Spring has sprung. Get out and shoot your Henry

Red Wing shoes

Tell us about the accessories you like, want, can't live without or wish they made. Throw in a picture or two also.
bandit1250
Cowboy
United States of America

Red Wing shoes

Post by bandit1250 » Mon Dec 03, 2018 7:29 pm

Last summer my wife and I were riding around on the back roads and were near a place I always bought my Red Wing and Irish Setter shoes. It is a tack and leather shop. It looked like it was closed but then the women came out as we were leaving and said her husband had passed away. We hadn't been there in two years and he had been gone 1 year. I buy all my shoes there and he was a great guy to deal with. Also bought my leather wallets there and really nice leather knife sheaths. I could take my knife with me and go through his sheaths and get one with a perfect fit. He had a fantastic stock of name brand shoes but I always bought the Red Wing and Irish Setters. I am extremely hard on shoes and I would always get two pair at at a time so I always had a nice pair to wear if going out. I don't wear tennis shoes or any thing like that in the summer but wear my Red Wing not insulated shoes. Then in the bad weather I go to the Gore-tex water proof and thinsulate shoes by Red Wing. Well any how the lady said there were a few pair left in my size so she took us in. I found two pair my size both in the Red Wings and she said the first pair I tried on would be $40. They were $190 shoes. I said "You can't sell these for $40 and her reply was "We made a lot of money from you buying here and bringing others here to buy." Then she said "It is my turn to show my appreciation for your business over the years." Then she set a really not very nice looking pair of Red Wings on the counter. I said I don't like the color of them. She said "They are your size and you can have them for $25." She didn't seem to want to take no for an answer and said she would take them to the flea market if I didn't buy them so I did. They have sat here until today because I didn't really like the color so today I put a good heavy coat of Neats foot oil on them and let it soak in well and then buffed them with a rag. Then I put a good coat of Hornady Unique case resizing lube on them and now I like them enough I will wear them. Hornady Unique works on leather very well. The one in the front is the one I used the oil and sizing lube on. I think it looks nice now especially for $25. I told my wife I am going to wear on of each color. :shock: :lol:

7 x

North Country Gal
Firearms Advisor
United States of America

Re: Red Wing shoes

Post by North Country Gal » Mon Dec 03, 2018 7:43 pm

Wow! That's as old time small shop America as it gets. Truly a dying breed in this day and age of big box stores. Thanks for sharing.
1 x

RetiredSeabee
Administrator
United States of America

Post by RetiredSeabee » Mon Dec 03, 2018 9:01 pm

Good looking boot refinishing job. I see a couple of rifle stock projects in the background. Are we going to see them as well?
1 x
Load on Sunday and Shoot all Week.......okay it's a Mare's Leg I will reload on Wednesday. ;)

Sir Henry
Administrator / Owner
United States of America

Post by Sir Henry » Mon Dec 03, 2018 9:30 pm

Great story! Aren’t Red Wings made in MN?
1 x
Hi, my name is Gene and I'm a Henryholic from Wisconsin.

Range Reporter: Henry Repeater

bandit1250
Cowboy
United States of America

Post by bandit1250 » Mon Dec 03, 2018 10:10 pm

Sir Henry wrote:Great story! Aren’t Red Wings made in MN?

You are right Sir Henry. Mostly hand made in Red Wing, Minnesota, Potosi, Missouri and Danville, Kentucky out of USA materials. Here is a pretty good read about Red Wing shoes.
https://www.redwingheritage.com/us/USD/page/how-made
1 x

ESquared
Deputy Administrator
United States of America

Post by ESquared » Mon Dec 03, 2018 10:54 pm

Cool story and nice re-furb. Thanks for sharing.
1 x
BB Steel .357 | SGC 22LR | LR .308 | CCH 30-30 | BB Brass .45 Colt (Carbine) | Single Shot 20 gauge | Single Shot .223 | Single Shot 357

ChefDuane
Cowhand
United States of America

Post by ChefDuane » Tue Dec 04, 2018 1:29 am

I used to wear Red Wing boot exclusively. Being a Chef and on my feet all day requires good cushioning and ankle support. I've had ankle surgery and have 2 knee replacements, both left and right - (long story). I have found, however, that Red Wings can be quite heavy due to its rugged construction. I am now wearing an over-ankle 5.11 Tactical boot that provides excellent support but is much lighter. Still no complaints about when I wore Red Wings tho.
1 x
Henry Classic H001
Henry AR-7 Survival

USCG '77-'83
NRA/TxLTC

There is no greater protection against evil on the rampage than a loaded firearm in the hands of a free man.

BigAl52
Forum Ambassador
United States of America

Post by BigAl52 » Tue Dec 04, 2018 9:11 am

I couldnt figure out what was missing from that picture Bandit. But now I know its the 444 ammo box. Nice job on the boots. We have a local Red Wing store where I live but I havent been in there in years.
1 x
Don't worry about getting older and still doing stupid stuff. You'll do the stupid stuff as always, only much slower. Hold my beer and watch this.......

H001T .22LR
H001T .22LR MONUMENT VALLEY
H003T PUMP .22LR
BBS .41 MAG
SS .357
SIDE GATE 38-55

ESquared
Deputy Administrator
United States of America

Post by ESquared » Tue Dec 04, 2018 11:31 am

FWIW, both colors seem fine, especially for 25 bucks, but glad you figured out the magic formula to a great Red Wing dye job. Who'da guessed case lube was in the recipe?
0 x
BB Steel .357 | SGC 22LR | LR .308 | CCH 30-30 | BB Brass .45 Colt (Carbine) | Single Shot 20 gauge | Single Shot .223 | Single Shot 357

Mags
Ranch Foreman
United States of America

Post by Mags » Tue Dec 04, 2018 1:09 pm

I miss the Red Wing white socks. Best replacement found so far Kirkland from Costco.
1 x
UPDATES: OR passes 114, "one of strictest gun control measures in U.S." https://henryrifleforums.com/viewtopic. ... 34#p213234