Spring has sprung. Get out and shoot your Henry

Cowgirl Corner: another single shot

Put your range reports for all brands and types of firearms and other items.
North Country Gal
Firearms Advisor
United States of America

Cowgirl Corner: another single shot

Post by North Country Gal » Sun Jul 02, 2017 3:48 pm

Now that we no longer reload, we've been selling off guns chambered in cartridges that are too expensive to shoot and replacing them with guns chambered for cartridges that we can afford to shoot. At the same time, we've also sold off and/or trimmed back on brands of guns that have given us too many headaches in the past and used the proceeds to finance more guns in brands that have been winners for us. Overall, our collection has shrunk slightly in numbers, but overall, quality has improved.

One of the big winners for us have been these Miroku made Winchester Low Wall single shot rimfires. In fact, it's now at a point where we take one of these on every range trip, regardless of what else we are shooting. If the best gun is the one you shoot the most, these 1885 Winchester single shot rimfires are definite contenders.

Here's our latest. It's another Rimfire Hunter, this one in 22 mag. It wears an excellent Leupold VX 2, 4-12x. AO scope. It now makes three of these Hunter models, one in 22 LR, one in 17 HMR and now this one in 22 mag. In addition, we also have the Classic Low Wall in 22 LR set up with a tang peep.

The wood on this one is especially nice. Pics don't do it justice.

What impresses me about these Low Wall rimfires is the amazing consistency, one to the next. Functionally and fit and finish wise, these guns are identical, right down to exactly the same nice 3.5 pound crisp trigger on all three. When was the last time you bought even two of any model gun with exactly the same action and trigger, right out of the box?

Only made one trip, so far, with the 22 mag, to get it sighted in, but very pleased with the accuracy, so far. Here's an 8 shot group that was almost a wall hanger, first time out, last week. As expected, the gun likes the poly tipped stuff. All my 22 mags have.

Bill helped me out by shooting up some of the cheaper 22 mag ammo we had on the shelf. He's really fallen in love with these Winchester single shots, by the way. He even prefers them to our CZs and that is saying a lot. I think he enjoys the simplicity of loading and operating these Low Wall single shots. I do, too. Just something very special about dropping that lever and loading another one. Very addictive, all the more so when the gun is of this quality.

Speaking of 22 mag, we have been seeing lots of availability on this ammo in our area and prices are coming down, too. This is a good thing, because I've always enjoyed shooting the 22 mag. I think it's a bit less wind sensitive than the 17 HMR at 100 yards, too. Hopefully, we'll get out to see what this new Winchester Low Wall Hunter in 22 mag can do at 100 yards, soon.
3 x

Sir Henry
Administrator / Owner
United States of America

Re: Cowgirl Corner: another single shot

Post by Sir Henry » Sun Jul 02, 2017 4:08 pm

Great shooting! I like those poly tipped .22WMR also. I've found they are the most accurate. My shooting has changed over the decades. For a long time I liked military surplus, then I was into cowboy, now I'm thinking more single shot rimfires. And I'm thinking more pellets too. Going to the range is a time consuming effort both in driving and packing everything into the van.
0 x
Hi, my name is Gene and I'm a Henryholic from Wisconsin.

Range Reporter: Henry Repeater

North Country Gal
Firearms Advisor
United States of America

Post by North Country Gal » Sun Jul 02, 2017 5:14 pm

Thanks

I think those poly tipped 22 mags have been a real game changer for the 22 mag. There was a time when the 22 mag load selection was pretty minimal and nothing available in the way of premium accuracy stuff. Have always enjoyed the 22 mag, though. Love the 17 HMR, too, and I think it's more consistently accurate, but nice to have the option of shooting bigger bullets with the 22 mag.

The air gun/rimfire combo has been a good one for us. We still do a couple of range trips per week this time of year and even when we do shoot centerfire, there's always some rimfire shooting, too. Even with my Contenders, a lot of barrels are rimfire. Oh, I still do some crazy cartridges with the Contender, but the bulk of our cartridge gun collection is rimfire and the percentage is increasing.
0 x

BigAl52
Forum Ambassador
United States of America

Post by BigAl52 » Sun Jul 02, 2017 7:56 pm

Ive always liked those low walls just never pulled the trigger to own one. Very nice 22 mag.
0 x
Don't worry about getting older and still doing stupid stuff. You'll do the stupid stuff as always, only much slower. Hold my beer and watch this.......

H001T .22LR
H001T .22LR MONUMENT VALLEY
H003T PUMP .22LR
BBS .41 MAG
SS .357
SIDE GATE 38-55

RanchRoper
Forum Ambassador
Canada

Post by RanchRoper » Sun Jul 02, 2017 8:47 pm

That is some great shooting. Sweet rifle too.
0 x
1860 Colt SA Richards Conversion Revolver .45C
1860 Henry .45C
1885 High Wall .45C
1820-1840 Frontier Percussion .50
1790-1820 Frontier Flintlock .50

Ohkínohkomit - Shoot skillfully