Spring has sprung. Get out and shoot your Henry

You should have seen the one that got away............

Freshwater saltwater Lakes, Ponds, Rivers, Streams talk about the ones that got away. Show us the ones that didn't.
daytime dave
Administrator / Owner
United States of America

You should have seen the one that got away............

Post by daytime dave » Mon May 30, 2016 8:07 am

I went fishing yesterday. Of course the biggest slob bass got off of the hook just a mere foot from "landing" him in the canoe. The wounded one's went back in as soon as possible to give them the best chance of survival. Some hung around for photos and then went back home. It was a very successful outing.

My canoe is a 12 foot Radisson wide transom. I have a new 55 lbs thrust Endura Max MinnKota with a 36" shaft. The longer shaft allows me to stand and steer. Standing in a canoe is not a good idea, unless it's a Radisson or Sportspal. They are very stable once you get the hang of it. Standing allowed me to see much better and cast a lot better. The water needs to be fairly calm too. It was a mill pond yesterday.

The scenery was nice.

I know these are not the biggest, but they were fun to catch. Next time, after the season is open, they will be delicious.

I only used two lures yesterday. On a lighter action pole, I used a #2 silver Blue Fox. That got all three different types of fish. I used a medium heavy action with a larger "critter" soft plastic to get the larger bass. The critter took a good beating and finally had to be replaced. They have two tentacles that make it look like it swims. Rigged weedless is the way to go in the snag-o-matic ponds of our north country. I enjoyed the day. My new prescription Ray Ban's lenses are polarized, so I could really see down into the water when standing. It was about 80 - 85 f and the water temperature was just right. I even have a portable fish finder that tells me temp and depth. I didn't use it this time. Didn't need it because I knew it would be perfect and I had already used it to cover this pond before. The relaxation combined with the solitude was enough to recharge some tired batteries of mine.
5 x
Some days I'm Andy, most days I'm Barney........
Eaglescout, NRA Life Endowment member, BCCI Life Member

Deadwood Dutch
Cowboy
United States of America

Re: You should have seen the one that got away............

Post by Deadwood Dutch » Mon May 30, 2016 8:37 am

Looks like a nice peaceful fishing experience, glad that you caught some fish and maybe next time you can catch the big one. Thank you for the nice photos.
2 x
U.S. Navy ⚓️ 1965-1969 - NRA Member - Henry H004, Henry H001

RetiredSeabee
Administrator
United States of America

Post by RetiredSeabee » Mon May 30, 2016 8:46 am

Glad you got to reset and recharge. Looks like you had the whole pond to yourself. Great self portraits of the left hand. Nice of the fish to pose with you.
2 x
Load on Sunday and Shoot all Week.......okay it's a Mare's Leg I will reload on Wednesday. ;)

Sir Henry
Administrator / Owner
United States of America

Post by Sir Henry » Mon May 30, 2016 10:09 am

I tried standing up in a canoe once......tried is the key word. How about some pictures of the canoe out of the water?
2 x
Hi, my name is Gene and I'm a Henryholic from Wisconsin.

Range Reporter: Henry Repeater

JEBar
Town Marshal / Deputy Admin
United States of America

Post by JEBar » Mon May 30, 2016 10:15 am

nice .... beautiful setting .... in past years I've fished from a canoe but I'm not steady enough to do so now .... thanks for the pictures
2 x

CT_Shooter
Administrator emeritus
United States of America

Post by CT_Shooter » Mon May 30, 2016 10:55 am

That's my kind of R&R. In peaceful, quiet waters with a fishing pole on a beautiful spring day. Thanks for the pictures, Dave.
2 x
H006M Big Boy Brass .357 - H001 Classic .22LR - Uberti / Taylors & Co. SmokeWagon .357 5.5" - Uberti / Taylors & Co. RanchHand .22LR 5.5"

Squatch
Cattle Driver
United States of America

Post by Squatch » Mon May 30, 2016 2:17 pm

Awesome! A bad day of fishing is better than a good day at work! I too am a fisherman. Rivers mainly for smallmouth. Right now my solo canoe is sitting on the front porch waiting for me. I sold my tandem last fall. I want to replace it with a square back for my 4hp motor. I can tow this behind my camper.
I have a 17' outboard jet bassboat that I normally use but my little truck won't pull that with the camper on it.

I've got a 4 day float planned for next month. I can't wait.
2 x
Any load data discussed by me is for entertainment purposes only. I can not condone or be responsible for it's use by others.

daytime dave
Administrator / Owner
United States of America

Post by daytime dave » Mon May 30, 2016 3:29 pm

Sir Henry wrote:I tried standing up in a canoe once......tried is the key word. How about some pictures of the canoe out of the water?
Here is the only one I could find on photobucket. I thought I had more. They must be on my hard drive. I'll keep looking.

This shows my night time nav lights.

1 x

Travlin
Cowboy

Post by Travlin » Mon May 30, 2016 8:38 pm

Dave, you should check out a Kipawa prop for your trolling motor. I use a Gheenoe with a Minn Kota and a Kipawa prop. It gave me more speed and battery run time. Thanks for the great bass photos. With bass it's catch and release. With pan-fish it's catch and grease.
2 x

daytime dave
Administrator / Owner
United States of America

Post by daytime dave » Mon May 30, 2016 9:03 pm

Travlin,

I had no idea what a Gheenoe was. I just spent about 20 blissful minutes looking into them. Wow, that is a great boat. Thanks for the heads up on the Kipawa prop too. I'll probably get one on your recommendation alone. I had never thought there was an after market for these things.
I looked at a propane powered outboard for my Radisson last fall. I didn't have the money then and don't now, but..................
2 x