Spring has sprung. Get out and shoot your Henry

1962 Remington 870

Henry's new shotguns
bandit1250
Cowboy
United States of America

1962 Remington 870

Post by bandit1250 » Sun Jan 28, 2018 9:22 am

I have been looking for a Remington 870 for quite sometime with the early wood that is referred to as the "corn cob" style. They were made from 1950 maybe until about '57 or'58. I wanted on with this style wood with the 30" full choke, plain barrel and 2 3/4" chamber. Haven't been able to find one with this combination. I found a 1962 that has the next generation style wood Remington used that has a slightly larger fore arm with finger grooves on the upper part and 28 vertical lines per side. When the guy pulled this one out of the case I couldn't believe the condition. Looks like it was never ever fired. Absolutely no wear any place on the bluing and the wood is as it came factory with no dents or scratches any where. I just had to have this shot gun to put with my other 870's even with out the style wood I prefer. He was asking to much for a 870 but condition is every thing on guns when buying a used one and this was the cream of the crop out of all I have looked at. I ended up at $200 cash and some used Marlin 39A wood I didn't need lying around any longer. Not a steal of a price but I will pay more for a gun in this condition any time. I need to put it on the patterning board when the weather warms up and see how the full choke shoots.
1 x

JEBar
Town Marshal / Deputy Admin
United States of America

Re: 1962 Remington 870

Post by JEBar » Sun Jan 28, 2018 9:58 am

those 870's were rock solid performers .... I've seen some that have bounced around behind the seat of farm trucks for years that look like they have been beaten almost to death .... but, they still perform flawlessly .... during my first career (30+ years) working in NC's Department of Correction where I served as an instructor, the 870 was adopted as the department's standard shotgun .... to put it mildly, during our ongoing training, they were heavily used .... the only negative, as with most non semiautomatic shotguns, they have a strong recoil
1 x

North Country Gal
Firearms Advisor
United States of America

Post by North Country Gal » Sun Jan 28, 2018 1:53 pm

Bandit, I love those old 870s. When I started bird hunting, I tried out all sorts of different guns and actions, but of all the pumps I tried, I did my best shooting with the 870. Had a 16 gauge 870 corncob forearm with a plain barrel that never let me down. Was well used when I bought it, too. The Winchester Model12 was a great gun, but just too long in the reach on the pump forearm. Very awkward for me to cycle. The Ithaca 37 was another great pump, but would jam up on me if I made a mistake and short stroked the pump. The 870, though, fit me like a glove and never did jam, not once. later added a 70s vintage 870 LW in 20 gauge. Same story. That little gun was greased lightning to shoot.

Later in life, we were struggling, financially, but I wanted to try bird hunting, again. Best thing I could afford was an 870 Express in 20 gauge. The Express had just been introduced. Sure wasn't much for looks, but, yup, still an 870 through and through as to how well it shot for me. Yeah, the 870 and I go a long way, back.
1 x

Jdl447
Cowhand
United States of America

Post by Jdl447 » Sun Jan 28, 2018 2:46 pm

Pictures?
0 x
When a clown moves into a palace, he doesn't become a king. The palace becomes a circus.