Spring has sprung. Get out and shoot your Henry

45-70 range report

Put your range reports for all brands and types of firearms and other items.
Frank V
Cowhand
United States of America

Re: 45-70 range report

Post by Frank V » Sun Apr 17, 2016 3:47 pm

Travlin wrote:Will your rifle feed 500 grain loads? I know most Marlins won't unless the bullet is seated deeper than normal.

You will have to seat a 500gr bullet deeper to function through the Marlin & probably the Henry too.
The 500gr Hornaday JSPs he shows are for the .458 Win Mag. I've shot a lot of them through the .458.
I'd be surprised if they open up at .45-70 velocities, but they would surely penetrate. Might be a great bullet for Bears.
You'd have to seat them deeper & greatly reduce your loads to start with. Maybe use trapdoor data to start?
1 x

JEBar
Town Marshal / Deputy Admin
United States of America

Post by JEBar » Sun Apr 17, 2016 4:03 pm

Frank V wrote:
Travlin wrote:Will your rifle feed 500 grain loads? I know most Marlins won't unless the bullet is seated deeper than normal.

You will have to seat a 500gr bullet deeper to function through the Marlin & probably the Henry too.
The 500gr Hornaday JSPs he shows are for the .458 Win Mag. I've shot a lot of them through the .458.
I'd be surprised if they open up at .45-70 velocities, but they would surely penetrate. Might be a great bullet for Bears.
You'd have to seat them deeper & greatly reduce your loads to start with. Maybe use trapdoor data to start?
again from Buffalo Bore's website : "This bullet is a solid and won't mushroom and thus will penetrate 5 to 6 feet in muscle and bone." .... I can't think of any critter I'm even remotely likely to hunt that needs a bullet that will penetrate 5 to 6 feet in muscle and bone .. :shock: .. even so, it would be nice to have a few rounds of such ammo that is capable of doing so .. :D .. talk about conversation pieces .. :idea:
0 x

Travlin
Cowboy

Post by Travlin » Sun Apr 17, 2016 8:52 pm

Maybe if you could get two or three of them to stand in line one behind the other one shot would do it. Better make it early in the morning as it would take the rest of the day skinning etc.
1 x

Squatch
Cattle Driver
United States of America

Post by Squatch » Wed Apr 20, 2016 7:42 pm

So far I've shot a few light handloads with the Missouri Bullet company coated 300 gr and 405 gr bullets. Pushed by a light load of Unique powder. Same load for each weight. I haven't Chrono'ed them yet but should be around 1,000fps. Recoil is about the same as .44 mag in my Big Boy. I could shoot these all day. I have 60 more loaded and intend to really test them next week.
0 x
Any load data discussed by me is for entertainment purposes only. I can not condone or be responsible for it's use by others.

Squatch
Cattle Driver
United States of America

Post by Squatch » Wed Apr 20, 2016 7:49 pm

PT7 wrote:
Squatch wrote:Looks like yours is shooting pretty well. I need to get the Skinner sight mounted on mine. That recoil pad makes those long range days more pleasant. The brass ones don't have that.

I've shot the HSM's. Not bad shooting at all. Buffalo bore is a whole 'nother story. Their specialty is HOT HEAVY rounds. +P+ in every caliber. A lot of their loads are Ruger only.
I don't quite understand what you mean regarding Buffalo Bore ammo in your very last sentence?
I wasn't speaking specifically of the Buffalo Bore 45/70's. Just their ammo in general. They are known for making heavy hunting rounds. Many of which come with warnings that they only be shot in Ruger and Freedom Arms type revolvers. The hottest loading info for the 45/70 in several of my loading manuals says the same thing. Only safe to shoot in Ruger #1 rifle and similar. So I assumed that Buffalo Bore made a similar for the 45/70. I haven't checked lately. Most of their ammo is a little spendy for me. Nor do I have a need for that level of performance.
0 x
Any load data discussed by me is for entertainment purposes only. I can not condone or be responsible for it's use by others.

PT7
Drover
United States of America

Post by PT7 » Wed Apr 20, 2016 9:16 pm

Thanks, Squatch....I get what you mean now. I had a little personal experience with the Buffalo Bore ammo in my revolver a couple of years ago, and somewhat forgot about it when I read your comment.

