Spring has sprung. Get out and shoot your Henry

Range Fees

Tell us about the accessories you like, want, can't live without or wish they made. Throw in a picture or two also.
Sir Henry
Administrator / Owner
United States of America

Re: Range Fees

Post by Sir Henry » Sat Dec 30, 2017 2:19 pm

CT_Shooter wrote:
Sir Henry wrote: One of our local indoor ranges had a lawsuit filed against them from employees because of the high lead count in the air. I really DO NOT like shooting indoors.
I hope they managed to clean the air for those folks. At this range, the bullets and shrapnel are deflected downward by a thick steel back wall, then captured in water and the ventilation system is outstanding, all of which is likely part of the reason for the high cost. State regulations here are very strict.
In this case the owners were aware of the problem and did not do anything about it.
1 x
Hi, my name is Gene and I'm a Henryholic from Wisconsin.

Range Reporter: Henry Repeater

Bugs
Cowhand
United States of America

Post by Bugs » Sat Dec 30, 2017 4:43 pm

http://www.desotogunclub.com/
$125/year. When I first joined many moons ago it was 65 bucks. We have several pistol ranges 25 & 50 yards. A 100 yd range and 200 yd rifle range. There is also a containment range for machine guns. Trap house with thrower; bring your own clays. We used to have a bowling pin table until some idiot brought his own solid plastic pins and proceeded to shoot himself in the abdomen with a ricochet. Guy bled like a stuck pig and got hauled off in the meat wagon. The cast iron bowling pin table was promptly removed along with the loss of bowling pin matches. Nice outdoor range surrounded by fencing with razor ribbon to keep the street urchins out. Bathroom facilities and computerized gate with every member having a ID card with chip that opens the automatic gate.
0 x

GFK
Cowboy
United States of America

Post by GFK » Sat Dec 30, 2017 9:45 pm

Sir Henry wrote:How much are your range fees? Our 200 yard outdoor range is $100 a year but $25 for those of us 65 years and older. They also ask for $40 if you have not able to put in four hours labor during one of the work parties. I pay the $25 range fee, add $40 for work and donate $35 to the youth program so I pay a total of $100 even though I am older than 65.
Seems like a deal. At one range, it is a $20 per visit. But, it offers on site range masters, shop (ammo, guns, gun rest, etc.)/restaurant, 25yds, 50yds, 100yds, 200yds, 300yds and shot gun ranges. However, it is about a 45-60 minutes drive one way. The club that I joined has a 25yds, 50yds, 100yds and 200yds ranges plus a skeet and plate area. Yet, it comes with the 3 meetings and 3 working parties a year at $75 annually dues (includes family) plus one-time $100 joining fee. And, it is about a 15 minutes drive one way. So, I get to shoot more often. I am looking for some land though. I would like to have an area to shoot and possible hunt on.
0 x
Actions speak louder than words (Matthew 7:16-20).

clovishound
Drover
United States of America

Post by clovishound » Sun Dec 31, 2017 12:32 pm

Our local indoor range is $5 a visit for pistol and $10 for rifle. 15 yd and 25 yd respectively. I get an annual membership for $125 which allows both Clovispup and I unlimited visits. If you work it out by visit, we normally pay less than a couple bucks a visit each. We go most Tuesdays.
0 x
There is, I think, humor here which does not translate well from English to sanity. - Sanya

Squatch
Cattle Driver
United States of America

Post by Squatch » Sun Dec 31, 2017 4:37 pm

Several years ago our county built a range on old land inside the county landfill. It was originally for police but got extended to public use. Police use it early in the week. The public uses it midweek on. $15 or $60 annual for county residents. Very nice range built to NRA specs. Always manned by RSO's.
Separate 21yd pistol and 200 yd rifle ranges. Smokeless or black powder. All outdoors.

The county tried the trick of requiring that the range be self supporting and using no county funds. Ha Ha! It's the only county entity that actually makes money for the county! 15 minutes away from me. Because of the location the noise stays inside the landfill.
2 x
Any load data discussed by me is for entertainment purposes only. I can not condone or be responsible for it's use by others.

Steve51
Cattle Driver
United States of America

Post by Steve51 » Sun Dec 31, 2017 6:22 pm

Our county sportsman club raised their annual dues from $30 to $40 per year. The club has a range for shooting clays, An elevated stand for Archery practice, and a pistol / rifle range with 25 yd, 50 yd,, and 100 yd. berms. It is located in a rural farming area. We have a clubhouse and meet for business once per month.
0 x
H001, H001L, H004, H001TM, H006, H010, H012M, H012GR
NRA Member, GOA Member, ISRA Member, ILCCW

GFK
Cowboy
United States of America

Post by GFK » Sun Dec 31, 2017 6:47 pm

Squatch wrote:
The county tried the trick of requiring that the range be self supporting and using no county funds. Ha Ha! It's the only county entity that actually makes money for the county! 15 minutes away from me. Because of the location the noise stays inside the landfill.
Must be a lot of shooting going on. :)
0 x
Actions speak louder than words (Matthew 7:16-20).

ditto1958
Cowboy
United States of America

Post by ditto1958 » Mon Jan 01, 2018 1:17 am

Our outdoor range is $20 a year, or $7 for a day. Coffee is free. Paper targets are $.25.

I am a volunteer range officer, so it’s free for me.
0 x

Les
Cowboy
South Africa

Post by Les » Mon Jan 01, 2018 6:18 am

One club I shoot at has a 25 yard indoor range and charges +/- $80 p.a. membership and $3 range fee for each visit. We also get to shoot on military ranges at least once a month, at distances from 100 - 1000 yards for around $12 a visit.

The other club has a 25 yard indoor range and charges $80 p.a. membership, but there are no additional range fees to pay.
0 x

BrokenolMarine
Ranch Foreman
United States of America

Post by BrokenolMarine » Mon Jan 01, 2018 8:20 am

My range is right on the farm a short distance from the side porch. I built it right after we bought the property and I got a good start on the berm from the folks who cleared the center of the acreage, when they pushed all the brush and dirt into one large pile at the edge of the two acre clearing. Then the state had to daylight the "Dead Man's Curve," and had no funds to buy more road frontage. I told them to "Daylight" away, but haul all the soil they removed back to my range and dump it. We used it to build up the berm, re-slope the back yard, and get the proper runoff away from the front of the house. They moved 45 dump loads and we used it all. :)

With the zoning here, I didn't NEED permission from the County, but I had the Sheriff at the time come out and approve the range after it was built and I have allowed them to use the range when their range floods. It's located below the County Dump and the runoff in severe weather drains right into the shooting lanes. (Poor planning?) :roll:

In the more than two decades we have been here, my berm has settled a bit, but since I am the only one using the range, I can live with it until I finally decide to add the 100 yard range, or just add another two or three feet back to the berm. I have reactive steel, frames for qualification type targets, and various other target systems acquired over the years. Life is good. I am blessed.
60 yard line.jpg
60 yard line.jpg (657.36 KiB) Viewed 6224 times
Back when I was still competing, this was the view from 60 yards
4 x
You can tell a lot about the character of a man...
by the way he treats those who can do nothing for him.