Spring has sprung. Get out and shoot your Henry

Range report: Superchrono acoustic chronograph

Put your range reports for all brands and types of firearms and other items.
Mgr2
Wrangler
Norway

Range report: Superchrono acoustic chronograph

Post by Mgr2 » Fri Nov 18, 2016 3:11 am

Hi all.

Yesterday morning I had the opportunity to take a couple of hours off work and and drive to the range, some 25 mins from my home, to enjoy a lull i the bad weather we have had recently. To my surprise there where already a handfull of bench shooters there, taking advantage of a relatively still day.

The previous day I had received my new toy; an acoustic chronograph, and I was eager to try it out. The Superchrono is marketed by a Norwegian company, Steinert Sensing Systems (http://www.steinertsensing.com/), and has been available for 3-4 years now.

The positive aspects of the acoustic chronograph are that it has a large detection area, it is not dependant of good lighting conditions, and it can easily be placed downrange near the target if one wants to record speeds at the target without fearing to hit and destroy the chrono. However it is quite sensitive to the relative bullet path, and must be level with it or the readings will be false.

I was not disappointed: I placed the Superchrono 100 meters downrange near the target, hidden behind a stub I put there. I leveled it with a level tool on my iPhone, and it recorded (accurately it seemed) every shot I fired, except the subsonic ones. Yes, because the Superchrono records the supersonic crack the bullet generates, it will not record bullets that go below the speed of sound.

I did not compare the readings to a 'normal' chrony, since I don't have access to one, but the velocities compared nicely the ones published for the actual loads I shot.

All in all I'm happy with the purchase, and looking forward to doing some more testing :).

0 x
Henry Big Boy Steel .357 mag

White Squirrel
Cattle Driver
United States of America

Re: Range report: Superchrono acoustic chronograph

Post by White Squirrel » Fri Nov 18, 2016 2:19 pm

Interesting. Would love to try one out.

If I did the currency conversion correctly, the Norwegian Kr 2,495.00 converts to $290.50 in US dollars.
1 x
Henry Frontier .22LR

Mgr2
Wrangler
Norway

Post by Mgr2 » Fri Nov 18, 2016 3:48 pm

Yes, it's almost twice the price of an ordinary chrony here. However I see it as an investment for life :-). Also unfortunately the ordinary chronies don't work during the dark season, but this one will.
0 x
Henry Big Boy Steel .357 mag

JEBar
Town Marshal / Deputy Admin
United States of America

Post by JEBar » Fri Nov 18, 2016 5:35 pm

interesting indeed .... we use an old, standard Chrony .... I'd love to see yours in operation
1 x

White Squirrel
Cattle Driver
United States of America

Post by White Squirrel » Fri Nov 18, 2016 5:42 pm

Mgr2 wrote:Yes, it's almost twice the price of an ordinary chrony here. However I see it as an investment for life :-). Also unfortunately the ordinary chronies don't work during the dark season, but this one will.
I agree. I didn't mean that as a criticism, just an observation of fact. It looks appealing because it does do things a regular chrono doesn't.
1 x
Henry Frontier .22LR