Spring has sprung. Get out and shoot your Henry

Two way radios

Tell us about the accessories you like, want, can't live without or wish they made. Throw in a picture or two also.
Mike_S
Cowhand
United States of America

Re: Two way radios

Post by Mike_S » Fri Feb 17, 2023 11:05 am

The key to FM radio communications is antenna height. You can be in a valley, and the same radio that talks back 5 miles to home from a hill top, can't hear or get to squat. That VX-150 is an elderly workhorse, I have three. I have other more versatile hand held radios, but these are the incaseofextreamemergencylookatthestickynoteontheback for my wife or visiting daughters to pick up and find me if I'm out and about. The VX is an amateur class radio, transmitting out of band (into public freqs) is not recommended, for its own health. And they are robust tools for sure.

As said above, GMRS is the way to go - it's not a license you have to test for, and the use is at your discretion. The transmit power factor is also much greater than FRS.

For real though - if you can manage it, an antenna 35' at its base off the ground does wonders for the home being able to hear rovers, and if necessary act as go between (repeater) for rovers.
1 x
Semper Fidelis.
Mike
H012MX