Spring has sprung. Get out and shoot your Henry

Bought a fishing boat

Freshwater saltwater Lakes, Ponds, Rivers, Streams talk about the ones that got away. Show us the ones that didn't.
Hatchdog
Ranch Foreman
United States of America

Bought a fishing boat

Post by Hatchdog » Sun Apr 17, 2022 10:54 am

Last year we bought a fiberglass deck boat that we had a lot of fun with but it wasn’t very conducive to fishing. We decided we wanted to get more serious with fishing as we are surrounded by lakes and reservoirs, particularly what is called Lake Roosevelt which is the reservoir created by Grand Coulee Dam. This is a quality fishery for large trout, Kokanne, spiny ray species and Sturgeon. The Spokane Indian Tribe has net pens where they raise Triploid trout that don’t spawn so grow to huge sizes. I understand they are feeding them shrimp and the trout are very tasty.

We wanted a fish/ski boat that would mostly serve the two of us (and the dog of course) for fishing and cruising but would also work out to take the grandkids tubing or the family out boating for the day. It’s a pretty limited market out there for these types of boats but I found that Lowe, Lund and Crestliner made boats that fit the bill. Of course in these strange times of limited availability and increased demand the inventory out there is almost non-existent. Not a Lowe or a Crestliner to be found here locally and very limited looking at Washington State and North Idaho. We did find a Lund right across the border in Hayden Idaho that was perfect but of course being a Lund it was very expensive. So we decided to buy the Lund and sealed the deal last week. We take delivery on the 26th waiting for them to rig the boat with the accessories we added for fishing.

It’s a Lund Crossover 1775, just under 18’. Came with a Merc 115 Pro HS which is a higher reving (6300) motor that provides a better top end speed. Supposed to be a better hole shot too. Has the full canvas with sides which will be nice in colder weather. Seats seven but six will be more practical. We added two downriggers, a fish finder and an electric trolling motor. In the summer we will need to go deep 100-300 ft to find the fish so the downriggers will help with that.

I just sold the boat we bought last year and got all my money back other that the sales tax. Sold in one day and I had to pull my Craigslist add as I was getting lots of inquiry’s.

Here’s a picture of the boat while it was still on the dealers floor. I’ll post more when I get it home.

D051E9B2-4DE3-4571-B712-5AC25FD334F0.jpeg
D051E9B2-4DE3-4571-B712-5AC25FD334F0.jpeg (363.41 KiB) Viewed 2901 times

This is an advertisement from a local guide who fishes Lake Roosevelt where we plan to spend a good deal of time. It give an idea of the fish available. These are Kokanee and holy cow are they big. Even the little ones give a good fight.

5828B6A7-6BCF-443B-8FB4-AEB44609CD66.jpeg
5828B6A7-6BCF-443B-8FB4-AEB44609CD66.jpeg (211.81 KiB) Viewed 2901 times
4 x

BigAl52
Forum Ambassador
United States of America

Re: Bought a fishing boat

Post by BigAl52 » Sun Apr 17, 2022 11:32 am

Nice boat Hatch. When you are old like me those outboards make more sense. None of that winterization of V-8's stuck in a hole where you need to be double jointed
2 x
Don't worry about getting older and still doing stupid stuff. You'll do the stupid stuff as always, only much slower. Hold my beer and watch this.......

H001T .22LR
H001T .22LR MONUMENT VALLEY
H003T PUMP .22LR
BBS .41 MAG
SS .357
SIDE GATE 38-55

JEBar
Town Marshal / Deputy Admin
United States of America

Post by JEBar » Sun Apr 17, 2022 11:38 am

outstanding .... truly outstanding.... Lund makes several really good lines of boats .... if I ever buy another boat, a Lund would be my first choice
0 x

BrokenolMarine
Ranch Foreman
United States of America

Post by BrokenolMarine » Sun Apr 17, 2022 2:32 pm

We keep thinking about a boat, but the kayaks meet our needs for now. When the time comes, I'll be looking for a clear deck to allow for fly casting.
2 x
You can tell a lot about the character of a man...
by the way he treats those who can do nothing for him.

Ernie
Cowboy
United States of America

Post by Ernie » Sun Apr 17, 2022 3:22 pm

That's a beauty. Congratulations on a nice Lund.
0 x

Jdl447
Cowhand
United States of America

Post by Jdl447 » Sun Apr 17, 2022 4:39 pm

Very nice boat. Popular boats on Erie.
0 x
When a clown moves into a palace, he doesn't become a king. The palace becomes a circus.

Vaquero
Ranch Boss
United States of America

Post by Vaquero » Sun Apr 17, 2022 10:59 pm

Congrats on the new rig, looks like a nice one.
Should bring lots of enjoyment.
+1 on what Al said.

RP
0 x
Monte Walsh "You have No idea how little I care". :lol:

Ain't No Apologies for My Temperament :shock:
Si vis pacem, para bellum
H001, H006, H012

BrokenolMarine
Ranch Foreman
United States of America

Post by BrokenolMarine » Mon Apr 18, 2022 12:18 am

Sorry, I too think it looks great. When we were younger we looked at ski boats we could fish from. :D These days we'd be looking at more of a flats style boat to stand an cast from. :lol:
1 x
You can tell a lot about the character of a man...
by the way he treats those who can do nothing for him.

BigAl52
Forum Ambassador
United States of America

Post by BigAl52 » Mon Apr 18, 2022 8:55 am

Hey Hatch. Whats the warranty like on the Merc?
0 x
Don't worry about getting older and still doing stupid stuff. You'll do the stupid stuff as always, only much slower. Hold my beer and watch this.......

H001T .22LR
H001T .22LR MONUMENT VALLEY
H003T PUMP .22LR
BBS .41 MAG
SS .357
SIDE GATE 38-55

Hatchdog
Ranch Foreman
United States of America

Post by Hatchdog » Mon Apr 18, 2022 10:27 am

BigAl52 wrote:
Sun Apr 17, 2022 11:32 am
Nice boat Hatch. When you are old like me those outboards make more sense. None of that winterization of V-8's stuck in a hole where you need to be double jointed
Hey Al, I hear you. Last fall when I needed to winterize my IO I took it to the shop and paid $350 to have it done. I used to do my own but I decided I’m too old to crawl around in a bilge servicing a motor and not being able to even see what I’m doing. I’m looking forward to having an outboard (first one other than little ones) and being able to service it while standing on the ground or at least sitting on a low stool to drain the lower unit. The Merc has a three year warranty and the boat has a lifetime hull warranty. Of course the dealer wanted to sell us an extended but we declined.

BOM, yeah, the boat came with a ski pylon which will be great to pull the grandkids around but I have no desire to get on the other end of the tow rope. :lol: This boat has fishing platforms on both the front and the rear and the seats can be moved to these locations for casting. I think it’s going to be pretty stable for standing due to the hull design but certainly not as stable as a flat bottom. I expect we will do mostly trolling on the Columbia but we do have five days reserved at what is called Banks Lake. This is a huge reservoir created by pumping water from just behind Grand Coulee Dam and the water is used for irrigation. This lake has a big population of bass, crappie, perch and other spiny ray’s so we’ll probably do some shoreline casting there.
0 x