Spring has sprung. Get out and shoot your Henry

Stand and Shoot

Put your range reports for all brands and types of firearms and other items.
CT_Shooter
Administrator emeritus
United States of America

Re: Stand and Shoot

Post by CT_Shooter » Fri May 19, 2017 4:49 pm

Ojaileveraction wrote:Decided to try my Henry Center fire in the Big Bore match Saturday. So I had a practice session this morning. 357 mag 125gr soft point over H110.
Thanks for the great photos and updates. Good luck at the match tomorrow! I'm looking forward to reading your report.

I also reload and shoot a .357 BBB, but I've been reluctant to use H110 with 125gr jacketed bullets because they require so much powder. I've read that 16.2 gr of H-110 is a 100% full case (http://rugerforum.net/reloading/28008-h ... post291744). To avoid that (I've only got a few years experience and I'm more than a bit cautious), I've used other powders including Unique, Universal, and HP-38 with those bullets.

Have you been using H110 with 125s for a while?
0 x
H006M Big Boy Brass .357 - H001 Classic .22LR - Uberti / Taylors & Co. SmokeWagon .357 5.5" - Uberti / Taylors & Co. RanchHand .22LR 5.5"

Ojaileveraction
Cowboy
United States of America

Post by Ojaileveraction » Fri May 19, 2017 5:23 pm

CT_Shooter
I use the 1 book one Caliber load books.
I first reloaded 357 with Unique and HP-38 but then wanted to try a slower powder that filled the case better.
I always start low and work up, keeping a eye out for any over pressure signs.
I can feel a difference shooting but haven't seen a difference at the target.
While experimenting with powders and bullet weights I've also been trying different sights. So results can sometimes be a mish-mash.
Internet forum loading data should be tempered with data published by the people that make the bullets and powder you use.
I will tell you that while 16.2 gr H110 maybe a compressed load , maybe, it doesn't fill the case.
1 x
Pax at Justitia

CT_Shooter
Administrator emeritus
United States of America

Post by CT_Shooter » Fri May 19, 2017 8:17 pm

Ojaileveraction wrote: Internet forum loading data should be tempered with data published by the people that make the bullets and powder you use.
I agree. I never use data other than is published. I really like H110 for 158gr jacketed bullets, but I load them using data for revolvers rather than for rifles, so that I can use them in both; revolvers have a starting charge that is quite a bit more than the starting charge for rifles and I like to stay in the middle of the range (I told you I was more than a bit cautious). ;)

Again, good luck at the match tomorrow. It should be a lot of fun.
0 x
H006M Big Boy Brass .357 - H001 Classic .22LR - Uberti / Taylors & Co. SmokeWagon .357 5.5" - Uberti / Taylors & Co. RanchHand .22LR 5.5"

PT7
Drover
United States of America

Post by PT7 » Fri May 19, 2017 8:30 pm

Will you have someone there to take some pictures when you compete? That would be really cool to see.
Enjoy yourself, be safe, shoot well, and "bring home the gold!" :D
0 x

~Пока~

Ojaileveraction
Cowboy
United States of America

Post by Ojaileveraction » Wed May 24, 2017 12:05 am

Between helping set up Rim Fire, Pistol Caliber and the Big Bore, I just realized that's 120 targets, and then helping new Shooters and acting as an RSO I didn't get any pictures or shoot any scoring shots.
Still. I had a great day shooting. We shoot a "Shot Gun" style match. Shooters start at differen target stations but progress in the same order. I would take an empty spot and take ten shots in a two minuts stage. I rarely get to pratice on standing targets like this and I was able to Shoot big bore targets with the Marlin 30-30 and the Henry 357. Did better by far with the 357, even knocking down a couple Rams . Also PC targets with the 22 mag Octagon.
Of corse we had to pick-up and put away all those tagets afterwards.
1 x
Pax at Justitia