Spring has sprung. Get out and shoot your Henry

Converting .357 Mag to .357 Max

Henry's new single shots
rickhem
Cowhand
United States of America

Re: Converting .357 Mag to .357 Max

Post by rickhem » Fri Jun 28, 2024 9:03 am

One of the ranges that used to run the National Sectional each year in my area also had an outdoor range where they held a wide range of other fun competitions. One of the regular shoots they held, was a Hunter Pistol Silhouette shoot, but they limited everyone to straight wall pistol cartridges to keep from having their silhouette targets get too beat up. They shot the standard animal targets at 25, 50, 75, and 100 yards, and had two categories, irons and glass. I shot with my DW .44 mag for irons, and with a 686 and a 4x scope for "glass". There was a guy that shot all the time with a TC Contender, 10" barrel, in .357 Max. I have never felt concussion from a handgun like I did from that. With four banks of targets, there would be four shooters on the line at a time, and when I was next to him, and I caught the sight of him raising his contender to take a shot, I just lowered mine until he shot. You could feel the shock wave with every shot he took. That round from a rifle would probably eclipse a 30-30 in performance, and a single shot opens the door to a whole different selection of bullets.

Post up your experience with it, I'm interested to hear what you can do with it.
2 x