Spring has sprung. Get out and shoot your Henry

Range Report: Silhouette at Seven

Put your range reports for all brands and types of firearms and other items.
PT7
Drover
United States of America

Range Report: Silhouette at Seven

Post by PT7 » Wed Dec 21, 2016 10:05 am

I'm getting more "hooked" on shooting this O/U derringer! Last week I shot it using my .357 Magnum barrel. Yesterday I went back to the indoor range and spent some good (and long) time shooting with my 3" - .22LR barrel.
derringer_422r.jpg
My goal was to get a better handle on the fixed sights, and also smooth out my reloading. The first range time using the .22LR, I had difficulty loading and ejecting shells using the manual ejector. Yesterday I definitely improved for both goals.

I shot 115 rounds from 5 yards and 7 yards, with CCI 40gr SV-LRN, Federal 40gr Auto Match, and Remington 40gr Golden Bullets, HV-PLRN.  Based on my POIs, the derringer liked the CCI ammo best.

Take a glance at my three targets:  two 6" orange round, and a standard 7"x11" head silhouette.  Shot at the silhouette last (30 rounds, mostly CCI), and I liked my POI results.  Only four early-on rounds outside of the silhouette...the 4th is hard to see at the very top of head.  The paper target is somewhat torn from the target hanger. This last target is where I got a pretty good handle on my sight radius.
DSCN1744.JPG
DSCN1745.JPG
DSCN1742.JPG
It was a very fun/enjoyable shoot yesterday. Next time I head out with the derringer I will use a new barrel I ordered a while ago.  Bond Arms is shipping it to me this week.  Ever since I had my first BA derringer almost four years ago, I've wondered what the .45LC/.410 would be like to shoot?  Well, I should know before long....that's the new barrel coming my way.  I doubt if I'll shoot many .45LC rounds....it's spendy ammo.  I think I'll probably start with HSM 200gr cowboy ammo...wonder what will the recoil will feel like? ;) For the shotgun ammo, I picked up a box (5 rounds) of .410 - 000 buck yesterday.  It is a 3-pellet shot, so it will be interesting to see the pattern spread on those.  Can't get much closer to a single-shot handgun! A fun-fun gun. :)

I haven't forgotten about my Henry SGC. Just prefer shooting outdoors. But after shooting the .22LR rounds yesterday, I think I'll take the rifle to the indoor range next week. I'm limited to 25 yards, but to again shoot my Henry will be great...it's been a while now. Too long to wait for warmer spring weather to get outside to the MDC ranges!! ;) Have a great day, Everyone!
2 x

~Пока~

RanchRoper
Forum Ambassador
Canada

Re: Range Report: Silhouette at Seven

Post by RanchRoper » Wed Dec 21, 2016 11:11 am

Good looking targets PT. Your range reports are always nicely detailed, unlike my "shot standing up and it was windy" reports. :)
1 x
1860 Colt SA Richards Conversion Revolver .45C
1860 Henry .45C
1885 High Wall .45C
1820-1840 Frontier Percussion .50
1790-1820 Frontier Flintlock .50

Ohkínohkomit - Shoot skillfully

CT_Shooter
Administrator emeritus
United States of America

Post by CT_Shooter » Wed Dec 21, 2016 11:31 am

That is a "fun gun", PT7. And, it's so versatile. Thanks for another great report. You are definitely getting better with that derringer! Good shooting. I'm looking forward to your review of the new 45LC/.410 barrel.
1 x
H006M Big Boy Brass .357 - H001 Classic .22LR - Uberti / Taylors & Co. SmokeWagon .357 5.5" - Uberti / Taylors & Co. RanchHand .22LR 5.5"

Sir Henry
Administrator / Owner
United States of America

Post by Sir Henry » Wed Dec 21, 2016 11:35 am

The Bond in .410 is a handful. Never tried it with 45LC. If I remember right you have the newer trigger. Bet that makes it more funs at the range.
1 x
Hi, my name is Gene and I'm a Henryholic from Wisconsin.

Range Reporter: Henry Repeater

North Country Gal
Firearms Advisor
United States of America

Post by North Country Gal » Wed Dec 21, 2016 11:49 am

Great range report, PT. Enjoyed it.

