Spring has sprung. Get out and shoot your Henry

Trip to Walmart

Tell us about the accessories you like, want, can't live without or wish they made. Throw in a picture or two also.
markiver54
Deputy Marshal
United States of America

Trip to Walmart

Post by markiver54 » Wed Jan 16, 2019 10:43 pm

When at the cabin where I can shoot, always have just used a rolled up bathroom towel for forearm support. Wife would like to keep the towels clean. So...I need some sand bags or cheap supports. I know there are a million out there, however, I went to Walmart today on a mission. Got kinda funny when I was browsing the women's department for a set of leggings. Had a pair in my hand with a camo print that I thought might be appropriate for the up coming project. Attractive young lady asked if she could help. I said " do you have any of these in a more stove pipe leg shape? She said "for you" very seriuosly. :lol: I said of course not :D she got a big :lol: out of that as well. Told her I was going to cut some of the legs off, fill with rice and zip tie the ends to make shooting rests for my rifles. She smiled real big and said "wow..great idea" ended up with black, but seems like they will work very well. Sorry such a long post...was actually fun...maybe one of those...had to be there things :)
20190116_221322.jpg
20190116_221322.jpg (111.51 KiB) Viewed 5708 times
$3.88 for leggings and $4.50 for 10 lb of rice. Hey, it was something to do today in bad weather.
20190116_221322.jpg
20190116_221322.jpg (111.51 KiB) Viewed 5708 times
Attachments
20190116_225005.jpg
20190116_225005.jpg (115.55 KiB) Viewed 5702 times
6 x
I'm your Huckleberry

JEBar
Town Marshal / Deputy Admin
United States of America

Re: Trip to Walmart

Post by JEBar » Wed Jan 16, 2019 10:57 pm

a country boy will survive .. ;) .. the bags I have back home that I've been using for 20 some years were made from sections of legs cut from an old pair of bluejeans .... back then we had a place at the ocean and they are filled with beach sand ....
2 x

Mags
Ranch Foreman
United States of America

Post by Mags » Wed Jan 16, 2019 11:25 pm

That's funny story. Thanks for sharing. You have a good looking pair of leggings! :lol:
markiver54 wrote:When at the cabin where I can shoot, always have just used a rolled up bathroom towel for forearm support. Wife would like to keep the towels clean. So...I need some sand bags or cheap supports. I know there are a million out there, however, I went to Walmart today on a mission. Got kinda funny when I was browsing the women's department for a set of leggings. Had a pair in my hand with a camo print that I thought might be appropriate for the up coming project. Attractive young lady asked if she could help. I said " do you have any of these in a more stove pipe leg shape? She said "for you" very seriuosly. :lol: I said of course not :D she got a big :lol: out of that as well. Told her I was going to cut some of the legs off, fill with rice and zip tie the ends to make shooting rests for my rifles. She smiled real big and said "wow..great idea" ended up with black, but seems like they will work very well. Sorry such a long post...was actually fun...maybe one of those...had to be there things :)

$3.88 for leggings and $4.50 for 10 lb of rice. Hey, it was something to do today in bad weather.
1 x
UPDATES: OR passes 114, "one of strictest gun control measures in U.S." https://henryrifleforums.com/viewtopic. ... 34#p213234

North Country Gal
Firearms Advisor
United States of America

Post by North Country Gal » Thu Jan 17, 2019 10:27 am

From experience, if you want your cloth or leather bags to last, don't use them with revolvers without some extra protection. Have shredded even leather bags with revolvers (though duct tape can repair any leaks). That blowback from the cylinder gaps is hard on bags. I now place a loose piece of leather or fabric or, better, rubber from an inner tube over the bag when using a bag with the revolvers.
6 x

markiver54
Deputy Marshal
United States of America

Post by markiver54 » Thu Jan 17, 2019 10:32 am

North Country Gal wrote:From experience, if you want your cloth or leather bags to last, don't use them with revolvers without some extra protection. Have shredded even leather bags with revolvers (though duct tape can repair any leaks). That blowback from the cylinder gaps is hard on bags. I now place a loose piece of leather or fabric or, better, rubber from an inner tube over the bag when using a bag with the revolvers.
Thanks for the tip. Never thought about that cylinder blast. Had Henry on my mind when making them but definitely understand what you're saying. :shock:
0 x
I'm your Huckleberry

Ojaileveraction
Cowboy
United States of America

Post by Ojaileveraction » Thu Jan 17, 2019 10:41 am

10 lb bags of generic sentless cat litter wrapped in duct tape.
1 x
Pax at Justitia

markiver54
Deputy Marshal
United States of America

Post by markiver54 » Thu Jan 17, 2019 10:47 am

Ojaileveraction wrote:10 lb bags of generic sentless cat litter wrapped in duct tape.
Hmmm, sounds like that would work also. Maybe stand up to that " blow back " NCG mentioned as well.
1 x
I'm your Huckleberry

Rifletom
Deputy Marshal
United States of America

Post by Rifletom » Sat Jan 19, 2019 1:32 am

Well markiver54, you're winning all around. Keeping the wife's towels clean, you have a couple of rests and you have rice you can cook! Novel idea.
1 x

markiver54
Deputy Marshal
United States of America

Post by markiver54 » Sat Jan 19, 2019 9:56 am

Rifletom wrote:Well markiver54, you're winning all around. Keeping the wife's towels clean, you have a couple of rests and you have rice you can cook! Novel idea.
:lol: :lol: did't realize I had achieved so much!
1 x
I'm your Huckleberry

Dahliathemeh
Cattle Driver
United States of America

Post by Dahliathemeh » Fri Mar 01, 2019 6:43 pm

Well sir I went to the local thrift store and purchased leggings for less than $3. I have some left over outdoor upholstery from a previous project. Now I will put some crappy rice in them. I'm stealing your idea!!! Mwahahahaha!!!
2 x
I never take myself seriously....