Back then I was considering using my Ruger SP101 4.2" revolver for deer hunting. I contacted a fellow who has an internet business and evaluates firearms. He extensively uses Buffalo Bore ammo. I asked him what he would recommend in Buffalo Bore ammo to use for deer hunting. He suggested BUFFALO-BARNES LEAD-FREE HEAVY 357 Mag 140 gr. XPB @ 1550 fps. I bought a 20-round box (yes, it is spendy ammo) and test shot some rounds at a target from the actual deer blind I hunt from. My thoughts were that the 140 gr. round would be just fine, as I've shot stout 158 gr rounds at times. Boy, was I ever wrong. :shock: The first shot almost took the revolver away from me!

After that testing, I went to the Buffalo Bore web site and read a brief press release that was written for this ammo, including some velocities out of specific guns. Although my SP101 is not listed, I think it would mostly align with the S&W MT Gun with 4" barrel. I should have read this release before trying the ammo -- I might have been more prepared! As you said "Their specialty is HOT HEAVY rounds. +P+ in every caliber." You're spot on -- I can testify to that! ;)

Thanks for getting back on this.

Just for an interesting read, here's the press release (the underlining is mine), and a picture of the ammo I shot:

For those wanting/needing a lead-free, HEAVY 357 Magnum load, generating full power plus, here it is.
Hunting ammo for SP101 or Henry Big Boy
Hunting ammo for SP101 or Henry Big Boy
Below are real world velocities taken from personal stock guns. The industry-established use of long laboratory test barrels that give false high velocity readings is essentially misleading to the public who won’t be firing the ammo from a laboratory test barrel in the real world, where it matters.

➤ 1947 fps—Marlin mod 1894, 18 inch barrel
➤ 1518 fps—S&W mod 27, 5 inch barrel
➤ 1519 fps—S&W MT Gun, 4 inch barrel
➤ 1436 fps—S&W mod 66, 3 inch barrel
➤ 1385 fps—S&W mod 66, 2.5 inch barrel

Due to the long-for-weight all copper bullet, the 357 does not have the case capacity to use a bulky flash retarded powder and thus there is a noticeable muzzle flash with this load in all the test revolvers, however the rifle shows no flash at all due to its longer barrel.

This load is the typical barn-burning, turbo charged, Buffalo Bore type HEAVY 357 Mag. load and as such, should only be used in revolvers made of all steel. It should not be fired in light weight, alloy framed or cylindered revolvers. Feel free to use it in ANY/ALL 357 mag. chambered rifles and all steel revolvers/handguns.[/i]
0 x

~Пока~

Frank V
Cowhand
United States of America

Post by Frank V » Thu Apr 21, 2016 12:28 pm

I have only shot Buffalo Bore ammo in the 9mm & .38 Special, but in both guns chronographed velocity exceeded factory listings.
I like it in those two & have no reason to believe it wouldn't be liked in the .45-70 too
0 x

JEBar
Town Marshal / Deputy Admin
United States of America

Post by JEBar » Thu Apr 21, 2016 2:28 pm

updated range reports .... earlier today I took our 45-70 back to Jay Henges shooting park .... the results can be seen below .... 12 rounds fired from a bench rest, in 3 4-shot groups, at 75 yards .... next time we go out, I plan to move back to 100 yards
Attachments
160421 001 45-70 @ Jay Henges 003.jpg
160421 001 45-70 @ Jay Henges 002.jpg
2 x

PT7
Drover
United States of America

Post by PT7 » Thu Apr 21, 2016 3:00 pm

Very good groups...excellent shooting.
I'd bet your 100-yard target will be shredded the same way.

BTW, it would be nice if you could "carry home" a couple of booths and yardages from Jay Henges, wouldn't it?!? I'm sure glad you're able to spend some time there. Enjoy.
0 x

~Пока~

CT_Shooter
Administrator emeritus
United States of America

Post by CT_Shooter » Thu Apr 21, 2016 3:41 pm

Excellent shooting, JEBar! Thanks for the report and pictures.
0 x
H006M Big Boy Brass .357 - H001 Classic .22LR - Uberti / Taylors & Co. SmokeWagon .357 5.5" - Uberti / Taylors & Co. RanchHand .22LR 5.5"