Spring has sprung. Get out and shoot your Henry

Range Report: kneeling at 25 yards

Put your range reports for all brands and types of firearms and other items.
Sir Henry
Administrator / Owner
United States of America

Range Report: kneeling at 25 yards

Post by Sir Henry » Wed May 25, 2016 5:20 pm

I'm a day late (and a dollar short) getting to the range but it was worth it. I didn't shoot all that great but had a ton of fun. Two others at the range had Henry rimfires and we chatted. Everyone liked mine.

I shot three Henrys but had to sight in this rifle. After sighting it in I didn't go back to the others. The vintage scope on this rifle is from the 50's and the crosshairs don't stay in the middle. Depending on the rifle they can be off to the side or high or low. It bothered me they were so far from the center that I kept trying it on different rifles. So it was a pleasure to find that when this rifle was zeroed the hairs were in the middle. I'm keeping it on this rifle.

The receiver cover is one that I stripped the paint and sprayed it with the NATO finish that is on M16 magazines. It looks very sharp and is wearing quite well.

But to the point of the post I was shooting kneeling at 25 yards shooting Norma TAC-22. This picture was taken two days ago and shows my basic kneeling position.

I was shooting ten round groups and the top three were just over an inch. That lower left group was .890" without the one "flyer". The bottom right target has 20 rounds and the group was 1.889" I load ten rounds at a time and on the last target the group wasn't all that great. But I didn't want to put a new target up and I didn't want to leave so I shot another ten rounds. That one large hole was from the second group of ten and is .542". I think the rifle could get half inch groups easy at 25 yards.
2 x
Hi, my name is Gene and I'm a Henryholic from Wisconsin.

Range Reporter: Henry Repeater

bandit1250
Cowboy
United States of America

Re: Range Report: kneeling at 25 yards

Post by bandit1250 » Wed May 25, 2016 5:29 pm

Looks fine to me from the kneeling position. I need to do more off hand and kneeling position shooting. I guess I am a bench shooter at heart. How do you do with your accuracy kneeling and off hand with your peep sighted levers? Nice that you had some trigger time today.
0 x

RanchRoper
Forum Ambassador
Canada

Post by RanchRoper » Wed May 25, 2016 5:35 pm

Looks like an effective shooting position. Nice job.
0 x
1860 Colt SA Richards Conversion Revolver .45C
1860 Henry .45C
1885 High Wall .45C
1820-1840 Frontier Percussion .50
1790-1820 Frontier Flintlock .50

Ohkínohkomit - Shoot skillfully

Sir Henry
Administrator / Owner
United States of America

Post by Sir Henry » Wed May 25, 2016 5:35 pm

bandit1250 wrote:Looks fine to me from the kneeling position. I need to do more off hand and kneeling position shooting. I guess I am a bench shooter at heart. How do you do with your accuracy kneeling and off hand with your peep sighted levers? Nice that you had some trigger time today.
My groups from the Classic with peeps shot about the same as did my Mare's Leg with peeps. I saw your CZ report and didn't do nearly as good as you did.
1 x

RetiredSeabee
Administrator
United States of America

Post by RetiredSeabee » Wed May 25, 2016 8:40 pm

Looks good sir, I can't spend much time on a knee. So by my wobbly standards you are shooting very well.
2 x
Load on Sunday and Shoot all Week.......okay it's a Mare's Leg I will reload on Wednesday. ;)

bandit1250
Cowboy
United States of America

Post by bandit1250 » Wed May 25, 2016 8:46 pm

Sir Henry wrote:
bandit1250 wrote:Looks fine to me from the kneeling position. I need to do more off hand and kneeling position shooting. I guess I am a bench shooter at heart. How do you do with your accuracy kneeling and off hand with your peep sighted levers? Nice that you had some trigger time today.
My groups from the Classic with peeps shot about the same as did my Mare's Leg with peeps. I saw your CZ report and didn't do nearly as good as you did.
If I ever got to where I could hit the empty 22 cartridge heads from the kneeling position I would maybe quit shooting because I would think I wouldn't be able to improve any more. :)
0 x

Sir Henry
Administrator / Owner
United States of America

Post by Sir Henry » Wed May 25, 2016 9:28 pm

But you were shooting a CZ. :D I'm only planning a half day hike tomorrow and its near the range. I have a CZ and Henry loaded up and am going to compare them side by side kneeling. So there is a 50% chance I'll make another report tomorrow.
1 x

PT7
Drover
United States of America

Post by PT7 » Wed May 25, 2016 11:23 pm

Great job with those very tight groups, Sir Henry. I'd say the kneeling stance works quite well. Looking forward to trying it.

When you said "I think the rifle could get half inch groups easy at 25 yards," I always thought it was the shooter that "gets the groups," and not the rifle?!? :lol:

Maybe I've been confused. :?

Anyone, I think your shooting is fine....don't know about the rifle doing it that well... ;)
Thanks for the report, and always glad to hear when anyone has a great range time.
Sir Henry wrote:I'm a day late (and a dollar short) getting to the range but it was worth it. I didn't shoot all that great but had a ton of fun. Two others at the range had Henry rimfires and we chatted. Everyone liked mine.

I was shooting ten round groups and the top three were just over an inch. That lower left group was .890" without the one "flyer". The bottom right target has 20 rounds and the group was 1.889" I load ten rounds at a time and on the last target the group wasn't all that great. But I didn't want to put a new target up and I didn't want to leave so I shot another ten rounds. That one large hole was from the second group of ten and is .542". I think the rifle could get half inch groups easy at 25 yards.
1 x

~Пока~

Sir Henry
Administrator / Owner
United States of America

Post by Sir Henry » Thu May 26, 2016 12:46 am

Thanks PT7 but it was just so-so shooting. I can usually get fantastic three shot groups and then most often start to loose concentration and by the tenth shot I'm all over the place. The last ten rounds I shot confirmed the rifle is capable of small groups and since I was shooting it confirms I can too. My biggest problem is doing it over and over again.
0 x

White Squirrel
Cattle Driver
United States of America

Post by White Squirrel » Thu May 26, 2016 2:37 pm

As you point out, SH, in shooting just like almost everything else in life, consistency is the key.

If I could just duplicate every trigger pull like I did the one that hit the bullseye.....!!

That is why we keep going back to the range and keep shooting, to try to find that magical "perfect" point. And we find it just often enough to be encouraged to keep trying instead of giving up.
0 x
Henry Frontier .22LR