Spring has sprung. Get out and shoot your Henry

Trail Camera

Tell us about the accessories you like, want, can't live without or wish they made. Throw in a picture or two also.
markiver54
Deputy Marshal
United States of America

Re: Trail Camera

Post by markiver54 » Tue Jan 16, 2024 7:49 pm

In my experience there have been times that there are many pics yet nothing very interesting. I think that a lot of the pics were because of wind blowing tall grass or shrubbery branches. The squirrels and birds and such are annoying but occasionally we get some very good pics of Deer, Foxes, Bobcats, ( at the cottage) and some interesting critters here within city limits.
The camera settings can be a PIA but I still think it's worth it for the special pics and videos we get sometimes.
0 x
I'm your Huckleberry

Mags
Ranch Foreman
United States of America

Post by Mags » Tue Jan 16, 2024 8:00 pm

JEBar wrote:
Tue Jan 16, 2024 7:07 pm
... other than birds and squirrels I haven't seen any signs of wildlife so I'm not anticipating seeing anything else
When we first set ours up. Same thing, mostly birds and squirrels. Took patience leaving it set in any one locations for several days before deciding to repeat at another location. We eventually found a spot where we got more traffic variety. A lot of disappointment until we found a good spot. Even so, there were still days with just birds and squirrels.
We pretty much shoot videos only. Lot more interesting than still photos.
1 x
UPDATES: OR passes 114, "one of strictest gun control measures in U.S." https://henryrifleforums.com/viewtopic. ... 34#p213234

rickhem
Cowhand
United States of America

Post by rickhem » Wed Jan 17, 2024 8:12 am

Mine are all set to record videos too. I have units on either 15 or 20 seconds, and I think 15 seconds is enough.
Part of the learning curve is to get all the vegetation out of the immediate vicinity of where the camera points. That cuts down on the wind generated captures. For mounting, I prefer the little screw-in hooks with the 1/4x20 end that the unit screws onto. It's way, way less obvious than a black strap around a tree trunk, and offers more options when aiming the unit at where you want it to point. I have cameras on smaller, 6"-8" trees, but those sway more in windy conditions, giving empty videos. Bigger trees are more stable, and help hide the camera better, but yuou don't always have that option.
My highest activity units are placed at gaps in the treelines where a tractor or other vehicles would pass, or pointing along a road/trail that runs along a treeline. Aiming the camera down the road/trail gives better results than aiming across it. Seems like the deer and coyotes cross from field to field through the gap, while the fox, racoons, porcupines, bobcats, and other small stuff cross from within one side of the treeline to the other side, preferring to stay within the treeline.
0 x

JEBar
Town Marshal / Deputy Admin
United States of America

Post by JEBar » Wed Jan 17, 2024 9:11 am

thanks for the suggestions and comments about using a trail camera .... this rookie really appreciates it
0 x

Mags
Ranch Foreman
United States of America

Post by Mags » Wed Jan 17, 2024 3:00 pm

In garden areas close to the house I use a tri-pod. So much easier to quickly change locations. When we get a good spot or when we leave town I'll strap it to a tree so that it is less obvious.
0 x
UPDATES: OR passes 114, "one of strictest gun control measures in U.S." https://henryrifleforums.com/viewtopic. ... 34#p213234

markiver54
Deputy Marshal
United States of America

Post by markiver54 » Wed Jan 17, 2024 4:12 pm

Mags wrote:
Wed Jan 17, 2024 3:00 pm
In garden areas close to the house I use a tri-pod. So much easier to quickly change locations.
That would be nice, and I thought about it once. I do have a tri-pod, however where I live, I don't want it to be obvious to critters of the two-legged type. 🤨
0 x
I'm your Huckleberry

Mags
Ranch Foreman
United States of America

Post by Mags » Wed Jan 17, 2024 4:36 pm

markiver54 wrote:
Wed Jan 17, 2024 4:12 pm
Mags wrote:
Wed Jan 17, 2024 3:00 pm
In garden areas close to the house I use a tri-pod. So much easier to quickly change locations.
That would be nice, and I thought about it once. I do have a tri-pod, however where I live, I don't want it to be obvious to critters of the two-legged type. 🤨
We're pretty secluded, so not too much concern here with two legged critters. When we're not home the camera is well hidden to capture license plates. We sometimes get trespass drive-threws despite the signage to stay out.
1 x

rickhem
Cowhand
United States of America

Post by rickhem » Thu Jan 18, 2024 9:15 am

[/quote]
We're pretty secluded, so not too much concern here with two legged critters. When we're not home the camera is well hidden to capture license plates. We sometimes get trespass drive-threws despite the signage to stay out.
[/quote]

This would be my sole purpose for getting a cell service camera. I'm rural and secluded enough that if someone came down the driveway when we weren't home, nobody would see anything. Having a cell service unit that gave immediate notification would at least let me know if/when someone was there. I put one of my chip cameras elevated on a tree and facing the house, which worked well, but you only get to see what it has observed when you pull the chip.
1 x

markiver54
Deputy Marshal
United States of America

Post by markiver54 » Thu Jan 18, 2024 9:33 am

Keep in mind that anyone with ill intent can just remove the card if they see the camera.
0 x
I'm your Huckleberry

Steve51
Cattle Driver
United States of America

Post by Steve51 » Thu Jan 18, 2024 10:16 am

The MUDDY brand trail cams that I have take pretty good daytime pictures but night pictures lack clarity. Pretty sure a license number would be impossible read on a night photo.
2023_11_12_1.JPG
2023_11_12_1.JPG (323.96 KiB) Viewed 627 times
This picture has been cropped
2023_12_27.JPG
2023_12_27.JPG (878.51 KiB) Viewed 627 times
This picture has been cropped
2023_12_25_1.JPG
2023_12_25_1.JPG (679.24 KiB) Viewed 627 times
1 x
H001, H001L, H004, H001TM, H001TLB, H006, H010, H012M, H012GR
NRA Member, GOA Member, ISRA Member, ILCCW