Spring has sprung. Get out and shoot your Henry

Catapult report

Put your range reports for all brands and types of firearms and other items.
tx gunrunner
Firearms Advisor
United States of America

Catapult report

Post by tx gunrunner » Mon May 23, 2016 7:37 am

I guess if I'm going to shoot a catapult I should call it by it's correct name which is Catapult not slingshot . A slingshot is pouch on a rope which is the thing David killed the Giant in the BIBLE ........https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=srao1ag5S5Y

Now to the range report . I only shoot the bottle now no paper target . I can watch the ball bearing in flight and with the paper I can't see it . So no paper to show you . The 3/8 bearing do a number on those bottles . I left a bottle on the floor to show you it torn the top off the bottle . I pickup all the bearing up on the floor with a telescoping magnet , it is easier then a catch box . There is a big difference in catapults . The one in the pic by it self is super accurate with the wide opening . I can hit the bottle 50% of the time and the misses are only a inch away . The one with the small opening is not forgiving and I can only hit the bottle 10% of the time and the misses are over 4" away from bottle :( . I'm going to get a golf ball and drill it and put on a string since I will need a smaller target since my skill level is getting better and a the bottle are not holding . If anyone has any ideas let me know .
Attachments
IMG_0004.JPG
IMG_0003 (1).JPG
IMG_0010.JPG
0 x

Sir Henry
Administrator / Owner
United States of America

Re: Catapult report

Post by Sir Henry » Mon May 23, 2016 10:34 am

You are right about what is really a sling shot. As kids we had a racial term for what is really a catapult. I received my replacement bands in the mail on Friday and haven't tied it on yet as I'm not sure how.

That is great shooting.
0 x
Hi, my name is Gene and I'm a Henryholic from Wisconsin.

Range Reporter: Henry Repeater

JEBar
Town Marshal / Deputy Admin
United States of America

Post by JEBar » Mon May 23, 2016 11:03 am

the handles on your "catapult's" are so different that I'd sure appreciate a picture showing how you hold it to shoot it
0 x

tx gunrunner
Firearms Advisor
United States of America

Post by tx gunrunner » Mon May 23, 2016 12:22 pm

Here is a couple pic on how to hold one . .... Plus a update on my new golf ball target . The long cord let the golf ball hit the back stop like the ball bearing to soften the blow and then it is attached to weight on the floor to stop the swing action for the next shot .
Attachments
IMG_0001.JPG
IMG_0007.JPG
IMG_0008.JPG
1 x

JEBar
United States of America

Post by JEBar » Mon May 23, 2016 12:48 pm

thanks for the pictures .... the only ones I've ever seen have the standard "Y" shape ....
0 x

tx gunrunner
Firearms Advisor
United States of America

Post by tx gunrunner » Mon May 23, 2016 4:27 pm

JEBar wrote:thanks for the pictures .... the only ones I've ever seen have the standard "Y" shape ....
I looked at a ton of video from British matches [ below ] and Gangster style TTF [ Thur The Fork ] use the choke hold are winning the matches . OTT [ over the top ] pickle forks are the ones your talking about . They takes lots of skill to master . That is why I when with TTF and made out of plywood . 3/4" Plywood is super strong and cheap . I will make a palm swell next like the PPMG Gamekeeper make but in wood .

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VANrKlvi8Mo

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hKIBsZL9P4k
Last edited by tx gunrunner on Mon May 23, 2016 7:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
0 x

JEBar
United States of America

Post by JEBar » Mon May 23, 2016 5:08 pm

interesting .... I didn't know such things existed .... thanks for the info
0 x

Sir Henry
Administrator / Owner
United States of America

Post by Sir Henry » Tue May 24, 2016 11:56 am

JEBar wrote:thanks for the pictures .... the only ones I've ever seen have the standard "Y" shape ....
Same here.
0 x

tx gunrunner
Firearms Advisor
United States of America

Post by tx gunrunner » Wed May 25, 2016 5:27 am

I'm working on a plywood PPMG right now . I like the alum one in video but I want mine made out of plywood . It will give it a unique look . I don't think it will shoot any better then my #2 catapult I made but it will look super cool . This one below shoots like a house on fire below in pic and my other one 3 I have don't hold a candle to this one . The green one I will give it to a family with a teen or sell it to a hunter . The black one I use to launch fire cracker up to 25 yds at dogs and cats that leave the mark on my car cover . I keep it at the front door with lighter and fire cracker . ;)
Attachments
IMG_0003 (1).JPG
IMG_0004 (1).JPG
2 x

Sir Henry
Administrator / Owner
United States of America

Post by Sir Henry » Wed May 25, 2016 9:49 am

I love shooting them while hiking. The only thing I don't like is I can't recover the bearings and they are heavy to pack around.
0 x