Spring has sprung. Get out and shoot your Henry

Mr Ambassador Unique test

Put your range reports for all brands and types of firearms and other items.
Squatch
Cattle Driver
United States of America

Mr Ambassador Unique test

Post by Squatch » Thu May 18, 2017 12:05 pm

Yesterday I decided to do the bullet test. This is a light load I had fun with last year. So I used this same load of 8 gr Unique with 4 different bullets in the 44 mag. All of them 240 gr.
Basic protocol was shoot 10 shots at 1 target over the Chrono. Then shoot for a 5 shot group on 2nd. Between each shot I was recording speed over the chrono. After testing a bullet I let the gun cool a little before starting next test. It was hot out. High 80's. All tests at 50 yds.

First up is the Berry's 240 gr RNFP copper plated. This is a little skewed as I still had the sights set for 100 yds from last session. So I blew some shots before I got zero'd in.

Over the Chrono
Low = 968
High = 1,072
Avg = 1,008 fps

1st target 4 of 10 on paper.

5 shot group 4+"

2nd test. Berry's 240 gr copper plated target hollow points.
Low = 1,011
High = 1,094
Avg = 1,051 fps

1st target. There are 10 shot on this target. Can you find them? 3 in bullseye. If I don't include the 3 sorta flyers this is a 1.75" group.

The wide group here was probably more me than the load.

3rd test. Missouri Bullet Company 240 gr coated RNFP.
Low = 1,111
High = 1,180
Avg = 1,160 fps

Me or hot gun? Who knows!

4th test. MBC Lead RNFP 240. Same bullet as above without the coating. At this point I only shot lead the rest of the day in case of fouling.
Only shot 2 5 round groups.
Low = 1,167
High = 1,204
Avg = 1,182 fps

Not sure there are any distinct winners here. I guess I have to shoot some more! :lol:
As always i have a slight frustration with the unique loads. Even when dialed in there always seems to be a round or 2 with a mind of their own. This may come from the fact that Unique has such a low fill power in the case. Even when I try to get very precise with weighing. A couple of kernels of powder account for a lot.

Any of these loads would be great for light recoil shooting on steel plates at 50 yds all day long. Probably not the best powder for trying to shoot tight groups at 100 yds.
3 x
Any load data discussed by me is for entertainment purposes only. I can not condone or be responsible for it's use by others.

DAVIDF
Cowhand
United States of America

Re: Mr Ambassador Unique test

Post by DAVIDF » Thu May 18, 2017 12:22 pm

Good group with the Berrys copper plated hollow point. I believe they have a heavier plating than the RNFP. At least some plated bullet manufacturers do that with their hollow point target bullets.

That is a bit bigger difference in velocity than I would have expected with the plated. I think they may be even slower with the same powder charge than a jacketed bullet based on your test and another one I read about.

I was not able to get the best groups with Unique with a 240 gr SWC out of my Big Boy. I may try Unique with some 200 gr RNFP sized at .432 that has been rather accurate with Red Dot. I am not sure if the issue with the SWC's was the powder charge or that they were sized at .431. I may also try some of the SWC's with 6.5gr of Red Dot as I have some loaded that I used for my revolvers.

Thank you for the nice report and great information!
0 x
Made by Henry, Or Not Made At All

PT7
Drover
United States of America

Re: Mr Ambassador Unique test

Post by PT7 » Thu May 18, 2017 12:32 pm

Squatch wrote:
Not sure there are any distinct winners here. I guess I have to shoot some more! :lol:

Yeah! The best part of any range day after checking results is looking forward to the next one. :D

Any of these loads would be great for light recoil shooting on steel plates at 50 yds all day long. Probably not the best powder for trying to shoot tight groups at 100 yds.

All of your targets look properly & nicely torn up -- some good POIs displayed, Squatch. Sounds good about shooting (clanging) black steel targets....I like to mix that up with the splash targets group shooting, and really have a lot of shooting fun that way. Thanks for your Range Report.
0 x

~Пока~