Spring has sprung. Get out and shoot your Henry

Out with the brass 357 today

Henry's new single shots
wolfman
Cowhand
United States of America

Out with the brass 357 today

Post by wolfman » Wed Dec 01, 2021 8:36 pm

Had the day off so took her out for some plinking. Could've posted this in the range reports forum, but thought this forum could use the thread count :D. And it's more to show the rifle off than to report on rifle or ammo performance (though both were quite good).

Mustered a few decent offhand groups at 30 yards:

Have to say I'm pleased as punch with this rifle in every way. Quite accurate, excellent trigger, and a looker to boot.
3 x

JEBar
Town Marshal / Deputy Admin
United States of America

Re: Out with the brass 357 today

Post by JEBar » Wed Dec 01, 2021 9:47 pm

a looker indeed .. 8-) .. nice shooting
0 x

BigAl52
Forum Ambassador
United States of America

Post by BigAl52 » Wed Dec 01, 2021 10:01 pm

Good job Wolf and that rifle is very nice looking for sure.
0 x
Don't worry about getting older and still doing stupid stuff. You'll do the stupid stuff as always, only much slower. Hold my beer and watch this.......

H001T .22LR
H001T .22LR MONUMENT VALLEY
H003T PUMP .22LR
BBS .41 MAG
SS .357
SIDE GATE 38-55

fortyshooter
Ranch Foreman
United States of America

Post by fortyshooter » Wed Dec 01, 2021 10:31 pm

Good shootin' wolfman! How big of a barrel diameter do those single shots come with? Looks much larger than the lever rifle.
1 x

wolfman
Cowhand
United States of America

Post by wolfman » Wed Dec 01, 2021 11:36 pm

fortyshooter wrote:
Wed Dec 01, 2021 10:31 pm
Good shootin' wolfman! How big of a barrel diameter do those single shots come with? Looks much larger than the lever rifle.
Quick & dirty measurements:
- ~0.84" roughly an inch in front of the rear sight
- ~0.78" where the forestock ends
- ~0.74" at the muzzle

Think they're using the same barrel blanks for most if not all calibers. Listed weights for the 44 Magnum, 45-70 Govt & 450 Bushmaster versions are ~0.3 - 0.4 lb lighter than for the 357 Magnum version, all 22" barrels.

Random thoughts concerning complaints I see/hear regarding the Henry singles:

Too heavy: I get this one; a single shot certainly could be made lighter, especially in the pistol calibers. I personally wouldn't want to give up more than a few ounces from this rifle for a couple reasons. One, I don't find ~7 lbs to be at all objectionable, and two, experience has taught me that if all else is at least kinda sorta equal, my standing offhand results will be a helluva lot better from a 7 lbs rifle than a 5.5 lbs rifle. That said, I really do see how this could be a valid complaint for some usage scenarios. Vast majority of my shooting is standing offhand (for many folks, it isn't), my rifle isn't carrying 1-1.5 lbs of scope/rings/rail (many/most would scope it), and I'm not hunting mountain goats in Kentucky :shock:.

Bad trigger: This was about as universally agreed upon as anything gun related that's ever been discussed on the web, but is moot point since the recall was initiated. My first was very, very heavy out of the box, like ~9 lbs. Spring change helped some, but not all that much & led to light strikes with CCI primers. After recall work was ~3.5 lbs & crisp, & no light strikes. 2nd one was good at ~3.5 lbs, and this one has settled in at ~3.25 lbs after 300 shots fired. Bench rest "pros" will recoil in horror, but for most of us this is a very good hunting/general purpose trigger pull.

Too expensive: This one I'm gonna just flat call BS. Even before the pandemic & Great Shortage of Everything Gun Related and Most Things That Aren't & these could be had for $375, saw & heard a lot of griping along the lines of "no way I'm paying that much for a single shot". Partially fueled by the presence of a still fairly new breed of inexpensive but very effective bolt rifles like the Ruger American & Savage Axis, but always considered that apples to oranges- if you want a repeater, get a repeater. Single shots have been a rather niche item for many decades; those who want them don't care that they're less efficient at getting lead downrange in a hurry. But more than anything, it was pining for the return of the $200 New England Handi-Rifle. I was among those who hoped for a comeback, but knew that even if it did happen, it wouldn't be at 1992 prices! And that's before you consider the substantial step up in quality of the Henry singles. Had a couple of them back in the day, and really did like them, but they weren't in the same league for fit/finish & materials.

Dadgum, somebody kick this soapbox out from underneath me :mrgreen:
3 x

BigAl52
Forum Ambassador
United States of America

Post by BigAl52 » Thu Dec 02, 2021 11:26 am

Stepaside and let me get on that soap box. I think the Single shots dont get enough love myself. There great in my opinion. They slow you down and teach you to hit what you are aiming at you only have one shot. I think there a great teacher in that respect. I also love the weight of them for us old farts. Ive looked for a brass model for myself and still may get one but the one I have I like alot. Mine has a red dot on it and it works great. I may still scope it now that I see that simply rugged has a cuff with a cheek pad.
0 x
Don't worry about getting older and still doing stupid stuff. You'll do the stupid stuff as always, only much slower. Hold my beer and watch this.......

H001T .22LR
H001T .22LR MONUMENT VALLEY
H003T PUMP .22LR
BBS .41 MAG
SS .357
SIDE GATE 38-55

wolfman
Cowhand
United States of America

Post by wolfman » Thu Dec 02, 2021 8:46 pm

The senator from Colorado has the floor :D.

Saw the photos of that cuff that were posted here, would be exactly what I'd want too if I were scoping mine.
0 x

BrokenolMarine
Ranch Foreman
United States of America

Post by BrokenolMarine » Fri Dec 03, 2021 9:13 am

Beautiful rifle. Glad it's a shooter as well.
1 x
You can tell a lot about the character of a man...
by the way he treats those who can do nothing for him.

Hatchdog
Ranch Foreman
United States of America

Post by Hatchdog » Fri Dec 03, 2021 10:23 am

BigAl52 wrote:
Thu Dec 02, 2021 11:26 am
Stepaside and let me get on that soap box. I think the Single shots dont get enough love myself. There great in my opinion. They slow you down and teach you to hit what you are aiming at you only have one shot. I think there a great teacher in that respect. I also love the weight of them for us old farts. Ive looked for a brass model for myself and still may get one but the one I have I like alot. Mine has a red dot on it and it works great. I may still scope it now that I see that simply rugged has a cuff with a cheek pad.
I used to know a guy who only owned Ruger single shot’s. He was a very successful hunter taking both deer and elk with his single shots.
2 x

Rifletom
Deputy Marshal
United States of America

Post by Rifletom » Fri Dec 03, 2021 8:59 pm

Hatchdog wrote:
Fri Dec 03, 2021 10:23 am
BigAl52 wrote:
Thu Dec 02, 2021 11:26 am
I used to know a guy who only owned Ruger single shot’s. He was a very successful hunter taking both deer and elk with his single shots.
I fit in that situation. Have taken deer and elk with a wonderfully accurate Ruger No.1B in 30-06. Still have it.
0 x