Spring has sprung. Get out and shoot your Henry

Choke

Henry's new shotguns
Mags
Ranch Foreman
United States of America

Re: Choke

Post by Mags » Wed Nov 14, 2018 10:16 pm

If the cylinder bore is also a smooth bore (not rifled) then the answer should be yes. However, check with the manufacturer of your gun and ammo.
Except for Sabot type slugs which should only be used in a fully rifled barrel.
Cofisher wrote:Should the open cylinder bore be considered for a slug gun?
0 x
UPDATES: OR passes 114, "one of strictest gun control measures in U.S." https://henryrifleforums.com/viewtopic. ... 34#p213234

Yornoc3
Cattle Driver
United States of America

Post by Yornoc3 » Thu Nov 15, 2018 11:38 am

I, too, started hunting with a H&R .410 single shot, but at age 10, old compared to bandit ;) . That 50 years ago period is my total experience with them, but, I have to wonder if modern ammo, with shot encasing wads, etc., wouldn't result in better patterns with less choke than the old days. In any event, a .410 is a less than 30 yard performer, especially with the 2 1/2 inch cartridges that the Henry lever actions use. I view the lever action .410's as more of a plinker (a spendy one, though) than a hunting gun.

I'm sure the single shot is chambered for 3 inch .410; that's the one they need to make in 28 ga. I'd need one of those :) .
4 x

ESquared
Deputy Administrator
United States of America

Post by ESquared » Wed Nov 21, 2018 9:20 am

Henry's single shot 20 gauge has my eye, with a specific notion about taking it turkey hunting, which I haven't done in over 10 years. Back then, I had a semi-auto Winchester 12 ga which was painful to shoot, so it's gone away.

Anyway, I'm familiar enough with it all to have a basic understanding of chokes and ammo needing to play well together to get the desired pattern at 40 yds (or so) in order to take a turkey.

With there being no choke tubes for 20 ga. Henrys specifically, where would one start when it comes to finding out the best combination of tube/load?
0 x
BB Steel .357 | SGC 22LR | LR .308 | CCH 30-30 | BB Brass .45 Colt (Carbine) | Single Shot 20 gauge | Single Shot .223 | Single Shot 357

JEBar
Town Marshal / Deputy Admin
United States of America

Post by JEBar » Wed Nov 21, 2018 9:00 pm

take a look at this link ===> https://www.henryusa.com/shotgun/single-shot-shotgun/ .... scroll down to 20 ga and click on the 2 little arrow heads .... click on Additional info .... scroll down and your find a diagram that might help ... in the data given they say " The 12 and 20 gauge in both brass and steel ship with a Modified Choke using Rem-Choke style threads which delivers a versatile shooting pattern for shooting at 25-45 yards, ideal for squirrels, rabbits, pigeons, doves, partridges, grouse, pheasant and wild flushing quail at medium range. " .... take the info from those two and it might help you decide
0 x

ESquared
Deputy Administrator
United States of America

Post by ESquared » Wed Nov 21, 2018 10:25 pm

Thanks, JEB. Modified choke is great for what they list, but turkey chokes are pretty much turkey chokes. Problem is, there are LOTS of 'em, and some are even tuned to work with certain turkey loads (Winchester, but I can't remember the name). Kinda like handgun and rifle ammo, the more I read, the more I'm learning that shotgun/turkey choke/turkey load is a fair amount of trial and error. Patterning at the range is paramount.
0 x
BB Steel .357 | SGC 22LR | LR .308 | CCH 30-30 | BB Brass .45 Colt (Carbine) | Single Shot 20 gauge | Single Shot .223 | Single Shot 357

JEBar
Town Marshal / Deputy Admin
United States of America

Post by JEBar » Thu Nov 22, 2018 4:18 pm

when it comes to choke tubes, my "goto" authority is Carlson ===> http://www.choketube.com/ .... I've dealt with them for decades and have found them to be knowledgeable, courteous folks to work with .... when I've had questions, I call them, tell them what I have and what I want to do .... they've never given me bad advice on product choice (or anything else)
0 x

ESquared
Deputy Administrator
United States of America

Post by ESquared » Thu Nov 22, 2018 11:00 pm

Glad to hear your endorsement, JEB, as they seem like the front-runner in the turkey choke arena.

They've created the turkey choke that is specifically designed to perform with WInchester's Long Beard XR turkey loads, which are sold, by the way, in boxes of 10, it that tells you anything about price!

https://www.americanrifleman.org/articl ... hotshells/

https://www.amazon.com/Carlsons-70105-W ... B071VVNPKD
0 x