Spring has sprung. Get out and shoot your Henry

Miss Tina's Citation Largemouth

Freshwater saltwater Lakes, Ponds, Rivers, Streams talk about the ones that got away. Show us the ones that didn't.
BrokenolMarine
Ranch Foreman
United States of America

Miss Tina's Citation Largemouth

Post by BrokenolMarine » Mon Apr 03, 2017 9:47 am

Miss Tina is the fisherman of the family, I say this with no embarrassment, and no problem. She fishes with spinning gear more than the fly rod, although she has a beautiful long fly cast. Her fly cast is nearly silent, the mark of a good technique. When I teach fly casting, especially to men, I have Tina demonstrate her cast and then ask the men to close their eyes, and ask what they hear. "Nothing," they say. :?

Doesn't sound like an epic sword fight battle in a Three Musketeers Movie, does it? I'll tell them. You can't overcome a bad casting technique with more power. You can add casting power once you get your technique and add distance. If they understand that up front it's a lot easier for me to teach them... 8-)

This is Miss Tina's Citation Largemouth. Well, one of them. She has caught dozens, but this was her largest. Miss Martha. She has caught this Farm Pond bass more than once. In this picture, the bass was more than Twenty Five inches long, nearly Twenty Six. She was over Eleven Pounds. ALL our catches are catch, photo, and release. She was caught on a bottom fished plastic worm. Miss T is great at that, with the patience to deal with it. Me? I like the topwater explosions, it's like crack.

This pond sits in the middle of a 500 acre Black Angus cattle farm, and is accessed thru five gates, crossing one sometimes dry, sometimes not, creek. The pasture around the pond sometimes contains the herd. When they are there, they like to lick the windows on the truck. They leave behind green cow spit slime. Once, while fishing, I looked up from the kayak to see a cow scratching her butt on the push bumper / grille guard on the front of the Nissan Frontier. The rear wheels on the truck were nearly leaving the ground. I pulled out the keys and set off the alarm on the truck. Scared her away, but it wasn't a win / win situation. I had to clean cow ... ah, stuff out of the grille and off the bumper when I got home. :oops: :lol:

Seems the alarm Really scared the poor gal. :roll:
3 x
You can tell a lot about the character of a man...
by the way he treats those who can do nothing for him.

Les
Cowboy
South Africa

Re: Miss Tina's Citation Largemouth

Post by Les » Mon Apr 03, 2017 10:17 am

Once, while fishing, I looked up from the kayak to see a cow scratching her butt on the push bumper / grille guard on the front of the Nissan Frontier. The rear wheels on the truck were nearly leaving the ground. I pulled out the keys and set off the alarm on the truck. Scared her away, but it wasn't a win / win situation. I had to clean cow ... ah, stuff out of the grille and off the bumper when I got home. :oops: :lol:

Seems the alarm Really scared the poor gal. :roll:
That really made me smile, BM, and congratulations to Miss Tina for such a fine looking fish. Image
0 x

North Country Gal
Firearms Advisor
United States of America

Post by North Country Gal » Mon Apr 03, 2017 11:19 am

We sure don't grow largemouths that big, up here. Wow! Our little lake, though, has some excellent Largemouth fishing. An unweighted Senko, crawled along the bottom gets most of our big ones, but our shallow, weedy lake is also great for fly fishing a popper.

0 x

BrokenolMarine
Ranch Foreman
United States of America

Post by BrokenolMarine » Mon Apr 03, 2017 1:06 pm

Tina uses a weighted swimbait hook for the senko so the bait sits upright on the bottom. Then the tail waves and dances and she is patient, waiting to feel the bass mouth the worm, tease it, and finally start to slowly swim off with it.

I don't got time for all dat. :roll: I throw topwater flies, or ribbit frogs with a baitcaster looking for that topwater blow up. :lol: Whoo hoo... fisherman's crack.
0 x
You can tell a lot about the character of a man...
by the way he treats those who can do nothing for him.