Spring has sprung. Get out and shoot your Henry

Range Report: CZ and Henry at 25 & 50 yards

Put your range reports for all brands and types of firearms and other items.
Sir Henry
Administrator / Owner
United States of America

Range Report: CZ and Henry at 25 & 50 yards

Post by Sir Henry » Thu May 26, 2016 5:30 pm

I never did make it hiking. The gate was locked when I drove by the range which meant there was no one there. I setup quickly and began shooting kneeling at 25 yards. The CZ did better than the Henry but both were capable of a lot better. These were about the same as yesterday. Yawn.

I moved over to the rifle side so I could shoot further out. This is an hour later and I'm still the only one at the range. That latte sure was good.

I'm the first one to admit my offhand and kneeling suck but I thought I did a good job with the Henry benchrest. It produced the best group of the day. But I was getting tired by the time I got to the CZ. These are all ten round targets and its hard to keep up the concentration for more than an hour. So while I put the best effort into the Henry the CZ target suffered.

I wondered what they would do at 100 yards so I set up a fresh target further out. I had the CZ handy from the 50 yard target and shot it first. But I wanted to keep that same Henry top 3, CZ bottom 2 pattern going so I shot the bottom left target first. I only shot ten rounds into it at first so don't know my group size. But for some reason I shot the top right target next instead of the lower one. I had eight rounds into what turned out to be a 1.127" group till I made the ninth shot and the group grew to 2.534". Pissed me off and I shot the tenth round into the berm. The center target is 2.029" and the bottom right is 1.744". But I shot ten more into the bottom left forgetting it was my first target. Ended up being twenty rounds making a 2.911" group.

These are the rifles. A Henry SGC with a youth stock and a vintage J.C. Higgins 4x scope from the 60's. It looks like the second generation Weaver J4. The J4 scope from the day before was from the mid 50's. The CZ 452-2E American is wearing a Nikon P-22.
2 x
Hi, my name is Gene and I'm a Henryholic from Wisconsin.

Range Reporter: Henry Repeater

White Squirrel
Cattle Driver
United States of America

Re: Range Report: CZ and Henry at 25 & 50 yards

Post by White Squirrel » Thu May 26, 2016 6:18 pm

So, no shots with the SGC at 100 yards.

Sounds like you were getting a little tired by that time.

Still, time at the range is better than a day at work, a RAINY day at work, like here.
0 x
Henry Frontier .22LR

bandit1250
Cowboy
United States of America

Post by bandit1250 » Thu May 26, 2016 7:05 pm

That SGC is a shooter for sure. The groups at 50 are very good especially with the small tube scope. Is the SGC the model that comes with the Skinner peep on it? Speaking of small tube scopes I took the C4 off my Frontier because I couldn't get it back far enough for it to be comfortable to shoot for my wife or me. Probably sell the little scope. I do like how well they look on the Henry's.
0 x

Sir Henry
Administrator / Owner
United States of America

Post by Sir Henry » Thu May 26, 2016 8:11 pm

Yes the SGC is the one that came with a skinner receiver peep. I switched receiver covers and that cover is now on a Mare's Leg. The C4 is great because it has that slight front bell which gathers more light. I have a C4 and a C6 and love them both.
1 x

Sir Henry
Administrator / Owner
United States of America

Post by Sir Henry » Thu May 26, 2016 8:18 pm

White Squirrel wrote:So, no shots with the SGC at 100 yards.

Sounds like you were getting a little tired by that time.

Still, time at the range is better than a day at work, a RAINY day at work, like here.
No, I was thinking about it but didn't. It was the perfect day for it. Not even a hint of a breeze or a leaf fluttering.
0 x

RetiredSeabee
Administrator
United States of America

Post by RetiredSeabee » Thu May 26, 2016 8:31 pm

You definitely have the Henry dialed in. And the CZ just caught the bad luck of being at the end of a long session. But honestly at 100 yards you done good.
0 x
Load on Sunday and Shoot all Week.......okay it's a Mare's Leg I will reload on Wednesday. ;)

RanchRoper
Forum Ambassador
Canada

Post by RanchRoper » Thu May 26, 2016 8:42 pm

Good shooting. Looks like fun for sure.
0 x
1860 Colt SA Richards Conversion Revolver .45C
1860 Henry .45C
1885 High Wall .45C
1820-1840 Frontier Percussion .50
1790-1820 Frontier Flintlock .50

Ohkínohkomit - Shoot skillfully

Sir Henry
Administrator / Owner
United States of America

Post by Sir Henry » Thu May 26, 2016 10:04 pm

RetiredSeabee wrote:You definitely have the Henry dialed in. And the CZ just caught the bad luck of being at the end of a long session. But honestly at 100 yards you done good.
You know its just now sinking in that I did really good with it on the bench. The scope forces you to get centered and at the exact eye relief. Its also considered a long distance scope and the parallax is set at 150 yards. When I was shooting it at 25 yards the target wasn't in the sharpest focus. The Nikon on the other hand is just the opposite. But I think easy made me lazy on it.

Beyond the basic skills of shooting it takes a lot of energy and concentration to shoot good and especially with the vintage Weaver scopes.
2 x

PT7
Drover
United States of America

Post by PT7 » Thu May 26, 2016 10:37 pm

SH, I'm sure you noticed what RSb said. That distance is a significant consideration. Sending a .22LR bullet out to 100 yards does take some good skill. Your targets show you have that. ;)

Nice pictures of your rifle pair.

Glad the latte tasted good...always a plus! :lol:

Why I like reading/seeing your Range Reports (and other Folk who do bench shooting), is that our different shooting styles fascinate me. I can barely hit anything using a bench rest, while off hand I do fine. Next chance I have to get to the range, I really look forward to some off hand shooting with my .357 Big Boy using the Weaver scope. That is, if the rains ever go away!
Sir Henry wrote:
RetiredSeabee wrote:You definitely have the Henry dialed in. And the CZ just caught the bad luck of being at the end of a long session. But honestly at 100 yards you done good.
You know its just now sinking in that I did really good with it on the bench. The scope forces you to get centered and at the exact eye relief. Its also considered a long distance scope and the parallax is set at 150 yards. When I was shooting it at 25 yards the target wasn't in the sharpest focus. The Nikon on the other hand is just the opposite. But I think easy made me lazy on it.

Beyond the basic skills of shooting it takes a lot of energy and concentration to shoot good and especially with the vintage Weaver scopes.
0 x

~Пока~