Spring has sprung. Get out and shoot your Henry

A new pair of shoes

Tell us about the accessories you like, want, can't live without or wish they made. Throw in a picture or two also.
North Country Gal
Firearms Advisor
United States of America

Re: A new pair of shoes

Post by North Country Gal » Sat Mar 12, 2022 4:28 pm

Dave, do let us know how they work for you. Sounds like fun.
0 x

daytime dave
Administrator / Owner
United States of America

Post by daytime dave » Sat Mar 12, 2022 5:00 pm

I have to say that it was blowing about 15 to 25 mph, snowing lightly and Mary came with me to try out her new snow shoes too! She got the latest and greatest for winter mountain climbing in the Adirondacks. They are aluminum and something else. They cost about the same as mine. r

I am fortunate that I can order a pair of snow shoes like this. When I was a scout, I bought my other pair of wooden shoes. I prefer the time honored and traditional over the modern and latest technology. I guess I really am turning into Elmer Fudd! I am glad that I can and am.

We had 8 - 10 inches of powder snow that fell since about 10 pm last night. I put my shoes on and used some adjustable poles from a set of aluminum shoes. I had the best experience. The shoes compressed down about four inches in the fresh snow, I was able to walk steadily and evenly. I did some turning in brush and the shoes performed wonderfully. I am very happy with the purchase, workmanship and quality of these new shoes. We are expecting more snow this evening, so I'll try them again tomorrow. I also had no trouble with my leg. I walked without difficulty, which was great. We didn't go as far as we wanted because it was bitterly cold in the wind and we had gloves on instead of mittens. Mary's shoes worked well also. Her's are MSR lightning ascent.

Gene, don't hesitate to order a pair from Mr. Novacek. I think from start to finish it was just under three weeks as he made them once I ordered. There were a few days of email regarding the canoe seat and what I wanted it for. I will let everyone know how it holds up to rowing in a few months.
These shoes will be a great addition to the winter outdoor gear here at the new farm.
1 x
Some days I'm Andy, most days I'm Barney........
Eaglescout, NRA Life Endowment member, BCCI Life Member

markiver54
Deputy Marshal
United States of America

Post by markiver54 » Sat Mar 12, 2022 5:50 pm

Great report Dave! Glad you're doing well on that leg as well!!
1 x
I'm your Huckleberry

Sir Henry
Administrator / Owner
United States of America

Post by Sir Henry » Sun Mar 13, 2022 10:39 am

daytime dave wrote:
Sat Mar 12, 2022 5:00 pm
I have to say that it was blowing about 15 to 25 mph, snowing lightly and Mary came with me to try out her new snow shoes too! She got the latest and greatest for winter mountain climbing in the Adirondacks. They are aluminum and something else. They cost about the same as mine. r

I am fortunate that I can order a pair of snow shoes like this. When I was a scout, I bought my other pair of wooden shoes. I prefer the time honored and traditional over the modern and latest technology. I guess I really am turning into Elmer Fudd! I am glad that I can and am.

We had 8 - 10 inches of powder snow that fell since about 10 pm last night. I put my shoes on and used some adjustable poles from a set of aluminum shoes. I had the best experience. The shoes compressed down about four inches in the fresh snow, I was able to walk steadily and evenly. I did some turning in brush and the shoes performed wonderfully. I am very happy with the purchase, workmanship and quality of these new shoes. We are expecting more snow this evening, so I'll try them again tomorrow. I also had no trouble with my leg. I walked without difficulty, which was great. We didn't go as far as we wanted because it was bitterly cold in the wind and we had gloves on instead of mittens. Mary's shoes worked well also. Her's are MSR lightning ascent.

Gene, don't hesitate to order a pair from Mr. Novacek. I think from start to finish it was just under three weeks as he made them once I ordered. There were a few days of email regarding the canoe seat and what I wanted it for. I will let everyone know how it holds up to rowing in a few months.
These shoes will be a great addition to the winter outdoor gear here at the new farm.
I’m going to call him tomorrow. Thanks for the report. I recently bought a pair of modern shoes and kept throwing one. I didn’t care for the bindings at all.
0 x
Hi, my name is Gene and I'm a Henryholic from Wisconsin.

Range Reporter: Henry Repeater

daytime dave
Administrator / Owner
United States of America

Post by daytime dave » Sun Mar 13, 2022 12:12 pm

He offers two kinds of bindings. I opted for the largest leather bindings he had to accommodate my size 13 winter hunting boots. They are plenty large enough. Good luck.
0 x

Sir Henry
Administrator / Owner
United States of America

Post by Sir Henry » Sun Mar 13, 2022 1:13 pm

daytime dave wrote:
Sun Mar 13, 2022 12:12 pm
He offers two kinds of bindings. I opted for the largest leather bindings he had to accommodate my size 13 winter hunting boots. They are plenty large enough. Good luck.
Thanks. I wear a 9 1/2 city shoe and often go to a 11 for winter boots. Gotta have lots of toe wiggle room.
0 x
Hi, my name is Gene and I'm a Henryholic from Wisconsin.

Range Reporter: Henry Repeater

daytime dave
Administrator / Owner
United States of America

Post by daytime dave » Sun Mar 13, 2022 2:29 pm

I just got back inside from another walk with the new shoes. They performed as flawlessly as yesterday with an additional 4 to 6 inches of snow on top of what we had yesterday. The sun was out and we went to the top of the pasture hill. I'm very happy with these.

I sent the maker a link to my original post and he was glad I was pleased. I hope he likes the site and joins.
1 x