Spring has sprung. Get out and shoot your Henry

Two way radios

Tell us about the accessories you like, want, can't live without or wish they made. Throw in a picture or two also.
markiver54
Deputy Marshal
United States of America

Two way radios

Post by markiver54 » Fri Feb 10, 2023 9:08 am

Do any of you use hand held two way radios for hunting, or just around the homestead?
I'm thinking of getting a quality set for use up at our cabin. We get no cell phone service unless we're right at the cabin off the WIFI. I'm thinking in terms of emergency/safety when I go up the mountain on my 4wheeler so that I can contact Carol should something happen to me or the quad. Because of the mountain terrain and many switchbacks, I know I would need a good quality set. Even then I might lose signal as there are many hollows that I travel through. I have a couple old, good quality CB radios and the 4wheeler came with a place on the rear rack to mount an antenna, but I don't want to have to buy and set up a base unit in the cabin. Any recommendations based on experience or just general knowledge would be appreciated.
0 x
I'm your Huckleberry

daytime dave
Administrator / Owner
United States of America

Re: Two way radios

Post by daytime dave » Fri Feb 10, 2023 9:43 am

Mark, I have had CB radios for many years. I have old portable radios. I also have a GMRS radio license. I'd say that is the way to go. I use them hunting and they are great. I have the cheaper Beufang UV-5R radios that I programmed myslef. They give a few miles of range and are good. I'd stay away from the Family radios sold many places.

Good luck.
0 x
Some days I'm Andy, most days I'm Barney........
Eaglescout, NRA Life Endowment member, BCCI Life Member

markiver54
Deputy Marshal
United States of America

Post by markiver54 » Fri Feb 10, 2023 10:01 am

Thanks Dave. I have a Vertex VX-150 that I used when I was bear hunting, but, I only have one. It was not cheap, and I had to have a local guy program it to the channels that the club used. IT, worked great, even on the mountain. Don't know where to find another now that would pair properly with the old Vertex, or how to get it programmed to talk to the existing one.
Thanks for the advice on the Family radios. I WAS looking at a couple sets on Amazon. Maybe not a good idea though. Even though one of them boasted a 35 mile range, that is under perfect straight line conditions with no interference I'm sure.
0 x
I'm your Huckleberry

markiver54
Deputy Marshal
United States of America

Post by markiver54 » Fri Feb 10, 2023 10:10 am

This is what I currently have.
20230210_100240.jpg
20230210_100240.jpg (3.4 MiB) Viewed 2074 times
0 x
I'm your Huckleberry

Hatchdog
Ranch Foreman
United States of America

Post by Hatchdog » Fri Feb 10, 2023 10:11 am

My cousin and I used the inexpensive family radios (Magavox?) for years and generally had good success. Occasionally we would not be able to communicate due to a deep canyon or such but mostly they worked great. I haven’t’ looked at them for a while but when I did they were inexpensive enough that you could consider just giving them a try. Mine had a charging dock which was very handy in between hunts.
0 x

markiver54
Deputy Marshal
United States of America

Post by markiver54 » Fri Feb 10, 2023 10:16 am

Thanks Hatch. Those are the type units I was considering and looking at on Amazon. Gosh, they have a lot of them. For the money, like you said, they might be worth a try. Your input is appreciated!
0 x
I'm your Huckleberry

markiver54
Deputy Marshal
United States of America

Post by markiver54 » Mon Feb 13, 2023 5:10 pm

Dave, is it totally necessary to get a GMRS license ?...or anyone else that knows?
0 x
I'm your Huckleberry

Mags
Ranch Foreman
United States of America

Post by Mags » Mon Feb 13, 2023 9:52 pm

markiver54 wrote:
Mon Feb 13, 2023 5:10 pm
Dave, is it totally necessary to get a GMRS license ?...or anyone else that knows?
Yes. FCC website
https://www.fcc.gov/wireless/bureau-div ... rvice-gmrs "Licensing" tab.
An FCC license is required to operate GMRS system."
1 x
UPDATES: OR passes 114, "one of strictest gun control measures in U.S." https://henryrifleforums.com/viewtopic. ... 34#p213234

daytime dave
Administrator / Owner
United States of America

Post by daytime dave » Tue Feb 14, 2023 3:43 pm

Mark, the license is required, but if I remember correctly, it's just filling out the form and sending back the fee. It's worth it in my opinion. The license is good for your immediate family when using the GMRS. That way you can use it hunting with your "brothers" and "sisters" as I do. I have the license and five radios. I mostly use them with my step son when we hunt.
0 x
Some days I'm Andy, most days I'm Barney........
Eaglescout, NRA Life Endowment member, BCCI Life Member

markiver54
Deputy Marshal
United States of America

Post by markiver54 » Tue Feb 14, 2023 5:05 pm

Thanks Dave. It's looking like that is the way I might go. Once again, your input is appreciated.
0 x
I'm your Huckleberry