Spring has sprung. Get out and shoot your Henry

Surf Fishing for Winter Striper!

Freshwater saltwater Lakes, Ponds, Rivers, Streams talk about the ones that got away. Show us the ones that didn't.
Gregorsway
Cowhand
United States of America

Surf Fishing for Winter Striper!

Post by Gregorsway » Mon Jan 30, 2017 1:23 pm

So, I was in my comfortable beach chair talking with my good surf fishing bud of many years. No work. No worries. Life is always good fishing in the wild ocean. We had grown weary of watching our rods staked out approximately 25 yards from our rest zone by our trucks. The weather forecast looked nasty for the next few days and we were fishing in front of the approaching storm for winter striper. The sun was setting on the cloud infested horizon. Another splendid day was closing the curtains.

Then my friend looked at me and asked me a silly question- "How do you like your new 12' surf rod and reel?" I said I liked it fine. He replied- "Well you better run get it- it is getting ready to take a swim in the ocean!" I gazed away from him to my new rod and watched my sand spike giving way in the Outer Banks beach sand towards the big drink. It was nearly horizontal and touching the ground when I sprinted just fast enough (not very fast) to catch the butt of my rod to save it from near disaster.

Whatever was on the other end had set the hook itself and was pulling away on my drag. Fifteen short minutes later and I had a 40 lb striper in my arms (see photo). This fish fed 12 men thrice on our week at the OBX. We baked it, fried it, and finished it up in a big fish chowder. I was happy to share. They were happy I shared too! That's my story and I'm sticking to it! 8-)
Attachments
Big striper.jpg
Last edited by Gregorsway on Mon Jan 30, 2017 2:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
10 x

Deadwood Dutch
Cowboy
United States of America

Re: Surf Fishing for Winter Striper!

Post by Deadwood Dutch » Mon Jan 30, 2017 2:06 pm

Great story and photo, thank you. I have been there a few times but never to fish. I have done most of my fishing in the Chesapeake Bay. We caught rock bass/stripers and blues, weakfish mostly. The blues were the 8 pound class. This was quite a few years ago when my friend had a Grady White. We also went out about 35 miles off of Chincoteague for tuna. That is a great fish that you have there.
1 x
U.S. Navy ⚓️ 1965-1969 - NRA Member - Henry H004, Henry H001

RetiredSeabee
Administrator
United States of America

Post by RetiredSeabee » Mon Jan 30, 2017 5:05 pm

That is a beauty, and you do have a wy with words. Well told "fish story".
I don't fish but sure do love helping a fisherman dispose of his catch.
1 x
Load on Sunday and Shoot all Week.......okay it's a Mare's Leg I will reload on Wednesday. ;)

North Country Gal
Firearms Advisor
United States of America

Post by North Country Gal » Mon Jan 30, 2017 7:38 pm

I'd be smiling, too. I have fished for Stripers in some reservoirs where they were stocked, but those were usually 10 pound fish, nothing close to that big. Some lakes also had Wipers - a cross between White Bass and Stripers. Both great fighting fish.

Plus one on what Seabee says about your writing. Thanks for sharing.
1 x

JEBar
Town Marshal / Deputy Admin
United States of America

Post by JEBar » Mon Jan 30, 2017 8:03 pm

love fishing and camping on the OBX .... sure don't seem to get down there often enough .... nice catch and good story to go with it
1 x

Gregorsway
Cowhand
United States of America

Post by Gregorsway » Mon Jan 30, 2017 9:13 pm

RetiredSeabee wrote:That is a beauty, and you do have a wy with words. Well told "fish story".
I don't fish but sure do love helping a fisherman dispose of his catch.
Your kind words are most appreciated, RetiredSeabee. I can close my eyes and play that fish out in my mind again and again. That's the beauty of fishing our memories.

Most fish tell their own story don't they?
0 x

ditchparrot
Cowhand
United States of America

Post by ditchparrot » Mon Jan 30, 2017 11:31 pm

I once saw a 58-pound striper in a chest freezer that was caught from the Feather River out here. I nearly had a heart attack when the guy lifted that lid.
1 x
Henry Big Boy Rifle .357
Henry Classic .22
Henry Lever-Action .410
Henry Big Boy Revolver .357

JEBar
Town Marshal / Deputy Admin
United States of America

Post by JEBar » Mon Jan 30, 2017 11:44 pm

that's one heck of a fish .... the world record striper was caught back in 2011, it weighed in at 81 lb 14 oz

http://www.onthewater.com/its-official- ... d-striper/
1 x

Bugs
Cowhand
United States of America

Post by Bugs » Tue Jan 31, 2017 6:23 am

Gregorsway that is a nice Striper. Some of the best times I had was surf fishing for bass in R.I.
1 x

starrider
Tenderfoot

Post by starrider » Sat Feb 04, 2017 8:54 am

Awesome fish and a great story, thanks for sharing.
1 x