Have never shot a derringer, but on a gun like that, I would start out with 45 Colt cowboy loads. Those are as mild as it gets in 45 Colt. Recoil goes up, from there. Accuracy of a 45 Colt in a gun also chambered for the 410 is compromised by that long bullet jump to contact the rifling. Doubt this will be a factor at those derringer ranges, though. Very much so, however, in my Contender 45 Colt/410 barrel out at 25 yards.
1 x

Sir Henry
Administrator / Owner
United States of America

Post by Sir Henry » Wed Dec 21, 2016 11:54 am

North Country Gal wrote:Great range report, PT. Enjoyed it.

Have never shot a derringer, but on a gun like that, I would start out with 45 Colt cowboy loads. Those are as mild as it gets in 45 Colt. Recoil goes up, from there. Accuracy of a 45 Colt in a gun also chambered for the 410 is compromised by that long bullet jump to contact the rifling. Doubt this will be a factor at those derringer ranges, though. Very much so, however, in my Contender 45 Colt/410 barrel out at 25 yards.
What we have found something you haven't shot? This is a first. :lol:
0 x
Hi, my name is Gene and I'm a Henryholic from Wisconsin.

Range Reporter: Henry Repeater

North Country Gal
Firearms Advisor
United States of America

Post by North Country Gal » Wed Dec 21, 2016 12:07 pm

If I haven't shot it, think of it as only temporary. :)
2 x

PT7
Drover
United States of America

Post by PT7 » Wed Dec 21, 2016 12:21 pm

RanchRoper wrote:Good looking targets PT. Your range reports are always nicely detailed, unlike my "shot standing up and it was windy" reports. :)
Appreciate the comment, RR. But your "shot standing up and it was windy" reports have all the same ingredients. You only don't get as darn wordy as I do! :lol: I think that is the main difference.

As an example, next time tell us what your goals are, either with your Henry or Cimarron. Then just get a little wordy, share what you're thinking as you shoot toward the goal....what was good, bad, or ugly about it. Of course, your ammo, the wind, the distance, all play with how you get to that goal....or miss! (Bad word, huh?!?).

Whenever I've read your range reports, I wonder if you're considering a primary use for your firearms when you're out on the range....and that's having your gun in the wide-open country for protection. I don't have the possibility of a angry or hungry critter coming my way like you might. So how does your shooting impact your thinking for that scenario? Do you practice "just in case?" All of these are just some of my questions; for everyone, not only you. The whys and wherefores are always interesting in my book. ;)

My range reports are pretty dull compared to what you have in Alberta as a cowboy, and also if compared to some of the hunting/harvesting reports, which other Henry Folk have posted. Still, my fun is what it is, and just try to share those times here! :D
0 x

~Пока~

PT7
Drover
United States of America

Post by PT7 » Wed Dec 21, 2016 12:26 pm

CT_Shooter wrote:That is a "fun gun", PT7. And, it's so versatile. Thanks for another great report. You are definitely getting better with that derringer! Good shooting. I'm looking forward to your review of the new 45LC/.410 barrel.
Thanks, CT! :) I'm actually a little surprised how much I like this hand-held O/U.

SH kind of brings a caution my way on the derringer recoil. :roll: So if my wrists/hands are okay after running some .45LC and .410 ammo downrange, I'll for sure type up a range report. I do doubt if I'll send 115 rounds out though. :lol:
0 x

~Пока~

PT7
Drover
United States of America

Post by PT7 » Wed Dec 21, 2016 12:31 pm

Sir Henry wrote:The Bond in .410 is a handful. Never tried it with 45LC. If I remember right you have the newer trigger. Bet that makes it more funs at the range.
Yup, SH, I have the re-designed trigger and hammer on my derringer. But again, I don't even notice the trigger while shooting this one. It is quite easy for me to do. However, I do remember the old-style trigger, even as I've read TGS's comments about the BA derringers he shot. That old trigger was a bear-and-a-half to pull and fire. I'm sure pulling so "wildly" to get it to shoot caused me to miss many, many shots with my first gun. No complaints any longer!

And thanks for the notice that the Bond will be "a handful"....looking forward to it. ;)
0 x

~Пока~