Spring has sprung. Get out and shoot your Henry

what type - style pac.

Tell us about the accessories you like, want, can't live without or wish they made. Throw in a picture or two also.
biglever
Cowhand
United States of America

what type - style pac.

Post by biglever » Thu Aug 04, 2016 8:25 pm

How many guys use a back pac or fanny pac
Old .military NATO pac etc. Wile hunting.
I carryed a old military NATO pac for yrs.
Every sence I started hunting the Adirondack
Mtns.
Last couple yrs. I have down sized to a British
Military , pac what I call a day pac. My be post a pic. Later. It carrys everything I need for a day trip
Out in the BIG woods.
0 x

daytime dave
Administrator / Owner
United States of America

Re: what type - style pac.

Post by daytime dave » Thu Aug 04, 2016 10:01 pm

I have a small pack that makes itself into a stool. It's not good for either one, but it's ok.
0 x
Some days I'm Andy, most days I'm Barney........
Eaglescout, NRA Life Endowment member, BCCI Life Member

JEBar
Town Marshal / Deputy Admin
United States of America

Post by JEBar » Thu Aug 04, 2016 10:21 pm

I make a serious effort to take the smallest possible amount of "stuff" with me when I go into the woods .... if I have a truck/four wheeler close by I generally pack more than if I'm walking .... early on I tried several different WWII Army Surplus packs with separate pack frames, never did like the feel of them .... the backpack I use is a decades old version of the Cabela's Whitetail Day Hunting Pack ===> http://www.cabelas.com/product/hunting/ ... _104392080 <===
1 x

Deadwood Dutch
Cowboy
United States of America

Post by Deadwood Dutch » Thu Aug 04, 2016 10:46 pm

I have a Cabela's soft fluorescent orange back pack that I have used for years but last year, for the first time, I tried to eliminate everything that I could and use my pockets in my hunting coat and pants because at my age I don't need the extra weight on my back when going up the mountain, even though it is a gradual climb and not very steep. Some of the things that I carried I really didn't need, after all. The wind in the old body isn't what it used to be.
1 x
U.S. Navy ⚓️ 1965-1969 - NRA Member - Henry H004, Henry H001

JEBar
United States of America

Post by JEBar » Thu Aug 04, 2016 11:14 pm

Deadwood Dutch wrote:I have a Cabela's soft fluorescent orange back pack that I have used for years but last year, for the first time, I tried to eliminate everything that I could and use my pockets in my hunting coat and pants because at my age I don't need the extra weight on my back when going up the mountain, even though it is a gradual climb and not very steep. Some of the things that I carried I really didn't need, after all. The wind in the old body isn't what it used to be.
all toooooo well understood
1 x

biglever
Cowhand
United States of America

Post by biglever » Fri Aug 05, 2016 9:23 am

20151115_094219.jpg
This is a pic Of my 87 yr old uncle that I. Brought up to the Adirondacks for a day in the woods
He's my old hunting buddy. Not long after I took this pic. , on our way back out , he sliped on a rock
Stepping over a washed out section of this trail.
I though he broke his leg.
I won't be bring him up anymore. But we had a great day together.
On the way home we stoped at the black bear diner , for a bowl of hot chillie.
We always stoped there on our way up to his camp
Or on our way home
1 x

JEBar
United States of America

Post by JEBar » Fri Aug 05, 2016 10:05 am

sorry to hear of the accident but great to hear of you building good family memories
1 x

clovishound
Drover
United States of America

Post by clovishound » Fri Aug 05, 2016 11:40 am

I carry a relatively inexpensive day pack when I go hunting. I was on a flight crew for many years, so the thought of going into the woods out of sight of the parking lot has me wanting some kind of survival equipment. Since I might have to track an animal into the woods, I have at least a modicum of stuff that will allow me to have a chance to spend the night safely in the woods rather than wander around in the dark. I also keep my spare ammo and minimal equipment needed to get an animal to the vehicle.
1 x
There is, I think, humor here which does not translate well from English to sanity. - Sanya

biglever
Cowhand
United States of America

Post by biglever » Fri Aug 05, 2016 11:57 am

I hear that
0 x

CT_Shooter
Administrator emeritus
United States of America

Post by CT_Shooter » Fri Aug 05, 2016 11:58 am

biglever wrote: ... my 87 yr old uncle that I brought up to the Adirondacks for a day in the woods. He's my old hunting buddy.
Yup! He's an "old" hunting buddy, but to be 87 and still hiking trails with a rifle and an eye for game, he's so much younger than I am. ;) Glad he's OK and that you're both still enjoying the hunt.
1 x
H006M Big Boy Brass .357 - H001 Classic .22LR - Uberti / Taylors & Co. SmokeWagon .357 5.5" - Uberti / Taylors & Co. RanchHand .22LR 5.5"