Spring has sprung. Get out and shoot your Henry

50' with open sights

Put your range reports for all brands and types of firearms and other items.
bandit1250
Cowboy
United States of America

50' with open sights

Post by bandit1250 » Mon Jun 19, 2017 6:40 am

I shot at 50' with the factory open sights with my CZ 452 FS to see how I could do with it. They shoot a monthly match like this on the CZ forum on Rimfire Central. I had some time this evening after working on my home most of the day and thought I could relax and shoot some targets while waiting for supper. It was nice conditions for shooting with no wind. These targets with open sights can cause some eye strain and I think the longer you try to focus before the shot the more blurry the target seems to get. I shot from home made bags from my Caldwell portable bench on my back porch. The targets I shot are a little different than the shooters on the CZ forum shoot and I don't know if they offer an advantage or not. I think I did O.K. No idea what happened on number 24 but I guess it is part of the game to send one or more out from a bad shot. I doubt I will enter into this game any time soon with a lot more work to be done here before the weather turns bad later in the year. It is kind of fun to shoot this target and is more challenging than shooting groups all at the same bulls eye. Here is my target with the CZ.
4 x

PT7
Drover
United States of America

Re: 50' with open sights

Post by PT7 » Mon Jun 19, 2017 8:31 am

Where can I get some of these targets? I'd like to try them out with my SGC.
Thanks.

bandit1250 wrote: It is kind of fun to shoot this target and is more challenging than shooting groups all at the same bulls eye. Here is my target with the CZ.
2 x

~Пока~

JEBar
Town Marshal / Deputy Admin
United States of America

Post by JEBar » Mon Jun 19, 2017 8:43 am

nicely done .... that would be an interesting target to shoot
1 x

RanchRoper
Forum Ambassador
Canada

Post by RanchRoper » Mon Jun 19, 2017 8:52 am

We'll done. I want to try that too!
1 x
1860 Colt SA Richards Conversion Revolver .45C
1860 Henry .45C
1885 High Wall .45C
1820-1840 Frontier Percussion .50
1790-1820 Frontier Flintlock .50

Ohkínohkomit - Shoot skillfully

North Country Gal
Firearms Advisor
United States of America

Post by North Country Gal » Mon Jun 19, 2017 12:00 pm

Me, too. Nicely done. Picked a great rifle to do it, too.

Good point on shooting the open sights as far as getting blurry if you stare too long. I've found that I have a certain window of sharpness to get the shot done. If I go past that, I back off and give my eyes a rest and try again. Also, I always shoot my iron sighted guns, first, in a range session when I have other guns, along. My old eyes can still see the sights sharp enough, but eye fatigue does set in faster it seems.
3 x

Les
Cowboy
South Africa

Post by Les » Mon Jun 19, 2017 3:56 pm

Nice shooting, bandit! ;)

Number 24 could have been the ammunition. Unless you use match grade ammo [and sometimes even if you do], you are always likely to get the occasional flier.
1 x

Sir Henry
Administrator / Owner
United States of America

Post by Sir Henry » Tue Jun 20, 2017 3:20 pm

Great offhand shooting. I find that when I'm about ready to shoot I hold my breath which means I have about three seconds to get the round off before my eyes start to blur. If I can't do it in three seconds I go through the cycle of deep breathing to build oxygen in the blood back up and then hold my breath again.
0 x
Hi, my name is Gene and I'm a Henryholic from Wisconsin.

Range Reporter: Henry Repeater

bandit1250
Cowboy
United States of America

Post by bandit1250 » Tue Jun 20, 2017 3:27 pm

Sir Henry wrote:Great offhand shooting. I find that when I'm about ready to shoot I hold my breath which means I have about three seconds to get the round off before my eyes start to blur. If I can't do it in three seconds I go through the cycle of deep breathing to build oxygen in the blood back up and then hold my breath again.
I can only wish that was shot off hand. I shot from my portable Caldwell bench off of home made sand bags from my porch out back. I need some practice off hand but it would still not be like this target. NCG would tear that bulls eye up off hand. :o :)
0 x

Sir Henry
Administrator / Owner
United States of America

Post by Sir Henry » Tue Jun 20, 2017 4:38 pm

bandit1250 wrote:
Sir Henry wrote:Great offhand shooting. I find that when I'm about ready to shoot I hold my breath which means I have about three seconds to get the round off before my eyes start to blur. If I can't do it in three seconds I go through the cycle of deep breathing to build oxygen in the blood back up and then hold my breath again.
I can only wish that was shot off hand. I shot from my portable Caldwell bench off of home made sand bags from my porch out back. I need some practice off hand but it would still not be like this target. NCG would tear that bulls eye up off hand. :o :)
Don't know how I missed that (bad pun). I reread it and you clearly stated it was from "homemade bags".
0 x
Hi, my name is Gene and I'm a Henryholic from Wisconsin.

Range Reporter: Henry Repeater