Spring has sprung. Get out and shoot your Henry

Range Report2 __ BBB and Me.

Put your range reports for all brands and types of firearms and other items.
PT7
Drover
United States of America

Range Report2 __ BBB and Me.

Post by PT7 » Sat Apr 23, 2016 7:12 pm

I could not pass up the perfect weather today, and spent an hour at Parma Woods shooting range (MO Dept of Conservation) with my .357 Big Boy (H006M). Temp peaked at 81 degrees, sunny blue sky, and mild wind.

I shot 70 rounds of .357 magnums, off hand, at both 25 yards and 50 yards. My BBB has a barrel-mounted Skinner rear peep sight and bead front sight.

Started with Target One at 25 yards, and I used 20 rounds of PerFecta 158gr FMJ. 18/20 POIs in target, two are very low and just caught white foam core backing. I’ve regularly been shooting low, so not totally unexpected. (Ignore the other red dots -- I used those to cover up previous hits. And the holes in the white backing above target are all from previous outings, too).
Target One
Target One
Next two side-by-side targets are at 50 yards. Shot 15 rounds at each target using Freedom Munitions 158gr XTP. Target Two (with rectangular bullseye) took 12/15 in target, again 3 were low at 1” off and 3” off. Target Three with round bullseye is where I experienced some difficulty shooting. OK, here I’m shooting only rounds 35-50. But I could barely hold that heavy 20” octagon barrel up and steady for these rounds!! It felt like the barrel almost doubled in weight! I know it’s a solid and heavier barrel, but hasn’t “weighed me down” to this extent. So 6/15 POIs in target, 4 hits in cardboard, and the other five I’m certain I shot low, off target somewhere down range –> bye-bye to those five. I wasn’t discouraged at all, just surprised how quickly the rifle felt so heavy! :o
Target Two & Target Three
Target Two & Target Three
For Target Four, I debated on whether to shoot or not. I simply wondered how heavy the rifle would be to handle. Well, I went for it and shot my last 20 rounds, again using the Freedom Munitions 158g XTP. I left the range quite satisfied with the entire day, as this “last ditch effort” :lol: was fun with good results! 17/20 POIs in target, including the two at top of target! That was strange to see because of my normal low shooting. Finally, three rounds hit off target, but stayed low on the cardboard. So I was content with all 20 rounds showing as a visible record – for a change! ;)
Target Four
Target Four
Best part of this beautiful day was how much fun it was to shoot the Henry. :D
Enjoy your next range outing, too!
1 x

~Пока~

RanchRoper
Forum Ambassador
Canada

Re: Range Report2 __ BBB and Me.

Post by RanchRoper » Sat Apr 23, 2016 7:19 pm

Nice! Target 4 looks pretty darn good to me!
1 x
1860 Colt SA Richards Conversion Revolver .45C
1860 Henry .45C
1885 High Wall .45C
1820-1840 Frontier Percussion .50
1790-1820 Frontier Flintlock .50

Ohkínohkomit - Shoot skillfully

PT7
Drover
United States of America

Post by PT7 » Sat Apr 23, 2016 7:43 pm

Appreciate that, RanchRoper! I thought so, too. Glad I didn't "quit" shooting after Target Three! :D

{I forgot to mention that all targets I used today were 8". Largest I have right now, and I wanted to stay consistent with the target size.}
0 x

~Пока~

Sir Henry
Administrator / Owner
United States of America

Post by Sir Henry » Sat Apr 23, 2016 8:09 pm

Nice offhand shooting. You would have brought down any big game with it.
0 x
Hi, my name is Gene and I'm a Henryholic from Wisconsin.

Range Reporter: Henry Repeater

RetiredSeabee
Administrator
United States of America

Post by RetiredSeabee » Sat Apr 23, 2016 9:00 pm

It is amazing how heavy a rifle is when you are trying hard to shoot better. And how much lighter it can seem when you just let that all go and shoot.
Glad you hung in there for the last target and just let it fly.
I tend to get some of my best targets when I forget about trying and shoot by instinct.
0 x
Load on Sunday and Shoot all Week.......okay it's a Mare's Leg I will reload on Wednesday. ;)

PT7
Drover
United States of America

Post by PT7 » Sat Apr 23, 2016 10:00 pm

Thanks, Sir Henry! A harvest of one deer next fall hunting season would be just fine! :)

And thanks also to you Seabee, I think you got it on the head. I actually ramped up my lever-action speed a little on those final rounds, and it turned out A-OK!
0 x

~Пока~

daytime dave
Administrator / Owner
United States of America

Post by daytime dave » Sun Apr 24, 2016 8:19 am

Nice shooting. Those Big Boys get heavy after a while.

RSb is right, once you get the fundamentals, it becomes instinctive.
0 x
Some days I'm Andy, most days I'm Barney........
Eaglescout, NRA Life Endowment member, BCCI Life Member

CT_Shooter
Administrator emeritus
United States of America

Post by CT_Shooter » Sun Apr 24, 2016 9:18 am

Your range reports are always fun to read, though I'm certain they're not as fun as the time spent shooting to create them. Thanks for the descriptions and the pictures. I know oh so well that the Brass Big Boy gives your forearm a serious workout! Nice shooting, PT7.
0 x
H006M Big Boy Brass .357 - H001 Classic .22LR - Uberti / Taylors & Co. SmokeWagon .357 5.5" - Uberti / Taylors & Co. RanchHand .22LR 5.5"

RanchRoper
Forum Ambassador
Canada

Post by RanchRoper » Sun Apr 24, 2016 9:27 am

I've heard that women find Popeye the Sailor arms attractive.
1 x
1860 Colt SA Richards Conversion Revolver .45C
1860 Henry .45C
1885 High Wall .45C
1820-1840 Frontier Percussion .50
1790-1820 Frontier Flintlock .50

Ohkínohkomit - Shoot skillfully

PT7
Drover
United States of America

Post by PT7 » Sun Apr 24, 2016 10:23 am

True, RR. That rumor about The Sailor Man's arms has floated around at times. ;)

CT_Shooter has the same BBB I have with the heavier octagon barrel. And probably other Forum members have one, too.
I'd bet CT and others might say that we're all working on a developing Popeye arms with that rifle every time we go to the range!! :lol:
Feels today like I picked up about 3/4" more "muskel" yesterday....yuk-yuk-yuk.
0 x

~Пока~