Spring has sprung. Get out and shoot your Henry

Canoe fishing and camping!

Freshwater saltwater Lakes, Ponds, Rivers, Streams talk about the ones that got away. Show us the ones that didn't.
Squatch
Cattle Driver
United States of America

Canoe fishing and camping!

Post by Squatch » Sat Aug 06, 2016 3:30 pm

I have a good friend. We have been fishing and camping, and boating together for a very long time. Don't see him as much lately as he moved to Vermont when he retired. A couple of weeks ago he was down here and we went fishing.

We have a regular spot on a gravel bar beach on an island in the Potomac river. Not far from DC. It's a ratty little beach and I wouldn't want to sleep on the ground there. But the location is perfect for shuttling gear in my bass boat or the canoes for an overnighter. It's very close to the ramp. Mid week you have the river to yourself and it's a nice place to sit and chill.

A couple of weeks ago the water was way low. Too low for my outboard jet! So we used our solo canoes. This was late July and though it had cooled down a little it was hotter than sin for this trip.

A view upriver from camp.

Did I mention it was hot and there is no shade where we camp. We've been camping in these "Tent-Cots" for a few years now. Perfect for this purpose.

1st day was set up camp and fish around the area until evening. Then build a fire, eat, and enjoy and adult beverage.

2nd day. Paddle to the ramp and shuttle upstream about 15 miles away and float back to camp while fishing.

Rough life!

Beach stop for wade fishing and a stretch.

It was hot and I love my Umbrella! I use them on all my boats.

End of the day.

My stubby little solo in camp.

Final morning near daybreak.

Last day we loaded all the camp crap in the boats and headed downstream to my waiting truck a few miles away.
4 x
Any load data discussed by me is for entertainment purposes only. I can not condone or be responsible for it's use by others.

CT_Shooter
Administrator emeritus
United States of America

Re: Canoe fishing and camping!

Post by CT_Shooter » Sat Aug 06, 2016 4:41 pm

Totally enjoyed it. Thanks.
0 x
H006M Big Boy Brass .357 - H001 Classic .22LR - Uberti / Taylors & Co. SmokeWagon .357 5.5" - Uberti / Taylors & Co. RanchHand .22LR 5.5"

daytime dave
Administrator / Owner
United States of America

Post by daytime dave » Sat Aug 06, 2016 6:11 pm

Wow, that was a nice vacation for me in only the five minutes it took to read.

Thank you.
0 x
Some days I'm Andy, most days I'm Barney........
Eaglescout, NRA Life Endowment member, BCCI Life Member

PT7
Drover
United States of America

Post by PT7 » Sat Aug 06, 2016 7:19 pm

Ah.....rested & quieted now.
0 x

~Пока~

Cofisher
Drover
United States of America

Post by Cofisher » Sat Aug 06, 2016 7:29 pm

I love your solo canoe! Great way to get out and see the beauty around us. And the umbrella adds a level of comfort I envy. Glad you enjoyed it. And best with a buddy that thinks like you do. Thanks!
0 x
Remember, it's not how many guns you have. It's how many bullets you have.

RetiredSeabee
Administrator
United States of America

Post by RetiredSeabee » Sat Aug 06, 2016 7:40 pm

Thanks for taking us along.
0 x
Load on Sunday and Shoot all Week.......okay it's a Mare's Leg I will reload on Wednesday. ;)

Deadwood Dutch
Cowboy
United States of America

Post by Deadwood Dutch » Sat Aug 06, 2016 7:58 pm

Looks like a lot of fun and a nice camp site. The canoe is the way to go.
0 x
U.S. Navy ⚓️ 1965-1969 - NRA Member - Henry H004, Henry H001

JEBar
Town Marshal / Deputy Admin
United States of America

Post by JEBar » Sat Aug 06, 2016 9:20 pm

really enjoyed the pictures and comments .... brings to mind a movie line, "you're a better man than I am Gunga Din" .... when it comes to boats and things with wheels, if I can't turn a key or pull a rope and hear a rumble, it ain't for me ....
0 x

Squatch
Cattle Driver
United States of America

Post by Squatch » Sat Aug 06, 2016 9:34 pm

Thanks folks. It was a good trip. I think this was actually the 1st time canoe camping in this spot for us. Normally the canoes get used in the mountain part of the river. We've camped on this island several times over many years now. Normally it's out of my jet bassboat. Here is a pic of it on the site from a previous trip.

Some may recall from the old forum. I sunk this boat about the same time last year in knee deep water just a little downstream from this site. The hull has since been repaired and other work taken care of. I wanted to use it for this trip but the river was too low. We had some rain earlier this week and I finally got the boat back out for a shakedown cruise a couple of evenings ago in the same stretch of river. All is good!:D

Hole in boat.

Repair.

Boats paddle, sail, or power. I like them all.
1 x
Any load data discussed by me is for entertainment purposes only. I can not condone or be responsible for it's use by others.

JEBar
Town Marshal / Deputy Admin
United States of America

Post by JEBar » Sat Aug 06, 2016 9:47 pm

now you are talking my type of river fishing ... :D ... I do remember you posting about it on the other forum, I'm glad you got her fixed
0 x