Spring has sprung. Get out and shoot your Henry

Deer hoist, Bubba style

Tell us about the accessories you like, want, can't live without or wish they made. Throw in a picture or two also.
GunnyGene
Drover
United States of America

Deer hoist, Bubba style

Post by GunnyGene » Sun Nov 17, 2019 3:09 pm

Bought one of those portable tripod hoists last week to help me get this season's carcass in the bed of my old beater Ranger. Last year, I almost couldn't load a small doe. Gettin' old I reckon. ;)

Anyway, I don't know why they called the thing portable, it weighs 50lbs and you have to stake it into the ground. :roll: Also, I discovered that the leg spread wouldn't allow me to back my truck far enough in between the legs to get under a hung deer ( I take the kill to a local processor).

Soooooo, time for my inner Bubba to get to work. Finished up this hoist that I started on yesterday. Some scrap lumber I had laying around and the winch (less the gambrel, don't need that) that came with the tripod. Attached it to a 4x4 on my shop lean to with 2 of the ground stakes that came with the tripod. Tested it by hanging my 210lb self from it and I didn't break it, so I reckon it's good enough for any of the local deer. And after I retrieve the deer with my lawn tractor trailer and hang it from the winch, I can back the truck up under it and drop the future steaks and burger in the bed without breaking my back.

In case anyone is wondering why I didn't just buy a truck mount hoist, the ground here can be pretty soft and I didn't want to risk getting stuck.

2 x
Bellum Omnium Contra Omnes is rapidly becoming a reality (11/2023). Para Bellum.

Mags
Ranch Foreman
United States of America

Re: Deer hoist, Bubba style

Post by Mags » Sun Nov 17, 2019 3:32 pm

Looks like it'll do what you intend.
GunnyGene wrote:
Sun Nov 17, 2019 3:09 pm
0 x
UPDATES: OR passes 114, "one of strictest gun control measures in U.S." https://henryrifleforums.com/viewtopic. ... 34#p213234

BigAl52
Forum Ambassador
United States of America

Post by BigAl52 » Sun Nov 17, 2019 3:42 pm

Mans gotta do what a mans gotta do. Beats back surgery
0 x
Don't worry about getting older and still doing stupid stuff. You'll do the stupid stuff as always, only much slower. Hold my beer and watch this.......

H001T .22LR
H001T .22LR MONUMENT VALLEY
H003T PUMP .22LR
BBS .41 MAG
SS .357
SIDE GATE 38-55

JEBar
Town Marshal / Deputy Admin
United States of America

Post by JEBar » Sun Nov 17, 2019 4:03 pm

Bubba be praised .. 8-) .. a country boy will survive .. :!: