Spring has sprung. Get out and shoot your Henry

Range Report_SGC and Me

Put your range reports for all brands and types of firearms and other items.
PT7
Drover
United States of America

Range Report_SGC and Me

Post by PT7 » Tue Mar 29, 2016 7:04 pm

As an intro, I wrote this in "Our morning Coffee" today:

I'll be at the range today, second time with my new .22LR Henry. Plan to try out two different-sized Skinner apertures in the peep sight. Just for fun I bought a Henry rimfire Spee-D-Loader and have that ready to try out for the first time, too.

I'm only taking a couple of paper targets, and may not even use them. I plan to mostly shoot at this potpourri: a reactive target roped and swinging from a tree branch, my 10" steel target, 3" x 3" alum cans set on tree trunks, and 2-1/2" shotshells.

I just want to walk around a bit today, and shoot the potpourri at different distances, all off hand. Less concentration on that red bullseye, which at times is just more fun to do! :)

Sir Henry wrote back and noted that I needed to provide “pictures and details.” I have some of both. ;)

DETAILS
The Henry --SGC in .22LR caliber
The Ammo – Federal 40gr AutoMatch (80 rounds); Aguila 40gr HV (30 rounds)
The Distances – 16, 25, 33, and 55 yards
The Shooting Stance – Off Hand
The Weather – Sunny, 67 degrees, low humidity, strong winds at +25 mph (No impact on shooting, right??)
The Sighting – Rotated three Skinner peep sight apertures, .040” .070” .096” (stock size on the SGC).

THE TARGETS & SHOOTING
I nailed this 3” target on a tree at 16 yards (paper plate is 8”). I always take one target like this and a little time to loosen up the trigger finger, and get the eyes into the sights. Also tried the three Skinner apertures, largest to smallest. The smallest brought my POIs more toward the bullseye, so that was good to see. 20 rounds sent to this one. (What I’m really doing with this practice target is taking deep breaths and hoping I’ll just hit it!).
SGC_16 yards.JPG
SGC_16 yards.JPG (134.14 KiB) Viewed 3700 times
This orange target is also 3”, and the range was at 25 yards. Shot 10 rounds, but 3 went back into the woods. Used the .040” aperture. (Someday I’ll bring home some targets with no rounds “left in the woods”).
SGC_25_yards.JPG
SGC_25_yards.JPG (129.31 KiB) Viewed 3700 times
These aluminum cans are 3” x 3”. My friend is getting ready to plant his garden nearby his shooting range, and I "borrowed" one of his tomato cages, stood it upside down against a tree, and stuck the cans on the stakes that go into the ground. The wind was also playing with these cans, but it was a fun challenge. I popped them around at 25 yards range.
SGC_25 yards.JPG
SGC_25 yards.JPG (131.52 KiB) Viewed 3700 times
For the rest of the afternoon's shooting, I have no pictures. Please trust me. I shot at a 10” steel target first at 55 yards, and used the .070” aperture. This SGC sure is an accurate rifle. I landed (heard the dings and saw the black paint move) 17 out of 20 rounds. I like that sound!

Then I re-painted the target, and measured myself out to 33 yards for a little rapid fire drill. 19 dings out of 20 rounds! Happy shooter again. But I learned something with the rapid fire sequence. The larger lever on this SGC, as opposed to the standard lever on my .357 BBB, sure handles differently. Still have some learning to do.

I didn't shoot at the 12ga shotshells today. They wouldn't stay standing up in the wind! 8-)

RANGE DAY REFLECTION
~~~The SGC is definitely a hoot to shoot – I enjoy it very much.
~~~I made a great decision to get the smaller-than-stock apertures for the Skinner peep sight. Still have more learning (again and always!) on how best to use these, but got the start today. I’m very pleased with the set up/configuration of my Henry.

~~~Lastly, I did use the Henry SPEE-D-Loader for the first time. A neat tool. And I can see it will be useful in colder weather rather than loading one bullet at a time.

Until another day, another range report.....
1 x

~Пока~

ace73
Cattle Driver
United States of America

Re: Range Report_SGC and Me

Post by ace73 » Tue Mar 29, 2016 7:57 pm

Great report PT7! Sounds like you had a good time!
The SGC is on my list! I'll keep in mind about trying different apertures!
0 x

White Squirrel
Cattle Driver
United States of America

Post by White Squirrel » Tue Mar 29, 2016 8:14 pm

Thanks for that report, PT7.

Might have to put the SGC on my short list after your report.

I really like the Skinner peep sights, but I only have the standard aperture. Now I may have to buy the whole set.

I picked up one of the SPEE-D loaders a couple of years ago and use it all the time. Love it.

Come to think of it, maybe I don't like this report. Now I am going to spend more money and my wife is going to be mad at me again! :D
0 x
Henry Frontier .22LR

Sir Henry
Administrator / Owner
United States of America

Post by Sir Henry » Tue Mar 29, 2016 8:20 pm

Great report. I replaced the OEM large loop for the small loop on this SGC just because it shortens the stroke although if you work the lever with your middle finger against the forward part of the loop it reduces the stroke on the large levers.

1 x
Hi, my name is Gene and I'm a Henryholic from Wisconsin.

Range Reporter: Henry Repeater

RetiredSeabee
Administrator
United States of America

Post by RetiredSeabee » Tue Mar 29, 2016 10:01 pm

Great report, glad you could get in some trigger time.
0 x
Load on Sunday and Shoot all Week.......okay it's a Mare's Leg I will reload on Wednesday. ;)

Travlin
Cowboy

Post by Travlin » Wed Mar 30, 2016 9:50 pm

Thanks much for the report. I was specially interested in the SPEED-D LOADER report. I phoned an order to HRA for one about a month ago. I told the man that answered to be sure and tell the boss that I did have one of the Colt 1851 Navy second generation and that it was very accurate . I knew that Mr. I. and his late father were responsible for making them. When the box came, the invoice said no charge.
0 x

Squatch
Cattle Driver
United States of America

Post by Squatch » Wed Mar 30, 2016 10:01 pm

Thanks for sharing. I love my GB. But those SGC are quite the bang for the buck. Probably balance a little better too with the shorter barrel.
0 x
Any load data discussed by me is for entertainment purposes only. I can not condone or be responsible for it's use by others.

PT7
Drover
United States of America

Post by PT7 » Wed Mar 30, 2016 10:30 pm

Travlin wrote:Thanks much for the report. I was specially interested in the SPEED-D LOADER report. I phoned an order to HRA for one about a month ago. I told the man that answered to be sure and tell the boss that I did have one of the Colt 1851 Navy second generation and that it was very accurate . I knew that Mr. I. and his late father were responsible for making them. When the box came, the invoice said no charge.
Not at all a surprise, Travlin. I've read any number of similar CS kudos like you just experienced -- the Henry president and his people work very hard at that. And I have had my own good experiences with them over the last several years. Great place to do business, and great rifles!
Thanks for sharing your story.
0 x

~Пока~

Catherine
Cattle Driver
United States of America

Post by Catherine » Thu Mar 31, 2016 12:33 am

Good range report.

Thank you!

Cate
0 x

RoadBlocker
Tenderfoot
United States of America

Post by RoadBlocker » Thu Mar 31, 2016 3:10 am

We feed our 3 Henry's with spee-d-loader. What a time saver. Great invention.
0 x