Spring has sprung. Get out and shoot your Henry

Choosing The Best Deer Rifle

Tell us about the accessories you like, want, can't live without or wish they made. Throw in a picture or two also.
Team Roper
Cowhand
United States of America

Re: Choosing The Best Deer Rifle

Post by Team Roper » Wed Aug 12, 2020 8:00 am

bdbrown66 wrote:
Wed Aug 12, 2020 7:55 am
Team Roper wrote:
Wed Aug 12, 2020 6:15 am
bdbrown66 wrote:
Tue Aug 11, 2020 10:49 pm

You need a better recipe. Check the Western Powder load data for "30k PSI" 45 Colt loads. Your Henry will handle them just fine, as will a Marlin 1894, Ruger Blackhawk, etc. But not to be used in the older/weaker actions.

I'm using Accurate #9 powder, about a grain below the listed max for 250gr bullets. It is quite a bit warmer than your Unique load. Puts you right on par with a 44 mag. Again, only in newer/stronger actions.
One more thing also. I have to keep my velocities somewhat at bay because I am shooting plain base bullets and not gas checks.
That's definitely a consideration. Can't push plain lead bullets that fast. I'm using JHP's. Gas check bullets would work, too.
I just ordered a new mold from Accurate Bullet Molds and it is another 255 gr. Plain base bullet too. I never planned on magnumizing the 45 Colt. I have a 44 Mag rifle if I want to push it.I like those nice big wide flat nose bullets for the punch. They sure make my 45-70 a thumper.
2 x
Army Paratrooper
173 rd Airborne Brigade, 2nd/503 rd. Airborne Infantry, Vietnam 66-67, point man, tunnel rat
combat jump 2/67
82 nd Airborne Div. 1st/505th Airborne Infantry, Vietnam, 68, Sniper
jumped with the Army Parachute Team, The Golden Knights.