Spring has sprung. Get out and shoot your Henry

Scope ring height?

Henry's new single shots
Yornoc3
Cattle Driver
United States of America

Re: Scope ring height?

Post by Yornoc3 » Tue Dec 22, 2020 3:48 pm

Scope rings and mount combinations can drive you mad ;). What I've learned, some of it the hard way, is that you have to check as closely as you can on the height of both, to make sure it'll work. I've mounted scopes to four Henry single shots. On all of them, I've used the Warne steel base, which had to be modified a bit for the early models, before Henry slightly adjusted the mount screw holes' location; on new models they fit. I've used Burris low Zee rings, and Weaver medium Grand Slam rings, which are the same height; Weaver low traditional rings are lower than everyone else's low rings. I've always strived for as low as possible, and these combinations have worked fine for the traditional fixed power scopes I've fitted to these rifles: Leupold Compact 2.5X, Burris low Zee rings (plenty of hammer clearance with its smaller ocular lens) to a 45-70; Leupold FX 2 6X gloss to a .243, with medium Gloss Weaver Grand Slam rings (gloss is still available), Redfield 2.75X gloss to a 30-30 with Weaver medium traditional tip-off rings (their low is too low), and a Burris Fullfield 4X to a .308 with Weaver Grand Slam medium rings. I like the current rendition of Grand Slam rings, I understand the first version had issues, but the USA made rings I've used have been good. Warne low rings (same height) would work, too, but they're more "bulky" than I like. Just looks, I guess. Using variables with bulky power adjustment rings might require more height, so it's back to case by case with them.
1 x

Bear-of-Grayling
Tenderfoot
United States of America

Post by Bear-of-Grayling » Thu Dec 24, 2020 8:50 am

I agree with the prior post.I prefer the looks of the traditional “Leupold or Burris” steel style rings. It’s not however my first priority. My priorities for ring selection is; 1. Strength. 2. Height for good cheek weld. Usually as close to the barrel as possible. 3. Rings that do not damage the scope while adjusting. 4. American made. 5. Aesthetics. When the stars align I get all 5. The American made steel Warne rings get 4 of the 5. I do like the looks (still not as well as the tradition style) but it’s not a handy removable ring. Everything moves if the scope is removed. One needs to literally, carefully remove the rings from the base and the rings from the scope simultaneously. It all comes apart together. I do not like this at all. Any modification or just loosening of the base means the whole scope leveling and sight in are a bust.The Warne does not damage the scope though and it is super strong. This ring (Warne 200M Low .250”) is on my Henry SS .308 with the Nikon 3-9x40. The Warne medium rings 201M have a saddle height of .375 of an inch. The tall 202M jump to .525. On my Henry SS .223 with the Burris 4.5-14x42 I first tried the Warne medium rings and the scopes power ring did not clear the hammer. I needed a pinch more saddle height. Jumping to the high would have been way to much. With my cheek weld getting questionable using the medium height Warne, I knew I needed to get just slightly more saddle height. Couldn’t get there on the American decimal system. (American made products) The Metric system is however slightly larger, usually. I’ve used the UTG rings before and they are strong, removable (without total scope disruption), VERY gentle on the scope and metric. Not American made though. The UTG “Low Pro Max Strength “ has a saddle height of 10MM which translates into .3937”. Just the extra needed. An alloy ring, very solid, will be fine on the Henry SS .223. Again not my first choice aesthetics wise. I find myself getting used to the looks of things that at first did not impress me. Anyway this is my formula for ring selection. Thanks y’all.
Last edited by Bear-of-Grayling on Thu Dec 24, 2020 3:03 pm, edited 14 times in total.
1 x

Bear-of-Grayling
Tenderfoot
United States of America

Post by Bear-of-Grayling » Thu Dec 24, 2020 9:36 am

Hello everyone. Back again for an extra FYI. If the scope was damaged/failed on a hunt or one wanted to use the open sights, the base I used (in the pics a few posts back) is too tall for the usage of the factory sights. Below is the base I used on both my Henry SS. It is not as in the picture. That’s a generic picture. It was a cantilever style and I removed the excess material. So a take-off ring is rather pointless with this base as the base would have to be removed to use the open sights. Might help someone. Thanks
Attachments
F24E5902-8582-4C66-95D4-5D79C7CDF6A4.png
F24E5902-8582-4C66-95D4-5D79C7CDF6A4.png (302 KiB) Viewed 2804 times
0 x