Spring has sprung. Get out and shoot your Henry

Fly tying...

Freshwater saltwater Lakes, Ponds, Rivers, Streams talk about the ones that got away. Show us the ones that didn't.
Kissmybrass
Cattle Driver
United States of America

Fly tying...

Post by Kissmybrass » Sun Feb 20, 2022 2:38 pm

My kid's getting into it!
IMG_4587.jpeg
IMG_4587.jpeg (238.46 KiB) Viewed 2890 times
6 x
H010G 45-70
H006M Big Boy Classic .357
Sig 320 XCompact
S&W 686 Plus 5"
Rem 870 Tac

BrokenolMarine
Ranch Foreman
United States of America

Re: Fly tying...

Post by BrokenolMarine » Sun Feb 20, 2022 7:31 pm

It's an addiction. :D Tina and I both have tied for years, and taught for Healing Waters. We also taught casting, rod building, and mentored on the trips for the vets. Miss Tina is a gifted tyer, especially with realistics. Her dragonflies were on display at Orvis for a couple years. Tying is a great way to pass the time, quiet, and relaxing. Keep in mind that Michael's and Hobby Lobby are excellent locations for tying supplies. :D Feel free to pm for advice.

We can't wait to do some fly fishing here in our new home, once spring rolls in. The kayaks are waiting, and we are told there are great locations all around.

Btw... Nice looking wooly bugger on the kids vice! :P
Last edited by BrokenolMarine on Mon Feb 21, 2022 12:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
1 x
You can tell a lot about the character of a man...
by the way he treats those who can do nothing for him.

Hatchdog
Ranch Foreman
United States of America

Post by Hatchdog » Mon Feb 21, 2022 10:18 am

That’s a pretty intense look on his face. A sure sign of “getting into it”. Thumbs up!
1 x

MuddyWaters62
Cowhand
United States of America

Post by MuddyWaters62 » Mon Feb 21, 2022 3:46 pm

My Dad's Dad used a bamboo rod and took all kinds of fish mostly on what he called a OO Black Gnat. He would go to the chicken coop and gather black feathers and trimmed them to what size of fish he wanted to catch. I wished I was a little bit older and learned more. I was just a tow headed kid at that time. He was born in Indian Territory in 1898. He died when I was 10 years old.

I do hope that your kid really "gets it". It is a great past time. I have tied for a long time. Also, got into Native bow hunting using my own feathers out of my own coop.

Muddy Waters69
1 x

Steve51
Cattle Driver
United States of America

Post by Steve51 » Mon Feb 21, 2022 4:33 pm

Good for him!
Better than being on the couch pecking on a video game.

It gets even better when you catch fish on flies you have tied.
1 x
H001, H001L, H004, H001TM, H006, H010, H012M, H012GR
NRA Member, GOA Member, ISRA Member, ILCCW

Kissmybrass
Cattle Driver
United States of America

Post by Kissmybrass » Wed Feb 23, 2022 2:06 pm

BrokenolMarine wrote:
Sun Feb 20, 2022 7:31 pm
It's an addiction. :D Tina and I both have tied for years, and taught for Healing Waters. We also taught casting, rod building, and mentored on the trips for the vets. Miss Tina is a gifted tyer, especially with realistics. Her dragonflies were on display at Orvis for a couple years. Tying is a great way to pass the time, quiet, and relaxing. Keep in mind that Michael's and Hobby Lobby are excellent locations for tying supplies. :D Feel free to pm for advice.

We can't wait to do some fly fishing here in our new home, once spring rolls in. The kayaks are waiting, and we are told there are great locations all around.

That is so awesome! any pics of the dragon flies?
0 x
H010G 45-70
H006M Big Boy Classic .357
Sig 320 XCompact
S&W 686 Plus 5"
Rem 870 Tac

BrokenolMarine
Ranch Foreman
United States of America

Post by BrokenolMarine » Wed Feb 23, 2022 2:57 pm

Kissmybrass wrote:
Wed Feb 23, 2022 2:06 pm
BrokenolMarine wrote:
Sun Feb 20, 2022 7:31 pm

That is so awesome! any pics of the dragon flies?
The first picture I posted on line, I talked about how Tina had found a dead dragon fly on the window sill and attempted to copy it by tying it in bright silk threads. This is the pic I posted. Everyone said I should post the picture of the dragon fly she tied. :) (If you look really close, you can see the hook)

tina's dragon fly.jpg
tina's dragon fly.jpg (84.75 KiB) Viewed 2819 times

A friend of ours ran the Richmond Orvis Fly Fishing Department and saw the post, he asked if Tina could display the Dragonfly in the fly tying section for a couple weeks for other tyers to see, inspiration, so to speak. "Sure, let me put together a display."

dragon at orvis mod.jpg
dragon at orvis mod.jpg (132.32 KiB) Viewed 2819 times
silk dragon display 005  mod.jpg
silk dragon display 005 mod.jpg (129.88 KiB) Viewed 2819 times

If you looked closely in the display, you would see a couple of her crickets as well, but I don't think they are visible from this angle. They work REALLY well for panfish. Crappie really crush them. :D

tinas cricket compressed.jpg
tinas cricket compressed.jpg (68.34 KiB) Viewed 2819 times

The two weeks turned into two months, then a year, then two. We finally drove down and picked up the display right before Christmas one year, because our friend had been promoted and left, and one of the gals working in the fly fishing department kept calling because a customer kept coming in offering on the display wanting to buy it for his wife. Realistic flies aren't cheap, they bring big money. His offer for the entire display kept getting higher and higher, and the "Not for Sale" was not dissuading him in the least. He had plenty of money, what he didn't have is what he wanted. THAT display for his wife for Christmas. He was insistent that everything had it's price. We brought it home before one of the clerks sold it to him and never put it back on display. We still have it in the tying room here.

Tina had taught a couple classes on her dragon fly at Orvis as a guest instructor, and realized why they loved having the display there. It was selling LOADS of materials. The tail was silk, and takes a LONG time itself, to wrap. ;) Several of her creations are killer. Her Hopper and Pond Mouse are also amazing. Custom cutters were made for the 4" hopper, and sold by the company who cut them for her. My huge bass caught on the hopper was used as an ad on their website to promote the cutter.
2 x
You can tell a lot about the character of a man...
by the way he treats those who can do nothing for him.