Share something with us about your favorite Henry model

First and only Case -- a Henry collaboration.

Show and tell about your Case knives
PT7
Drover
United States of America

First and only Case -- a Henry collaboration.

Post by PT7 » Mon Oct 10, 2016 1:58 pm

Although I just posted my new Case/Henry special edition knife last week http://henryrifleforums.com/viewtopic.php?f=22&t=1456, guess I'll be the first post here. Found out some more about this knife's make up over the weekend. Thanks for setting this up this new sub-Forum, Dave.

Dave not only introduced me to the world of knives on our Henry Forum, but pointed me to a very interesting knife forum, as well. I'm also a member of the Blade Forums (BF). Over the weekend, I posted my new Case/Henry knife there under a general knife discussion thread titled "A knife you got that blew you away...WAY better than expected?" There were posted some really sharp-looking and unique knives, along with the owners' enthusiastic comments. So I chimed in, posted some photos, and especially pointed out how much I like the special wood that my knife's handle is made of.

I was encouraged with an appreciation comment from one of the BF members, who wrote:
As interesting as you found the topic of this thread, I found your knife equally interesting. As well as being a knife nut, I'm a long time researcher & collector in a very niche field of early/mid 19th century nautical art. So to see such a unique folder as the one you posted...is a real treat for me. I had no idea that there is a company(s) manufacturing modern folders made with antique/antebellum (non ivory related) materials. I haven't seen (stabilized) 200 year old, antique river logs used before. Very cool, very beautiful and very informative. Thanks so much for posting that interesting knife made from interesting antique material. You really do learn something new every day.

And I learned more about the make up of my knife handle from this person, too. That's where a lot of the fun is in owning firearms or knives, looking at the history behind it all. For anyone interested, here is some history I found on the antique river wood: http://www.antiqueriverlogs.com/the-story/

So to end my post here, I'm including some newer pictures I took and posted on the BF. [Click on photo for large look] Just part of the story of my first Case knife....I definitely like this Henry offering with such a great wood handle! Henry (and Case, too) know their knotty materials!!

Take care, and have a great day!
DSCN1505.JPG
DSCN1506.JPG
DSCN1510.JPG
DSCN1511.JPG
DSCN1512.JPG
2 x

~Пока~

CT_Shooter
Administrator emeritus
United States of America

Re: First and only Case -- a Henry collaboration.

Post by CT_Shooter » Mon Oct 10, 2016 2:18 pm

Thanks for the link to the history of the kind of wood used to make your beautiful knife. It helps to describe how the knife is an organic treasure; a combination of handcrafted, ancient wood and modern metal in a single, utilitarian art form; a unique marriage of old and new materials. There's only one way to describe this Henry collector's edition. Simply cool.
1 x
H006M Big Boy Brass .357 - H001 Classic .22LR - Uberti / Taylors & Co. SmokeWagon .357 5.5" - Uberti / Taylors & Co. RanchHand .22LR 5.5"

daytime dave
Administrator / Owner
United States of America

Post by daytime dave » Mon Oct 10, 2016 3:32 pm

I'm glad I was able to introduce you to a nice hobby. I am glad to know you are enjoying it. That Case Henry knife is very nice. That river wood will likely add to it's collector value. Thank you for posting it.

When I get around to it, I'll take some pictures of my Case Henry, which is the other offering from the store, and post them here too in the new Case thread. I finally located my Case peanut too, so why not have a few different sub forums under the knife section.
1 x
Some days I'm Andy, most days I'm Barney........
Eaglescout, NRA Life Endowment member, BCCI Life Member

PT7
Drover
United States of America

Post by PT7 » Mon Oct 10, 2016 4:00 pm

Thanks, Dave.

I'm not sure about any "collector value" for me. It's simply a keeper. However, never thought I'd get a knife and not use it. I'm even going to try and find a nice quality wood display case for this Case. ;)

The different knife sub-forums sound like a cool idea. I'm good with it.
Have a great day.
daytime dave wrote:I'm glad I was able to introduce you to a nice hobby. I am glad to know you are enjoying it. That Case Henry knife is very nice. That river wood will likely add to it's collector value. Thank you for posting it.

When I get around to it, I'll take some pictures of my Case Henry, which is the other offering from the store, and post them here too in the new Case thread. I finally located my Case peanut too, so why not have a few different sub forums under the knife section.
0 x

~Пока~

PT7
Drover
United States of America

Post by PT7 » Mon Oct 10, 2016 4:04 pm

Nice way to put it, CT....." a unique marriage of old and new materials."
Quite a while ago on the Forum, I wrote some memory items about my Dad. He was a skilled craftsman, loved to handle and work wood, which I'm sure came from his experience in the former Yugoslavia as a woodcutter. That was his profession throughout his younger years. I bet he would like to see this "ancient" wood captured and used like this, too.

Thanks for your comments.
Take care, and have a great day!

CT_Shooter wrote:Thanks for the link to the history of the kind of wood used to make your beautiful knife. It helps to describe how the knife is an organic treasure; a combination of handcrafted, ancient wood and modern metal in a single, utilitarian art form; a unique marriage of old and new materials. There's only one way to describe this Henry collector's edition. Simply cool.
0 x

~Пока~

JCN
Cowboy
United States of America

Post by JCN » Tue Oct 11, 2016 9:49 am

What is the rounded blade used for?
0 x
Henry Big Boy Steel .357 mag

Sir Henry
Administrator / Owner
United States of America

Post by Sir Henry » Tue Oct 11, 2016 11:19 am

Now I want one.
0 x
Hi, my name is Gene and I'm a Henryholic from Wisconsin.

Range Reporter: Henry Repeater

PT7
Drover
United States of America

Post by PT7 » Tue Oct 11, 2016 4:39 pm

JCN wrote:What is the rounded blade used for?
From what I've read, a spey blade is used for neutering farm animals. The purpose behind the blunt point is so that it can't accidentally poke through the surface of the animal's skin.

I also found a description that states: "The configuration of the spey knife blade is well suited for sweeping knife strokes, which is not only useful in neutering, but also in skinning hides." I'm not sure exactly how the configuration plays into sweeping knife strokes; have never used it on an animal skin. I do remember my Dad having a fairly large spey blade; he did raise pig, and harvested them. Pretty sure he used this type of blade to remove some of that pig skin. The skin that he left on sure tasted good when he roasted the pigs over an outdoor pit!
1 x

~Пока~

daytime dave
Administrator / Owner
United States of America

Post by daytime dave » Tue Oct 11, 2016 8:32 pm

That just about describes the spey blade. A lot of the folding knives have a "pattern", such as trapper, hunter, stockman, etc.

Look up folding knife patterns and see how many variants there are out there.

My two favorites are jumbo trapper and hunter.

What do you like?
0 x
Some days I'm Andy, most days I'm Barney........
Eaglescout, NRA Life Endowment member, BCCI Life Member

JCN
Cowboy
United States of America

Post by JCN » Tue Oct 11, 2016 11:18 pm

I don't think I have a use for a spey blade :-)
0 x
Henry Big Boy Steel .357 mag