Spring has sprung. Get out and shoot your Henry

New outboard

tell us about the have to have lure etc
daytime dave
Administrator / Owner
United States of America

New outboard

Post by daytime dave » Tue Sep 12, 2017 7:33 am

I like to fish out of my Radisson canoe. I like the electric motor for fishing larger ponds. It takes more than that to cover distance. My girlfriend wanted to go to Upper St. Regis lake and visit all the inter-connected lakes from there, namely Spitfire and Lower St. Regis lake. Last month, we started out with the canoe and the 2.5 hp Tohatsu 2 cycle outboard. I had done a lot of work on it. It died after 5 minutes of use, only to resurrect later for brief periods. I rowed most of the time. It wasn't the best outing. She offered to give an early Christmas present if I found a new motor I liked.

I had been looking into the Lehr motor since getting the Radisson. It runs on propane. No ethanol issues and reliable starting, what's not to like. At the end of August I found them on sale at a place on the internet. A call to the place I got the Radisson revealed a sale as well. It was just about the same, so I went to pick it up on my lunch hour. They prepped it, adjusted the carb and showed me how it worked and how to maintain it. I purchased a carbon fiber tank for long use. It also accepts the 16 oz camping bottles.

This past weekend, I took the Radisson out with it's new engine.
IMG_1477.JPG
IMG_1477.JPG (3.35 MiB) Viewed 5887 times
It performed flawlessly. We went around the lake on Saturday, it was damp and drizzly. On Sunday, it was sunny and warmer. We headed for Upper St. Regis. I launched and advised her that if the motor quit, it was likely the small 16 oz tank was out. I had four spares. It quit about the same place the Tohatsu had last month. This time, a quick cylinder exchange and we were off. We made it all the way to Lower St. Regis where Paul Smith's College sits. I fished a bit here and there, but not much. I ran mostly at the mid level. The literature says a 16 oz cylinder gives about one hour at full power and 2.5 hrs at mid level. As we were just getting back to the landing, it stalled. I got about 1 hour 45 minutes with mixed operation, mostly midlevel, but some flat out. It's no speed demon, but it will do a nice job of getting you there. It's quieter than the Tohatsu and it has a neutral and forward transmission. It's 4 cycle also. The 2.5 is the smallest outboard Lehr makes. I need to get the new tank filled. Then there will be no cylinder changes.

IMG_1498.JPG
IMG_1498.JPG (1.67 MiB) Viewed 5887 times
IMG_1506.JPG
IMG_1506.JPG (1.77 MiB) Viewed 5887 times
IMG_1482.JPG
IMG_1482.JPG (2.73 MiB) Viewed 5887 times
IMG_1481.JPG
IMG_1481.JPG (3.09 MiB) Viewed 5887 times
5 x
Some days I'm Andy, most days I'm Barney........
Eaglescout, NRA Life Endowment member, BCCI Life Member

JEBar
Town Marshal / Deputy Admin
United States of America

Re: New outboard

Post by JEBar » Tue Sep 12, 2017 8:15 am

very interesting indeed .... I'd never heard of a LEHR brand outboard nor of a propane powered one .... please keep bringing back your impressions as you gain experience using it
0 x

RetiredSeabee
Administrator
United States of America

Post by RetiredSeabee » Tue Sep 12, 2017 8:42 am

I love the lakes in your neck of the woods. Thanks for taking us along.
0 x
Load on Sunday and Shoot all Week.......okay it's a Mare's Leg I will reload on Wednesday. ;)

Les
Cowboy
South Africa

Post by Les » Tue Sep 12, 2017 9:26 am

JEBar wrote: I'd never heard of a LEHR brand outboard nor of a propane powered one ....
Me too. It sounds like an interesting engine. How does it compare for running costs against a small petrol outboard?
0 x

daytime dave
Administrator / Owner
United States of America

Post by daytime dave » Tue Sep 12, 2017 3:20 pm

I'll keep this thread active when I use the Lehr. I have video, I just haven't figured out how video on an iphone gets to the net.
I'll have to purchase some more propane cylinders and get the larger tank filled. I have no idea what propane costs. '

I will say I bought the motor mostly based on the fact the propane won't have issues that ethanol fuel will have, and fuel in general. It always started great.
0 x

Squatch
Cattle Driver
United States of America

Post by Squatch » Wed Sep 13, 2017 11:58 am

Pretty cool. Keep us informed. I've heard mixed reviews of these motors. But no personal experience.

Propane is cheap. I was startled a while back when I topped off my 2) 10 lb tanks in my camper and the bill was under $5. They didn't need much but it was still cheap.

I love a canoe. Still have my solo. Sold my Tandem a while back. Kinda looking for a square back Discovery to put my old 4hp Force on.
0 x
Any load data discussed by me is for entertainment purposes only. I can not condone or be responsible for it's use by others.

RanchRoper
Forum Ambassador
Canada

Post by RanchRoper » Thu Sep 14, 2017 11:02 pm

Awesome. Probably a little more efficient than my dad's 1958 18hp Evinrude....just like this one. Wow, memories. Thanks DD. :)
Attachments
2012-05-11093751.jpg
2012-05-11093751.jpg (162.89 KiB) Viewed 5848 times
1 x
1860 Colt SA Richards Conversion Revolver .45C
1860 Henry .45C
1885 High Wall .45C
1820-1840 Frontier Percussion .50
1790-1820 Frontier Flintlock .50

Ohkínohkomit - Shoot skillfully

Henry88
Cowboy
United States of America

Post by Henry88 » Sat Sep 16, 2017 12:37 am

Hey well if it breaks down you still have the oars :lol:
0 x

daytime dave
Administrator / Owner
United States of America

Post by daytime dave » Sat Sep 16, 2017 7:57 am

That's exactly why they are there. :lol:

This motor didn't break down though, like the other one.

I follow the rule of the Adirondacks. Two is one and one is none.

The set of oars and the paddles actually have oar locks too.
0 x

BigAl52
Forum Ambassador
United States of America

Post by BigAl52 » Sat Sep 16, 2017 11:11 am

RanchRoper wrote:Awesome. Probably a little more efficient than my dad's 1958 18hp Evinrude....just like this one. Wow, memories. Thanks DD. :)
Man RR that brings back memories of my childhood days. Those Evinrude motors back then were solid as a rock. I spent alot of time in front of one on them in middle seat of a 12 ft mirro craft alum boat wide open running up and down Puget Sound . It was only a 10 hp but we though we were so cool.
1 x
Don't worry about getting older and still doing stupid stuff. You'll do the stupid stuff as always, only much slower. Hold my beer and watch this.......

H001T .22LR
H001T .22LR MONUMENT VALLEY
H003T PUMP .22LR
BBS .41 MAG
SS .357
SIDE GATE 38-55