Spring has sprung. Get out and shoot your Henry

Hearing Protection While Hunting

Tell us about the accessories you like, want, can't live without or wish they made. Throw in a picture or two also.
Les
Cowboy
South Africa

Re: Hearing Protection While Hunting

Post by Les » Fri Dec 16, 2016 1:04 pm

I would love to know exactly what the guy was wearing, because the electronic Howard Leight's amplify every sound, but as soon as they detect a sudden ambient impact sound/noise impulse above 82db, they compress the sound level so it doesn't harm the hearing mechanisms of the ear.

If I'm out on a driven shoot, for example, I can hear everybody tramping through the scrub around me quite clearly, so whatever this bloke was wearing actually sound dangerous to me if they cannot detect the presence of another hunter.
1 x

Sir Henry
Administrator / Owner
United States of America

Post by Sir Henry » Fri Dec 16, 2016 6:41 pm

I almost always have a foam pair in my pocket so anywhere I go where there is noise I use them. I would want hearing protection while hunting and have an electronic set which works great. I use them over my foam inserts.
0 x
Hi, my name is Gene and I'm a Henryholic from Wisconsin.

Range Reporter: Henry Repeater

JEBar
Town Marshal / Deputy Admin
United States of America

Post by JEBar » Fri Dec 16, 2016 6:46 pm

Sir Henry wrote:I would want hearing protection while hunting and have an electronic set which works great. I use them over my foam inserts.
does that mean for you the electronic headphones by themselves do not provide sufficient hearing protection :?:
0 x

Sir Henry
Administrator / Owner
United States of America

Post by Sir Henry » Fri Dec 16, 2016 7:41 pm

JEBar wrote:
Sir Henry wrote:I would want hearing protection while hunting and have an electronic set which works great. I use them over my foam inserts.
does that mean for you the electronic headphones by themselves do not provide sufficient hearing protection :?:
Correct. I only wear the foam inserts when shooting rimfire but if centerfire is being shot nearby I double down.
0 x
Hi, my name is Gene and I'm a Henryholic from Wisconsin.

Range Reporter: Henry Repeater

JEBar
Town Marshal / Deputy Admin
United States of America

Post by JEBar » Fri Dec 16, 2016 8:17 pm

Sir Henry wrote:Correct. I only wear the foam inserts when shooting rimfire but if centerfire is being shot nearby I double down.

10-4 .... makes sense and I will try different variations with ours to see which works best for us
0 x

Steve
Cowhand
United States of America

Post by Steve » Sat Dec 17, 2016 10:29 am

I haven't got to hunt for a couple of years but I had gotten to where I wore electronic ear protection while setting in a stand or at a squirrel tree. With the electronic hearing protection I can hear the game farther away. Whn I get back out there I will definitely wear it.

Iowa just recently legalized sound suppressors. I may mount one to a "Small Game Carbine" for squirrel hunting.
0 x

DWD445
Cowboy
United States of America

Post by DWD445 » Sat Dec 17, 2016 10:35 am

Most of my hunting is ground hogs with the 22, I don't use anything then.
Outside or inside I use just plain headphone style, at 30db. Sometimes w/ 445, I use those and foam plugs !!
No bang, 445 goes BOOOOOM !!
0 x
NRA - DW wheelguns - H012S - Oh CCW