot 350 gr. Ranch Dogs and 405 gr. WFN bullets out of mine. I cast for both. I bet black powder would be a hoot.
0 x
Army Paratrooper
173 rd Airborne Brigade, 2nd/503 rd. Airborne Infantry, Vietnam 66-67, point man, tunnel rat
combat jump 2/67

JEBar
United States of America

Post by JEBar » Fri Oct 16, 2020 7:39 pm

Team Roper wrote:
Fri Oct 16, 2020 7:16 pm
Let me know what you come up with for the 45-70 for a soft shooting round. I started to head that way with my Marlin Guide Gun but keep playing with my deer loads. I shoot 350 gr. Ranch Dogs and 405 gr. WFN bullets out of mine. I cast for both. I bet black powder would be a hoot.
I don't fire any cast bullets .... doing so gives you a big edge in bullet selection .... our CCH 45-70 really likes 300 gr Nosler Ballistic Silvertips ====> https://shop.nosler.com/nosler-bullets/ ... -50ct.html .... I keep an eye on Shooter's Pro Shop and when they have them in stock, I buy all I can afford ====> http://www.shootersproshop.com/loading- ... -50ct.html .... unless I was to ever have an opportunity hunt really dangerous, large game (which ain't likely) I'll load the same bullet for regular big game hunting .... weather permitting, I hope to be able to come up with a light recoil, paper punching load in November
1 x

Dapull
Tenderfoot
United States of America

Post by Dapull » Fri Oct 16, 2020 7:47 pm

Will be sending off my 223 to the recall shop next week. Comforting to read all the positive feedback. I'm having second thoughts about shipping in the origin box an wrapping paper. Anyone experience shipping damage on the return side?

Nice looking rifle, "wise is the man who covers the wife's couch lest gun oil be deposited thereupon", some of us were not so wise...
0 x

BigAl52
Forum Ambassador
United States of America

Post by BigAl52 » Fri Oct 16, 2020 10:38 pm

When I sent mine back I asked for the box to send it in. They sent a Henry Box and the the outside plain cover sleeve. I got mine back today no damage either way. But when I sent mine in I wrapped the gun with bubble wrap before I placed it in the white Henry box.
2 x
Don't worry about getting older and still doing stupid stuff. You'll do the stupid stuff as always, only much slower. Hold my beer and watch this.......

H001T .22LR
H001T .22LR MONUMENT VALLEY
H003T PUMP .22LR
BBS .41 MAG
SS .357
SIDE GATE 38-55

Team Roper
Cowhand
United States of America

Post by Team Roper » Sat Oct 17, 2020 6:40 am

JEBar wrote:
Fri Oct 16, 2020 7:39 pm
Team Roper wrote:
Fri Oct 16, 2020 7:16 pm
I don't fire any cast bullets .... doing so gives you a big edge in bullet selection .... our CCH 45-70 really likes 300 gr Nosler Ballistic Silvertips ====> https://shop.nosler.com/nosler-bullets/ ... -50ct.html .... I keep an eye on Shooter's Pro Shop and when they have them in stock, I buy all I can afford ====> http://www.shootersproshop.com/loading- ... -50ct.html .... unless I was to ever have an opportunity hunt really dangerous, large game (which ain't likely) I'll load the same bullet for regular big game hunting .... weather permitting, I hope to be able to come up with a light recoil, paper punching load in November
I like Noslers. Those bullets should really flatten out the trajectory of the 45-70. Recoil should be reduced greatly also with the smaller diameter. Some loads with my 405's are just to nasty for me to add anymore powder to them.Even my 350 Ranch Dogs are softer when shooting from the bench.
0 x
Army Paratrooper
combat jump 2/67

leverjc
Cattle Driver
United States of America

Post by leverjc » Sat Oct 17, 2020 2:24 pm

Dapull wrote:
Fri Oct 16, 2020 7:47 pm
Will be sending off my 223 to the recall shop next week. Comforting to read all the positive feedback. I'm having second thoughts about shipping in the origin box an wrapping paper. Anyone experience shipping damage on the return side?

Nice looking rifle, "wise is the man who covers the wife's couch lest gun oil be deposited thereupon", some of us were not so wise...
I have sent more guns back to the manufacturer in the last five or six years than I care to remember. If you have the original white box I would recommend getting it as tight as possible with bubble wrap or something similar then making an outer box out of heavy cardboard from a nold refrigerator box. (I pick the cardboard up at a local dealer) It seems like a little over kill but have never had a problem doing it this way.
0 x

steelersfan97
Cowhand
United States of America

Post by steelersfan97 » Tue Nov 24, 2020 9:46 pm

brianpa wrote:
Tue Sep 01, 2020 9:11 pm
I'm on the list but does any one know how long it takes to get the label and shipping information. My request was put in about 3 weeks ago and I haven't heard anything.
Thanks
Henry announced that it is voluntarily recalling all H015-series Single Shot Rifles and Single Shot Shotguns manufactured prior to July 1, 2020. Henry has recently discovered a potential safety issue wherein, under certain conditions, it is possible that some of these models may discharge without the trigger being pulled if the hammer is partially cocked and released. To prevent the possibility of death or serious personal injury, you should immediately stop using all H015-series Single Shot Rifles and Single Shot Shotguns and not load or fire them until they have been upgraded.

The safety issue leading to this voluntary recall was discovered internally while testing the existing fire control system for a trigger pull upgrade. This is the first product safety recall in the company’s nearly 25-year history. Although not every Henry H015-series firearm may be affected, Henry Repeating Arms is requesting that all Single Shot Rifles and Single Shot Shotguns be returned to be upgraded free of charge pursuant to this recall to prevent the possibility of the firearm discharging without the trigger being pulled. All H015 owners should visit the Henry H015 Recall website at HenryUSA.com/recall, email recall@henryusa.com, or call 1-866-200-2354 (M-F, 9AM ET-5PM ET) to obtain additional information and begin the upgrade process.

Henry Repeating Arms will upgrade all returned Single Shot Rifles and Single Shot Shotguns in the order in which they are received. Henry Repeating Arms is ready to begin performing the upgrade as the firearms are received. Information on the current turnaround time for firearms returned to be upgraded will be provided at HenryUSA.com/recall. Henry Repeating Arms will make every effort to minimize the amount of time required to upgrade and return your firearm. As a sign of appreciation to its customers, Henry Repeating Arms will also perform an unrelated performance upgrade to improve the trigger pull on all firearms returned pursuant to this recall free of charge.
0 x
H006M, H015-223