Spring has sprung. Get out and shoot your Henry

Stock Warning

Henry's new single shots
msnden
Tenderfoot
United States of America

Re: Stock Warning

Post by msnden » Mon Dec 31, 2018 6:53 pm

Hi, I posted a question earlier entitled Question/advise single shot it concerns the stock issue, I also posted it here, however I shouldn't have. so if anyone is interested could you go over and read it and give me your advise? Thanks, I do have a note into Henry & am awaiting response, Thanks msn
1 x

DanAtHenry
Henry Liason
United States of America

Post by DanAtHenry » Fri Jan 25, 2019 4:10 pm

Hi everyone,
I'd like to officially address these cracked stocks that some of you have been experiencing with our Single Shot models. First of all, I'd like to thank you all for choosing to own our rifles and shotguns. We certainly appreciate it, and we apologize for these types of issues that do not reflect our commitment to quality and reliability.

I spoke with our engineers and this is what we are doing.

1. Our lead engineer is implementing a higher torque on the stock bolt during assembly. We have seen a number of loose stocks, which can aid in breakage, acting as a slide hammer. When torqued properly we have never had a stock break.

2. We are changing the connection of the receiver to the stock. We're stating with the receiver since this is the fastest way to implement a change.

3. Once item #2 is complete, we'll be adding a second load bearing surface inside the buttstock by making a wood adjustment.

We are working with the Henry Repair department to develop a rework process for returns to eliminate stock breakage., which was started a few weeks ago.

This will not be an ongoing issue as we have found the process necessary to correct current issues and prevent it from happening in the future.
13 x
Please follow Henry Repeating Arms on Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, and subscribe to Henry TV. Thanks!

Henry Repeating Arms, 201-858-4400, dan@henryusa.com

CT_Shooter
Administrator emeritus
United States of America

Post by CT_Shooter » Fri Jan 25, 2019 4:14 pm

Welcome back, Dan.

Your participation here will be very helpful for so many of us. Thanks for the update.
DanAtHenry wrote:Hi everyone,
I'd like to officially address these cracked stocks that some of you have been experiencing with our Single Shot models. First of all, I'd like to thank you all for choosing to own our rifles and shotguns. We certainly appreciate it, and we apologize for these types of issues that do not reflect our commitment to quality and reliability.
2 x
H006M Big Boy Brass .357 - H001 Classic .22LR - Uberti / Taylors & Co. SmokeWagon .357 5.5" - Uberti / Taylors & Co. RanchHand .22LR 5.5"

Mags
Ranch Foreman
United States of America

Post by Mags » Fri Jan 25, 2019 4:56 pm

Thanks Dan! Very much appreciate the inside story of what HenryUSA is doing to address this. For those of us who have torque drivers, what is the new higher torque setting spec for the stock bolt?
DanAtHenry wrote:Hi everyone,

I spoke with our engineers and this is what we are doing.

1. Our lead engineer is implementing a higher torque on the stock bolt during assembly. We have seen a number of loose stocks, which can aid in breakage, acting as a slide hammer. When torqued properly we have never had a stock break.

2. We are changing the connection of the receiver to the stock. We're stating with the receiver since this is the fastest way to implement a change.

3. Once item #2 is complete, we'll be adding a second load bearing surface inside the buttstock by making a wood adjustment.

We are working with the Henry Repair department to develop a rework process for returns to eliminate stock breakage., which was started a few weeks ago.

This will not be an ongoing issue as we have found the process necessary to correct current issues and prevent it from happening in the future.
1 x
UPDATES: OR passes 114, "one of strictest gun control measures in U.S." https://henryrifleforums.com/viewtopic. ... 34#p213234

Yornoc3
Cattle Driver
United States of America

Post by Yornoc3 » Fri Jan 25, 2019 5:26 pm

That's good to hear. I especially like the statement: "When torqued properly we have never had a stock break." That has been my gut feeling on this issue all along; after all, we have SXS shotguns with likely less bearing area than that robust wrist on the Henry single shots, that, with proper care, last forever - unless they get loose. When I disassemble my shotguns, I try to feel the degree of force it takes to loosen the stock bolt, and match it when I reassemble. Too tight is no good, either.

I've read in a response from Henry elsewhere regarding the hammer/trigger spring complaints, that Henry is also working on a redesign to improve (meaning lower) the trigger pull weight, and hammer cocking resistance as well. With the present design, in order to meet the saami specification for drop without discharge, the triggers have to be as they are. That begs the question of how did my two rifles make it out of there with 4 lbs trigger pulls? Just lucky, I guess ;) . I'm not going to drop them onto a hard surface from four feet, six times, just to see if they pass. The Grainger spring modification as we've seen here will work for me, if my ordered 30-30 arrives with an 8 lb trigger. I don't plan to bounce a cocked, loaded rifle off a parking lot, in any event.
Edit: the drop test is actually from four feet to a hard surface from six different positions. That'll teach me to trust my memory ;) .
Last edited by Yornoc3 on Fri Jan 25, 2019 7:51 pm, edited 4 times in total.
1 x

DanAtHenry
Henry Liason
United States of America

Post by DanAtHenry » Fri Jan 25, 2019 5:34 pm

Mags wrote:For those of us who have torque drivers, what is the new higher torque setting spec for the stock bolt?
Good question. I'm checking with our engineers and will update here once I have an answer.

::EDIT:: The proper torque spec is 60 inch pounds.
Last edited by DanAtHenry on Sat Jan 26, 2019 8:02 am, edited 1 time in total.
6 x
Please follow Henry Repeating Arms on Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, and subscribe to Henry TV. Thanks!

BigAl52
Forum Ambassador
United States of America

Post by BigAl52 » Fri Jan 25, 2019 11:42 pm

Thanks for coming on board Dan and giving us some inside information. I hope you will visit more often and keep us informed of things going on with Henry. Its always good to have some inside information. The forum has grown quite a bit and with visits from factory people I cant help but think it will add to our growth.
2 x
Don't worry about getting older and still doing stupid stuff. You'll do the stupid stuff as always, only much slower. Hold my beer and watch this.......

H001T .22LR
H001T .22LR MONUMENT VALLEY
H003T PUMP .22LR
BBS .41 MAG
SS .357
SIDE GATE 38-55

fortyshooter
Ranch Foreman
United States of America

Post by fortyshooter » Sun Jan 27, 2019 11:19 am

Wow! Very impressed with the Customer Service !

Any stock issues with the Lever Carbine rifles?
0 x

DanAtHenry
Henry Liason
United States of America

Post by DanAtHenry » Tue Jan 29, 2019 10:12 pm

fortyshooter wrote:Wow! Very impressed with the Customer Service !

Any stock issues with the Lever Carbine rifles?
None whatsoever! Every now and then we have some stocks get damaged in transit because of rough handling, but those usually get turned around and sent back to us once they reach the distributor or the dealer.
1 x

ESquared
Deputy Administrator
United States of America

Post by ESquared » Wed Jan 30, 2019 8:38 am

Thanks for the torque spec, Dan. Appreciate you addressing the group on this nagging issue.
0 x
BB Steel .357 | SGC 22LR | LR .308 | CCH 30-30 | BB Brass .45 Colt (Carbine) | Single Shot 20 gauge | Single Shot .223 | Single Shot 357