Henry's new shotguns
Joe.45
Wrangler
United States of America

Re: H001GG Garden Gun .22 shotshell

Post by Joe.45 » Mon Mar 08, 2021 11:39 pm

JEBar wrote:
Mon Mar 08, 2021 11:29 pm
on several occasions I've fired .22 shotshells and have never been impressed .... if I wanted a rifle for garden pest, I'd be prone to go with a 410
True that, the only thing we have to worry about right now is the non-existing 410 ammo.
0 x
Si vis pacem, para bellum!
H006M; H006MR; H001T; H004; another H001T

cphilip
Tenderfoot
United States of America

Post by cphilip » Thu Aug 26, 2021 4:18 pm

I actually have one....

Why? Hell if I know...

I ended up trading another fairly worthless firearm for it. It had more use to me then the thing I traded if you can believe that.

I actually like the thing. I got ahold of some real good various shot shells for it. Not sure what I'll use it for but its neat and surely very limited sort of thing. I like the history of the things. Older design than one would think. Used in gardens and even houses or barns to control pests with little in the way of collateral damage and also used for trick shooting in carnivals and such. I got mine from a guy who bought it completely accidentally, or should I say he was naive' about what it was when he bought it. Traded him a two shot derringer for it. It was brand new in the box. He never shot it because he didn't realize what it was when he bought it. Shoots good and can be quite fun and even to some extent useful... sort of.
1 x

leverjc
Cattle Driver
United States of America

Post by leverjc » Thu Aug 26, 2021 7:17 pm

I've probably killed more than 50 rattles with a single six and snake shot but all those kills were within 10 feet. Twenty two shot shell at longer distances even in a smooth bore just doesn't seem very deadly even on small game.
0 x

cphilip
Tenderfoot
United States of America

Post by cphilip » Fri Aug 27, 2021 9:36 am

Supposedly... at least in theory... rat shot of certain kinds does better in a smooth bore. It, in fact, should be shot out of a smooth bore. It is terribly disrupted by rifling. It stays in a cluster better out of a smooth bore and it needs that. Shot shells out of a rifle bore just do not perform as well. Again, supposedly, it was sort of meant for that application. These smooth bore rat shot/snake shot types of firearms go way back into the 20's or 30's. Maybe even prior to that. I can't say they are effective more than say 20 feet but they are MORE effective, by a long shot (pardon the pun) if the shot is not disrupted by rifling. Again, supposedly, rifling ends up having the effect of scattering out the pellets quickly and they do not stay in a concentrated mass like when shot out of a smooth bore. These were used by trick shooters in Wild West shows to break plates thrown up in the air. Smooth bore rifles. Gave the impression of a really great shot. Again though... close range. So your right about that part. They do better if smooth bore though. The pattern is better.

Remember, these are reproductions of guns long gone by. Ones that served a purpose in their time. Not maybe practical for todays purposes but what rural gun enthusiast don't need to killl a garden rat or chipmunk every now and then? These pests are timeless and the need to sometimes dispatch one is timeless too. Not likely does everyone have so specific a firearm to do it. But it had and still does have its place. LOL.

Take that with a grain of salt but I do believe there is a lot of truth to this.
1 x

Sir Henry
Administrator / Owner
United States of America

Post by Sir Henry » Fri Aug 27, 2021 11:48 am

Joe.45 wrote:
Mon Mar 08, 2021 11:39 pm
JEBar wrote:
Mon Mar 08, 2021 11:29 pm
on several occasions I've fired .22 shotshells and have never been impressed .... if I wanted a rifle for garden pest, I'd be prone to go with a 410
True that, the only thing we have to worry about right now is the non-existing 410 ammo.
During the shortage of 2012 the 410 was about the only thing available and I ended up buying several thousand rounds. I’m giving my 9410 to a friend and sold my 410/45 Bond so now I don’t have anything to shot the shells. Maybe I need an Ax.
0 x
Hi, my name is Gene and I'm a Henryholic from Wisconsin.

Range Reporter: Henry Repeater

daytime dave
Administrator / Owner
United States of America

Post by daytime dave » Tue Aug 30, 2022 4:36 pm

I have a Henry garden gun, as discussed in another thread, and I love it. I use it as a garden gun around the farm. It won't replace a .410, but shouldn't. It's perfect for my garden's defense. I give Henry a lot of credit for making it.
1 x
Some days I'm Andy, most days I'm Barney........
Eaglescout, NRA Life Endowment member, BCCI Life Member